Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monterey Motor Week Cancelled: RENO 2020?

Default Re: Monterey Motor Week Cancelled: RENO 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Don't know if the board software has a SNAFU, or I'm just an idiot..

My "split thread" option does not appear in my admin options, so, since only the first couple messages were about the original title, I did the next best thing and re-titled the thread..
    This thread is following its purpose.
    The Monterey Motor Week is a renowned international event.
    Between the cars shows, car club gatherings and the several car auctions, there are multiple billions of dollars involved.
    Even though the announcements are a little early, a large amount has already spent in everyone's preparations.

Seams pretty ominous.
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Even though it is later in the year than they are, I figure if the rib cookoff and Hot August Nights go away the Air Races don't stand a chance. I'm still preparing things as they are happening, just a few graphics changes from "20" to "21" if needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Even though it is later in the year than they are, I figure if the rib cookoff and Hot August Nights go away the Air Races don't stand a chance. I'm still preparing things as they are happening, just a few graphics changes from "20" to "21" if needed!
    At this point, to do otherwise would be foolish. I just this AM completed and submitted all the required FAA documents to receive the Waiver for all the Performers...came in right at 50 pages. Fingers are sore so forgive any spelling errors here!

I remain optimistic. Keep putting good vibes out to the universe and we'll be racing in September.
    Last edited by Air Boss; 04-29-2020 at 01:44 PM.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

Hopefully the reports that UV from sunlight kills the virus will be further substantiated. I'm already sold based on my own research into natural vs pharmaceutical healthcare, but what Reno really needs is a widespread agreement on these findings. Because Reno is outside, lots of sun (to the point of too much) and fresh air. And maybe with all of these other events getting cancelled it would be possible to get new people to attend that normally would have used their vacation days earlier in the year?
    "young" Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    Hopefully the reports that UV from sunlight kills the virus will be further substantiated. I'm already sold based on my own research into natural vs pharmaceutical healthcare, but what Reno really needs is a widespread agreement on these findings. Because Reno is outside, lots of sun (to the point of too much) and fresh air. And maybe with all of these other events getting cancelled it would be possible to get new people to attend that normally would have used their vacation days earlier in the year?
    Seems like there's good news on the vaccine front and on theraputics as well. Reports indicate UV is a death sentence for Wuhan, potentially proving once again the old political attage, "Sunlight is the best disinfectant." Now, if we could just get politicians to follow that advice...but I digress.

We're racing later this year due to the calendar/leap year. Hoepfully it won't make a big difference but I'd be curious to know what weather-related issues Reno had in 2016, 2012, 2008, 2004, etc. Maybe a homework assignment?!

BTW, San Diego county has extended stay at home order indefinitely. And Gov will close all beaches effective tomorrow after both San Diego and Orange county opened them with restrictions a couple days ago. Remind me again about constitutional authority...
    Owen Ashurst
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA

Quote Originally Posted by Air Boss View Post
    We're racing later this year due to the calendar/leap year. Hoepfully it won't make a big difference but I'd be curious to know what weather-related issues Reno had in 2016, 2012, 2008, 2004, etc. Maybe a homework assignment?!

BTW, San Diego county has extended stay at home order indefinitely. And Gov will close all beaches effective tomorrow after both San Diego and Orange county opened them with restrictions a couple days ago. Remind me again about constitutional authority...
    Weather should be fine. I know 2016 and 2012 we're pretty much clear the whole weekend. It's hard to predict because from recent memory there was rain and lightning in 2017 during quals, and I remember rain during the weekend in 2013.

Just learned about our extended stay at home in SD. I think closing the beaches again is great. Too many idiots all running to the beach at once is sure not going to help anything. We tried it and the public failed so here we are. I would prefer seeing restaurants and entertainment venues reopen with masks and social distancing enforced.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Weather should be fine. I know 2016 and 2012 we're pretty much clear the whole weekend. It's hard to predict because from recent memory there was rain and lightning in 2017 during quals, and I remember rain during the weekend in 2013.

Just learned about our extended stay at home in SD. I think closing the beaches again is great. Too many idiots all running to the beach at once is sure not going to help anything. We tried it and the public failed so here we are. I would prefer seeing restaurants and entertainment venues reopen with masks and social distancing enforced.
    One thing I suspect will be at play...it's likely to be a bit colder in the AM this year if skies are clear! I seem to recall leaving on the 15th or 16th last year and it was pretty chilly and snow on Peavine. Could be fun!

Gov should leave the opening of outdoor areas up to the counties (with some restrictions) just as the fed's have done with the governors. This is very much a local thing. Beaches here in SD were open and it went very well. If the chuckle-heads in HB or OC can't seem to at least give the apperance of minding their business, close those beaches. Don't punish the entire state. And given the information re: how the virus suffers under UV and the numbers regarding the spread in outdoor areas vs. indoor areas, I'd argue beaches and parks are the better options. But that's just me. To your point, the economy would likely do better with restaurants, bars and venues opening. More $$$ and employment there than at the beach.

All I know is...we must start taking some risks in this regard. Some proposals I've seen from elected officials is to wait until there's a vaccine before permitting mass gatherings. That is a death sentence for the economy and will come as a shock to the NFL, MLB, theme parks, churches, zoos, etc.

Uncharted territory here for sure. Time will tell...
    Owen Ashurst
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA

Two people I know have had it/have it. Whatever the restrictions they put on us, My wife and I are staying put for safety. I am diabetic, asthma and other background issues so not chancing getting it. Even if not fatal (which in my case is a possibility, but so is the standard flu) from what those I know have said it is not a fun one to get. My office is closed, we are all working at home and it is working fine so I am staying here as long as they let me! Even once restrictions are lifted we are going to very careful for quite some time, not paranoia-world-is-ending-careful but careful nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Two people I know have had it/have it. Whatever the restrictions they put on us, My wife and I are staying put for safety. I am diabetic, asthma and other background issues so not chancing getting it. Even if not fatal (which in my case is a possibility, but so is the standard flu) from what those I know have said it is not a fun one to get. My office is closed, we are all working at home and it is working fine so I am staying here as long as they let me! Even once restrictions are lifted we are going to very careful for quite some time, not paranoia-world-is-ending-careful but careful nonetheless.
    Totally agree with you, Leo. And I guess that's what I'm saying but not as artfully as you did.

Doubt there's anyone on the planet that isn't aware of this pandemic. Certainly not in the US. We are at the point (some say past it) that we should rely on the individual to exercise common sense and take precautions based on their own personal experience and health situation.

For example, an otherwise healthy group of folks in a manufacturing plant who maintain distancing, wear masks, and do those other things that are common sense under the current situation should be allowed to go back to work. I worked from home for 8 years...very fortunate. But millions are not so fortunate. It's hard to make widgets at home!

Reports here in SD that now that the unemployment checks and federal checks are coming thru, restaurants are saying when they call their employees to come back to work, they're declining. They're making more $$$ staying home. No doubt those are likely one-off scenarios and at some point those checks will stop coming. They'll find out soon enough there's no free lunch.

You two take good care, Leo! Stay safe...stay strong...and hopefully we can all enjoy some racing action in September!
    Owen Ashurst
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA

remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers