Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monterey Motor Week Cancelled: RENO 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Monterey Motor Week Cancelled: RENO 2020?

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
    We're racing later this year due to the calendar/leap year. Hoepfully it won't make a big difference but I'd be curious to know what weather-related issues Reno had in 2016, 2012, 2008, 2004, etc. Maybe a homework assignment?!

BTW, San Diego county has extended stay at home order indefinitely. And Gov will close all beaches effective tomorrow after both San Diego and Orange county opened them with restrictions a couple days ago. Remind me again about constitutional authority...
    Weather should be fine. I know 2016 and 2012 we're pretty much clear the whole weekend. It's hard to predict because from recent memory there was rain and lightning in 2017 during quals, and I remember rain during the weekend in 2013.

Just learned about our extended stay at home in SD. I think closing the beaches again is great. Too many idiots all running to the beach at once is sure not going to help anything. We tried it and the public failed so here we are. I would prefer seeing restaurants and entertainment venues reopen with masks and social distancing enforced.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      Weather should be fine. I know 2016 and 2012 we're pretty much clear the whole weekend. It's hard to predict because from recent memory there was rain and lightning in 2017 during quals, and I remember rain during the weekend in 2013.

Just learned about our extended stay at home in SD. I think closing the beaches again is great. Too many idiots all running to the beach at once is sure not going to help anything. We tried it and the public failed so here we are. I would prefer seeing restaurants and entertainment venues reopen with masks and social distancing enforced.
      One thing I suspect will be at play...it's likely to be a bit colder in the AM this year if skies are clear! I seem to recall leaving on the 15th or 16th last year and it was pretty chilly and snow on Peavine. Could be fun!

Gov should leave the opening of outdoor areas up to the counties (with some restrictions) just as the fed's have done with the governors. This is very much a local thing. Beaches here in SD were open and it went very well. If the chuckle-heads in HB or OC can't seem to at least give the apperance of minding their business, close those beaches. Don't punish the entire state. And given the information re: how the virus suffers under UV and the numbers regarding the spread in outdoor areas vs. indoor areas, I'd argue beaches and parks are the better options. But that's just me. To your point, the economy would likely do better with restaurants, bars and venues opening. More $$$ and employment there than at the beach.

All I know is...we must start taking some risks in this regard. Some proposals I've seen from elected officials is to wait until there's a vaccine before permitting mass gatherings. That is a death sentence for the economy and will come as a shock to the NFL, MLB, theme parks, churches, zoos, etc.

Uncharted territory here for sure. Time will tell...
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Two people I know have had it/have it. Whatever the restrictions they put on us, My wife and I are staying put for safety. I am diabetic, asthma and other background issues so not chancing getting it. Even if not fatal (which in my case is a possibility, but so is the standard flu) from what those I know have said it is not a fun one to get. My office is closed, we are all working at home and it is working fine so I am staying here as long as they let me! Even once restrictions are lifted we are going to very careful for quite some time, not paranoia-world-is-ending-careful but careful nonetheless.
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
          Two people I know have had it/have it. Whatever the restrictions they put on us, My wife and I are staying put for safety. I am diabetic, asthma and other background issues so not chancing getting it. Even if not fatal (which in my case is a possibility, but so is the standard flu) from what those I know have said it is not a fun one to get. My office is closed, we are all working at home and it is working fine so I am staying here as long as they let me! Even once restrictions are lifted we are going to very careful for quite some time, not paranoia-world-is-ending-careful but careful nonetheless.
          Totally agree with you, Leo. And I guess that's what I'm saying but not as artfully as you did.

Doubt there's anyone on the planet that isn't aware of this pandemic. Certainly not in the US. We are at the point (some say past it) that we should rely on the individual to exercise common sense and take precautions based on their own personal experience and health situation.

For example, an otherwise healthy group of folks in a manufacturing plant who maintain distancing, wear masks, and do those other things that are common sense under the current situation should be allowed to go back to work. I worked from home for 8 years...very fortunate. But millions are not so fortunate. It's hard to make widgets at home!

Reports here in SD that now that the unemployment checks and federal checks are coming thru, restaurants are saying when they call their employees to come back to work, they're declining. They're making more $$$ staying home. No doubt those are likely one-off scenarios and at some point those checks will stop coming. They'll find out soon enough there's no free lunch.

You two take good care, Leo! Stay safe...stay strong...and hopefully we can all enjoy some racing action in September!
          Owen Ashurst

Comment

Oshkosh announced today.

"05-01-2020-We-Dont-Gamble-We-Need-A-Sure-Thing
            remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
              I was really hoping Oshkosh would be able to find a way to hold the event. Super bummed. I only have 2 more chances this year for aviation shows. Come on Reno, stay strong and do it!

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
                I was really hoping Oshkosh would be able to find a way to hold the event. Super bummed. I only have 2 more chances this year for aviation shows. Come on Reno, stay strong and do it!

Absolutely, RIGHT ON!

But, if RENO sadly does not happen, see my other post...

It will take a dedicated effort by this sport and that means US.. ALL of us, racers, crews, fans.. ALL OF US to do what ever it takes to keep the Reno National Championship Air Races alive and well!

This site needs piddly$hit amount of donations to keep going compared to what they will need.. (thanks for all your help!)
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That sounds great and all, but I don't know how anyone is going to do that. There has been a need for this kind of engagement for years and that was when the races weren't in jeopardy because of a virus. The only significant engagement I've had is when we did the hoodie fundraiser in 2018.

All my other attempts (lego models, web cartoon/comic, Reno Races board game, 3D kits for modelers, design your own Unlimited contest) have all met with poor-to-zero reception. Looking to other things people have tried, there are some RC models or Reno Racers, but I don't get the impression those are selling very well. The documentary Chasing Reno Gold is filled with great stories and background information and yet the reviews are bad because "there's too much talking".

So, what do people want?
                  The only thing I can think left to try is a video game tournament or a paintscheme contest. Because in all seriousness if someone can figure this question out, they have likely also figured out how to get the races to finally turn a consistent profit.
                  Last edited by CubersWrist; 05-04-2020, 09:11 AM.
                  "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Well NASCAR did @ home racing & going for the real thing May 17th less spectators. Last resort RARA could try at home racing but I doubt that real racing without spectators would go over plus it would have to be Pay for View.
                    Lockheed Bob

Comment

NASCAR has more money than they can jump over...and so do the race teams and many of their drivers. To your point, don't think enough folks would tune in, whether or not it was PPV or free.

It's hard to put your finger on one single thing that is keeping Reno from "taking off" (sorry, couldn't resist). But I can tell one major factor is insurance. It's a budget buster and without doing the math, if there truly is one thing keeping RARA in the red, it's that.

Reno never has been a motorsport on the scale of auto-racing and likely never will. The market is too limited and the demographics too small and frankly...growing older.

I've mentioned this before; 99% of those who may attend an auto race are either drivers themselves or soon will be. What percentage of the population are pilots? Less than 0.2%...virtually the inverse of the automobile driver number. Not saying if you’re not a pilot you’re not a Reno fan. But, the deep-rooted understanding of what it takes to push an automobile around a track is far greater (and easier to relate to) than understanding what it takes to push an airplane around the pylons.
                      Not only that but motorsports in general are suffering. Did anyone watch NASCAR before Wuhan? There’s a reason you don’t see the panoramic images from the Goodyear Blimp. A TON of “fans” dressed up like empty seats! IndyCar…same thing except for the Indy500.

I may be all wet on this but from my seat, Reno is VERY fortunate to have the fan-base that it has. And I don’t mean lucky…I mean fortunate. Die-hards that will show up regardless. God Bless everyone one of you! The issue now is what does Reno look like in 3 years…5 years…10 years. And what will be the demographics for the fan base in those years?

It’s no secret that the UNL class is not what it once was and with all due respect to all the classes, the UNL class was the headliner and other than the occasional military jet team demo, it’s what put butts in the seats. So, what happens if the UNL class continues on this trend toward a demonstration and Reno cannot secure a jet team on an annual basis? How does Reno build up the UNL class? As Thomas (CubersWrist) opined in another thread, perhaps we build it from the bottom up by lower speed requirements so we can introduce other aircraft types and hope those new folks end up (my words) “Burning with the Fire of the Newly Baptized!”

I extend the greatest admiration to the current executive team at RARA. They have expended untold numbers of hours, blood, sweat, and tears in this event and have charted a course that in every respect, SAVED this event. Period. They deserve an amount of gratitude that cannot be measured, and we all owe each of them a huge “THANK YOU!”
                      What happens next, regardless of the outcome, will NOT be due to the fact the RARA failed to pull out all the stops to keep this thing flying. I, for one, am proud to play a small part in the future and I know each and every one of us won’t fail in that regard.

Keep ‘Em Flying!
                      Owen Ashurst

Comment

I go to several car week events and Reno too. There’s no way the Historics/Reunion can happen , they keep thinking they are.
                        I highly doubt Reno can. Standing and walking around in 80 degree plus temps w a mask or bandanna on would be very uncomfortable. I’m out .
                        I hope all this ends soon , see you in 2021.

Comment

I am rarely comfortable out there, too focused on the moment to take care of my comfort! We always joke after the week is over how much weight I have lost and how dark my "Air Race Tan" is. Each year I say "never again". That lasts about a week then I am more than willing to do it again. That's just me though and a mask won't make it worse or better.
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                            I am rarely comfortable out there, too focused on the moment to take care of my comfort! We always joke after the week is over how much weight I have lost and how dark my "Air Race Tan" is. Each year I say "never again". That lasts about a week then I am more than willing to do it again. That's just me though and a mask won't make it worse or better.
                            Ah yes...the Air Race Tan. Can't wait to see everyone walking around with 2020 version...the Wuhan Tan.

Completely agree, Leo. Must admit there have been days when flying or driving back home I'm thinking to myself, man that was fun, but...

And yet...by early October I'm counting down to PRS. Like most all of us, it's in the blood and there is only one cure.
                            Attached Files
                            Owen Ashurst

Comment

That's what we will look like!
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

That's not what I will look like.

Comment

Working...
                                X