Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reno Air Races 2020

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
    So much of whether or not Reno (or ANY aviation event for that matter) can go off as planned, or in some other form, is going to be dictated by local, regional, and state officials. And those officials are challenged with trying to manage a situation (Wuhan and how a communicty reacts to each "Phase" of reopening) whose dynamics are both known and unknown.

One major show I lost a couple weeks ago cancelled and essentially it was this: We know what we know. And we know what we don't know. It's what we don't know we don't know that keeps us up at night. Local and regional governments are continually changing the rules and in so many cases, it does not seem to be based on science. For example, some beaches here were opened to water activities (surfing, swimming, etc), BUT: you couldn't park in the parking lot, warned about walk in the wet sand...only the dry sand; you could not stop walking and sit down in the sand, no game-playing (volleyball, etc). Yet, same group of folks go the Park (not a beach), you can park you car, sit in the grass, play volleyball, etc. I've sent three differnent emails to county supervisors asking on what basis they've made these decisions and under what authority are they closing these public spaces. What I got back was a page of political pablum. How in the world does a major outdoor event plan in a world where such non-sense is running amok. I found the attached interesting. Remind me again why we shut down the worlds largest and strongest economy over two month ago, and in many places it remains so?

I don't envy anyone or any board that's trying to weigh their options in this envirionment. So many factors at play...and many of them are not under anyones control or ability to predict with any certainty.
    Well said Boss. That’s precisely it. It’s what we don’t know that is driving the decisions. A wrong decision during a pandemic that goes badly can bring a mushroom cloud. Grand, your heart is the right place, but you have to remember that logic doesn’t always prevail (Sorry Spock). If RARA was one of the very few hold outs to host the event and there was even the smallest flare up, you can damn well be sure that people would be looking to place blame. It may not even be attendees. Media, government, anyone can point fingers (and will) and anything could generate negative publicity or headwinds that could be impossible to overcome in the future. Hell, nothing bad could happen at the races and you will still have some government officials or scientists saying that hosting the event is reckless. Will it happen? I have no clue and I certainly hope not. But like Owen said, the fear of what we don’t know IS what is driving these decisions right now.

I think all of us agree that we want to see races this year. What RARA has to decide is if holding it this year could cost them the future.
    Last edited by PowerByPackard; 05-30-2020, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Having witnessed firsthand the behind the scenes effort it takes for RARA to amass the army of volunteers and vendors required to safely and legally hold our race week spectacular, I doubt they can pull it off. A large majority being prime candidates in the extreme of the mortality rate curve, combined with the logistics of even trying to plan a vacation and time off from work this summer to attend or volunteer....I agree with Owen, "It's what we don't know" about the future that is the largest threat to a 2020 NCAR.

Add in the other entertainment / sports programs / Schools, Universities / concerts, all have an uncertain future through the summer and into the fall.

Finally the folly of uncertainty fed by the fickle political process that has cities, Parishes, Counties, States and the Feds making all manner of, rules, policies, mandates, suggestions, laws, and executive orders mostly based on emotional issues rather than hard science....sigh. So difficult to imagine Aircraft owners, sponsors, vendors etc...all moving forward with the massive effort it takes to be ready on time when faced with all this uncertainty over the future.

Many folks will be disappointed the races will be postponed but when added to the master list of events we all lost this year it won’t stand out as a big one. Many will believe it is heroic to hold the races but it can also be heroic to stand down.

Sorry if this is a big downer, but
      '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Hot August Nights announced this morning they are cancelling the event, citing health and safety concerns for everyone.
        It was scheduled for August 9.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
          Hot August Nights announced this morning they are cancelling the event, citing health and safety concerns for everyone.
          It was scheduled for August 9.
          I think the riots played a big hand in their decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
            No doubt with thugs running wild in the streets and no mayor or governor having the cojones to stop them and call out the Nat'l Guard, event organizers are running scared...and no one can blame them.
            Owen Ashurst
            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
              That doesn’t make sense. Riots don’t last for months. Pandemics last for months . The Spanish flu went from spring to summer of the following year. It’s no different than Monterey Car Week- all of that is done except the race track , and it remains to be seen how and if they pull that off. Same as Reno , a lot that go and participate are in the high risk group.

Comment

The "100 Days Until Reno" social media posts were a positive note.

One of the things in question is how racer attendance will be affected. I pondered it a little, and realistically, I don't see it playing an important role in preparation. The only oddity could be the commitment from team members to be able to take off work, etc., with planning a few months out rather than 6 months to a year in advance.

Unlimited: The Sanders are always ready, Sawbones team is ready, Miss America is up in the air, but they didn't start the 2019 mod season until sometime after the Tinker Airshow (which was June 4th last year). Only difference is the thrashed race engine, but even that had to be rebuilt from 2018 to 2019. I would imagine Shanholtzer is at the ready with their longstanding relationship, if they decide to pursue a Gold win again. That being said, the rest of the class could be thinned out. I don't think Bunny and Pretty Polly will be coming, and Vicky's plans for 64 may have changed. Hopefully there are some surprises to even it out.

Sport: I imagine all of the Gold racers from last year will be in attendance. I don't see why not?

Jet: Similar story here, and the long awaited return of Viper.

F1/Biplane/T-6: These could all take a hit, but again, I imagine most if not all of last year's Gold contenders will be present.

More or less, I think some of the more casual/stock planes would take the year off. The Gold contenders have once a year to race and I doubt they would take the year off if RARA confirms we're ready to go for September.
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Good stuff, All.

One thing to keep in mind is that depending on a variety of factors both in RARA's control and outside of its control, this years event could look quite different from last year or frankly, almost any year (save 2001 and 2011 of course). I say that because several of my other shows that ended up cancelling were entertaining a wide array of changes to their operation in the hopes they could at least hold an event of some sort. Keep the lights on, fires burning, interest front and center.

So, let's keep hope alive. I know RARA is jumping through every hoop imaginable to stay afloat for 2020. Nothing is off the table...and thankful there even is a table!
                  Owen Ashurst
                  Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                  http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X