Reno Air Races 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno Air Races 2020

I don’t think it’s possible to have the Reno Air Races this year with all the restrictions that are in place.

First take the total spectator area and divide by the six foot spacing area gives you a total amount of people that can be on the site to watch the races. Not to mention how they will in force the six foot rule. My guess would be less than half amount of the people would be let inside the gate.

Second would be the mask rule, it would nearly impossible to have the mask on all day while you are out baking in the sun. And once again the enforcement issue would be hard to do.

The VIP and other specialty tents would greatly be effected by the six foot rule. They couldn’t afford to operate with half or more people not being able to get in because of the six foot rule. How would you be able to eat or drink with a mask on.

These were also some of the problems facing EAA Air Venture which ultimately caused them to cancel for the year. I don’t mean to be negative but at this point and under these rules I can’t see it happening.

How can you work on an airplane and maintain the six foot rule. Only let one person work on at a time.

What about all the on site camping spots, if the need to be spaced at least six foot a part this will also cut down on the number of spots that will be available.

Re: Reno Air Races 2020

I think the idea is that in 4 months the rules won’t be as tight.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I think it's just a matter of time, before we hear an official announcement concerning the cancellation of the races. I don't think we're going to see any events that involve a large gathering of spectators to be held in 2020. Hopefully by the end of the year or slightly their after they'll have a vaccine.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
        I think it's just a matter of time, before we hear an official announcement concerning the cancellation of the races. I don't think we're going to see any events that involve a large gathering of spectators to be held in 2020. Hopefully by the end of the year or slightly their after they'll have a vaccine.
        Exactly, nothing will happen until a vaccine is here. Then add-on 3-4 months before everyone gets the shot.

The general population has done a fantastic job working together to help fight this Chinese virus. Unfortunately we still have lots of ignorant people that could care less. And with that said, I would not put my family/grandkids at risk.

Lets just stay involved and positive for 2021.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 05-07-2020, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Couple examples of the morons we live with

Officials in Washington state on Wednesday expressed concern over reports of people organizing 'COVID-19 parties' to intentionally spread the virus.

A South Carolina woman wanted for licking her hands and touching items at a local sandwich shop, was arrested Saturday after she was caught doing the same thing inside a grocery store, police said.

A Kentucky woman was caught on video shopping with a hole cut in the middle of her protective mask which she claimed made it “easier to breathe.” In the video, Joe Samaan, a gas station…

Comment

I don't know if I see scenario where a vaccine is produced before restrictions are lifted, the reality is that a lot of people are seriously suffering due to a sudden loss of income and they need to get back to work sooner rather than later. There is also quite a bit involved in producing and testing a new vaccine ... especially if your trying to address a virus that has the potential to mutate and form various strands.

I do hope that Reno 2020 happens, In fact I really hope it happens!! But I wouldn't put money on it ...

I don't think the issue will be restrictions from states or governments, but financial realities. I don't know if I can see a scenario where by September there are enough people ready and comfortable to travel, hang out shoulder to shoulder with others, and able or willing to pay the cost of travel, hotel, tickets, etc to make Reno a financial reality. I imagine that some time in late July/early August, RARA will be evaluating their pre-sales on tickets (and whatever other metrics they have) in comparison to past years and they will have to conclude that it just doesn't make economic sense to host the air races due to the potential of extremely low attendance ... I hope of wrong!
            Chris

Comment

World is full of folks who are a taco short of a combo plate, no question. But, we cannot allow those miscreants to dictate how the rest of us manage our lives and livelihoods. We kick them to the curb and get on with life.

I think Reno has a decent chance to come off on time. As the phases are implimented I believe things will accelerate as we move along. As for masks and distancing, the plan is that by the time we get to the end of all this crap, masks and distancing will be at your discretion using common sense and knowledge of your family experience, not mandated by government.

But, as Dennis Miller is fond of saying, "That's just my opinion...I could be wrong."
              Owen Ashurst
              Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
              http://airbossone.com/

Comment

If so, it will be up to us!

If we don't have them and even if we do, I suspect the bottom line is going to suffer greatly and us die hard fans might have to play a role in ensuring there is a RENO 2021!

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Reading this thread to my wife and deciding what we will be doing in September she makes the statement that "we are going anyway." We are going anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                    A vaccine by the end of the year is a pipe dream. Not gonna happen. Never Been Done That Fast. The flu vaccine that they do every year? Not a big change from last year's vaccine for a very similar virus. This virus is new and there is no innate immunity to it.

Mid next year for a vaccine would be unprecedented speed. Maybe, just maybe we have a significant fraction immunized next fall (2021) by race week. Thi s****s gonna be with us for a while. There is a huge worldwide effort to create a vaccine. And governments worldwide are slinging buckets of money at it. 50+ pharma companies are working on it. Effort and money help but It's still going to take time.

I'm a longtime air race fan. I'm there every year for the last few decades except for the cancellations caused by 9/11 and 177. I want it to happen, but have little hope for it happening this year.

Cheers,
                    Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      A vaccine by the end of the year is a pipe dream. Not gonna happen. Never Been Done That Fast. The flu vaccine that they do every year? Not a big change from last year's vaccine for a very similar virus. This virus is new and there is no innate immunity to it.

Mid next year for a vaccine would be unprecedented speed. Maybe, just maybe we have a significant fraction immunized next fall (2021) by race week. Thi s****s gonna be with us for a while. There is a huge worldwide effort to create a vaccine. And governments worldwide are slinging buckets of money at it. 50+ pharma companies are working on it. Effort and money help but It's still going to take time.

I'm a longtime air race fan. I'm there every year for the last few decades except for the cancellations caused by 9/11 and 177. I want it to happen, but have little hope for it happening this year.

Cheers,
                      Pete
                      Full Disclosure: I am NOT a Dr., a Virologist, or in any way an SME on this Wuhan crap. Just a guy who pays attention and follows the course of events from a variety of sources (NOTE: if you only get your news from CNN, MSNBC or FoxNews, you are NOT well informed). Just sayin...

Given recent developments, it's entirely possible to have a vaccine before the end of the year. Very hopeful signs: https://www.popsci.com/story/health/...ord-september/

As Pete indicates, others are working as diligently as Oxford. And there is always the herd immunity aspect as well, coupled with therapeutics. Will this be around for some time...absolutely. So has influenza...and we didn't shut it down when we didn't have a vaccine and we still don't. And it kills +/- 35K US citizens per year.
                      Owen Ashurst

Comment

September is still a ways off. We are going to know more over the coming months. As the Doctors and researchers get a better handle on the virus, there is still a good chance things will be much improved when September rolls around. I would also say that with all the air shows that have canceled earlier this summer, there is a chance Reno could be the biggest its been in awhile!
                        Random Air Blog

Comment

Side note, but the NFL plans to restart in mid-September as well. What that means is TBD, but they want to go forward.
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                            Side note, but the NFL plans to restart in mid-September as well. What that means is TBD, but they want to go forward.
                            Indeed they do. I don't have anything to base this on but it's entirely possible they could startup in a NASCAR fashion. No attendance...TV only. NFL revenue from broadcast rights is like printing money in your basement. Gate is about 50% of the $255M each team receives from NFL for the broadcast rights. They'll be fine...regardless.
                            Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                              Reading this thread to my wife and deciding what we will be doing in September she makes the statement that "we are going anyway." We are going anyway!
                              Well now that is one damn fine idea if you ask me!

I'm remembering when we were shut down during 9 11 we were already there but could not really leave so it became the great RENO show and shine!

I'm pretty sure the RENO area will be open pretty much by then, so if they don't have them, we attempt to have some sort of flying benefit for the event???

Would sure generate a lot of donation $$

Keep up the good ideas!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X