Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reno Air Races 2020

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
    Full Disclosure: I am NOT a Dr., a Virologist, or in any way an SME on this Wuhan crap. Just a guy who pays attention and follows the course of events from a variety of sources (NOTE: if you only get your news from CNN, MSNBC or FoxNews, you are NOT well informed). Just sayin...

Given recent developments, it's entirely possible to have a vaccine before the end of the year. Very hopeful signs: https://www.popsci.com/story/health/...ord-september/

As Pete indicates, others are working as diligently as Oxford. And there is always the herd immunity aspect as well, coupled with therapeutics. Will this be around for some time...absolutely. So has influenza...and we didn't shut it down when we didn't have a vaccine and we still don't. And it kills +/- 35K US citizens per year.
    Full disclosure here too. I am not a virologist, epidemiologist, or biologist. FWIW I'm the chief engineer of a small pharmaceutical research company and I work with some of those folks. Our current research is in engineered T-cell vaccines and innovative cancer treatments. Still early in R&D, but we are taking a shot at this one. Before that I did couple decades of engineering devices and drugs for pulmonary drug delivery.

From my experience, there may be a promising vaccine candidate emerging from a phase 2 trial by the end of the year, or early results from a phase 3 trial, but not an approved and widely distributed vaccine. It takes time. It takes resources that are finite. There are mistakes and refinements and clinical trials. And difficulties in scaling up to make ~10 billion doses. Anyone that says they will be have an approved vaccine by end of year ready to distribute is simply over promising. Just one guys opinion, really. I wish it could be done faster. Premature death by flu and cars and guns (not getting into that here) EACH kill about 20-40 K a year. If we had let this one run wild, probably would kill 200k in US this year.

Air Boss... Owen, not trying to spar with you here, just discussing. And THANK YOU for all you do to keep this sport going and for posting your insight here.

Cheers,
    Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Full disclosure here too. I am not a virologist, epidemiologist, or biologist. FWIW I'm the chief engineer of a small pharmaceutical research company and I work with some of those folks. Our current research is in engineered T-cell vaccines and innovative cancer treatments. Still early in R&D, but we are taking a shot at this one. Before that I did couple decades of engineering devices and drugs for pulmonary drug delivery.

From my experience, there may be a promising vaccine candidate emerging from a phase 2 trial by the end of the year, or early results from a phase 3 trial, but not an approved and widely distributed vaccine. It takes time. It takes resources that are finite. There are mistakes and refinements and clinical trials. And difficulties in scaling up to make ~10 billion doses. Anyone that says they will be have an approved vaccine by end of year ready to distribute is simply over promising. Just one guys opinion, really. I wish it could be done faster. Premature death by flu and cars and guns (not getting into that here) EACH kill about 20-40 K a year. If we had let this one run wild, probably would kill 200k in US this year.

Air Boss... Owen, not trying to spar with you here, just discussing. And THANK YOU for all you do to keep this sport going and for posting your insight here.

Cheers,
      Pete
      No sparring intended here either, Pete. Just good discussion and sharing points of view (something our current crop of politicians can't seem to manage). And clearly you're more than a bit closer to the nuts and bolts of this thing. I'm just a layman trying to garner as much info as I can to make informed decisions.

Found the Oxford approach interesting, basing the development on the SARS COV-2 virus (yet another one brought to you by the good folks in China). Hopefully this, along with several others, results in an expedited testing program and ultimately a vaccine that can be widely distributed. I'd be curious to know if there are multiple approaches used to develop a vaccine(s) that results in more than one "approved" vaccine, how would that work? Dunno...

And thanks, Pete. I've been involved at Reno since 2002 (started as pylon judge, then deputy chief judge before my newest gig). I try to share what I can when I can. And just as you say...one man's opinion. That and $5.00 will get you a latte at Starbucks (drive thru or curbside only, tho!).

Be well and thanks for your insights here as well.
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
        Reading this thread to my wife and deciding what we will be doing in September she makes the statement that "we are going anyway." We are going anyway!

We'll be there too! In 2011 my (then teenage) daughter came up to me at our camp site at St. Michael's, tears in her eyes, and said "Dad, what's going to happen next year? This what we do in September!" I told her that even if Reno was over, we'd still be there, sitting in lawn chairs on the ramp, making airplane noises if we had to.

Comment

I watched a video of Dennis Sanders saying that if for some reason the Races ended, they would still be there. Now I don't hold anyone to anything like that, but who knows.

Comment

They just Cancelled the Reno Rodeo for this year .....

Comment

Originally posted by AiRick View Post
              They just Cancelled the Reno Rodeo for this year .....
              The rodeo takes place only 5 weeks from now....
              Random Air Blog

Comment

Good thing the Races are later in the summer. Hopefully the Hot August Nights stays ! If. so we may be OK .

Comment

I remain cautiously optimistic that we'll be racing in September.

As things move forward I would not be surprised to see the pace pick up RE: what gets opened and when. Perhaps not, but human nature being what it is, think folks will get more than anxtious to get back to some semblence of normal. And it's not beyond the realm of possibility that folks who are "jonesin'" for an airshow of any kind might be inclined to make their way to Reno.

Lot's of unknowns of course, but I am still in the "Damn the Torpedo's, Full Speed Ahead!" mode.
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

Along the lines of racing this year, these could be helpful.

100% Cotton - Made in USA - Washable/Reusable
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Air Boss; 05-10-2020, 12:45 PM.
                    Owen Ashurst

Comment

I'd buy it. It would have to have a straw hole for beer sippers.
                      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                        I'd buy it. It would have to have a straw hole for beer sippers.
                        Sure that can be arranged! Be well, LB!
                        Owen Ashurst

Comment

Perhaps it would be best if they did cancel the races this year. Suppose they do have the races, and social distancing is still in effect. Seems to me this would have a significant impact on people not wanting to take a chance on attending the races. Fewer people equal fewer dollars for RARA. My point is, it could have a very negative impact financially on RARA. Personally like everyone I wish the situation was normal and the races could go full steam ahead. I don't think we're going to see any events that have large gathering of people till sometime next year. Time will tell.
                          Last edited by supercub; 05-11-2020, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                            Perhaps it would be best if they did cancel the races this year. Suppose they do have the races, and social distancing is still in effect. Seems to me this would have a significant impact on people not wanting to take a chance on attending the races. Fewer people equal fewer dollars for RARA. My point is, it could have a very negative impact financially on RARA. Personally like everyone I wish the situation was normal and the races could go full steam ahead. I don't think we're going to see any events that have large gathering off people till sometime next year. Time will tell.
                            That has been and remains a central part of the equation in determing whether or not to hold the event. Reno was close to being in the black..finally...however overhead (e.g. insurance) continues to be the 500lb gorilla. Reno will be atching closely the advanced ticket sales, registrations, committments from vendor and concessionaires, volunteers, etc. Think it reasonable to assume late June will be close the time when RARA must give it a "Go" or "No-Go."

I have no affirmative info on this but one does wonder if the same concept that drove RARA to hold the event in 2012 is part of this situation. Meaning, if we don't hold the event 2020, we may neve hold it again. I think we're in a different place on this and given the impact of 9/11 and 2011, we did come back to race the following year...and every year thereafter.
                            Owen Ashurst

Comment

Gathering of Avengers moved to Terre Haute, Indiana in late July. Some good news they plan on going forward this year
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Hot August Nights are still hoping.

Comment

Working...
                                X