Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monterey Motor Week Cancelled: RENO 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Monterey Motor Week Cancelled: RENO 2020?

Originally posted by John H View Post
    I go to several car week events and Reno too. There’s no way the Historics/Reunion can happen , they keep thinking they are.
    I highly doubt Reno can. Standing and walking around in 80 degree plus temps w a mask or bandanna on would be very uncomfortable. I’m out .
    I hope all this ends soon , see you in 2021.
    Sorry to hear that, John. Strange days, indeed. Wish you well...stay healthy!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
      Sorry to hear that, John. Strange days, indeed. Wish you well...stay healthy!
      Boss, this is exactly what sparks my fears of a "what if we build it and they do not come" scenario!

No question, RENO 2020 is going to place a hardship on the event's financial position!

With that, I'll post this link here and in a separate thread..

DONATE TO THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP AIR RACES
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
        Boss, this is exactly what sparks my fears of a "what if we build it and they do not come" scenario!

No question, RENO 2020 is going to place a hardship on the event's financial position!

With that, I'll post this link here and in a separate thread..

Agreed. No doubt this has been factored into their calculus. Lower attendance, lower registrations, fewer vendors (i.e. lower revenue from them), etc. There is not model for this type of thing. I mean, just look at what the supposed SME's out there were modeling for Wuhan infection and fatality rates. Really haven't gotten one in the ballpark yet.

It's a tough call. Hold the event with the expectation that you'll lose $$$, or not hold the event, keep the red ink on the books, and push toward 2021...hopefully.

There are other steps RARA can and will take to mitigate the potential for financial losses in 2020. Fingers crossed...
        Owen Ashurst

Comment

"A Tradition" is what I just read in one of the donor messages.

Made me think, this is really more of just an annual event, the Reno National Championship Air Races are a NATIONAL TRADITION! One that has continued, on and off, for many many decades!

I know the man at the top of RARA who is a business genius, who, by the way, works for free, and all of the other volunteer board members at RARA are deeply pondering these issues and I'm pretty confident, they will come up with the best overall solution..

Say your prayers and click the donation tab at RARA site!

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
            "A Tradition" is what I just read in one of the donor messages.

Made me think, this is really more of just an annual event, the Reno National Championship Air Races are a NATIONAL TRADITION! One that has continued, on and off, for many many decades!

I know the man at the top of RARA who is a business genius, who, by the way, works for free, and all of the other volunteer board members at RARA are deeply pondering these issues and I'm pretty confident, they will come up with the best overall solution..

Say your prayers and click the donation tab at RARA site!

Very true, Wayne. And yes, from the CEO on down, the Board is made up of smart people in the right place to make the best decisions possible under the circumstances. No doubt about it.

If there's any conceivable way to hold the event without needlessly jeopardizing it's future, they'll figure it out and we'll be racing. It will be different...no question. But I'll take different over deleted...
            Owen Ashurst

Comment

"Full Noise" and the NZ crew announced their US tour cancellation this morning.

Minden/Tahoe airshow cancelled today, too.
              Last edited by Lon Moer; 05-06-2020, 11:31 AM.
              remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Reno Rodeo Cancelled ...

Comment

Here's my attempt to generate more interest. I've grabbed a bunch of different videos from the internet that covering the 2018 Sport gold race. My thought is that NASCAR looks way faster than most planes at Reno because of better cinematography. By splicing all the amateur and professional video available for a given race, you get a closer, faster, louder, and more cinematic experience. I would have done this for the rest of the race, but there wasn't any footage better than what NBC produced so I only did lap 1.

I'm no video editor, but I think this would be a great activity for air racing fans to collaborate on during the annual offseasons. And if the races are cancelled we can use the time to catch on all the previous years like 2014's UNL 3A and 2017's UNL gold.
                  "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                    Here's my attempt to generate more interest. I've grabbed a bunch of different videos from the internet that covering the 2018 Sport gold race. My thought is that NASCAR looks way faster than most planes at Reno because of better cinematography. By splicing all the amateur and professional video available for a given race, you get a closer, faster, louder, and more cinematic experience. I would have done this for the rest of the race, but there wasn't any footage better than what NBC produced so I only did lap 1.

I'm no video editor, but I think this would be a great activity for air racing fans to collaborate on during the annual offseasons. And if the races are cancelled we can use the time to catch on all the previous years like 2014's UNL 3A and 2017's UNL gold.
                    Well done, my friend! The air to air stuff is priceless. But then watch the desert floor fly past the glass at 400mph is not too shabby either! And I agree...I sincerely hope we get to see live racing action this year, but if not...a worthwhile effort to keep the juices flowing.

Thanks for pulling this together...
                    Owen Ashurst

Comment

Working...
                    X