Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monterey Motor Week Cancelled: RENO 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monterey Motor Week Cancelled: RENO 2020?

The Quail, the Concorso Italiano, the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance and the LeMons have all officially cancelled for 2020.
    With Pebble Beach being the anchor show its expected that most of the remaining shows and car auctions will cancel or reschedule.

There is talk The Monterey Motorsport Reunion (the "Historics") may go on, but be closed to the public.

These events were all scheduled for the middle week of August, a month before Reno.
    Last edited by Lon Moer; 05-01-2020, 10:10 AM.
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Re: Monterey Motor Week is cancelled.....

But the historics are still a go.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      But the historics are still a go.

Will
      At first I thought having the air races without spectators may work, but on second thought the area around the course would just get trashed as would all the private property. Enforcement would be a nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
        At first I thought having the air races without spectators may work, but on second thought the area around the course would just get trashed as would all the private property. Enforcement would be a nightmare.

Interesting thought...though I have to say the first thing that crosses my mind on this concept is that in doing so (no spectators), RARA's revenue stream would be virtually destroyed but it's overhead (i.e. insurance, contracts for support services (your's truly, etc.), et al) would remain in place. I'm no Copurnicus but that math doesn't work so well.

And your point about thrashing the "environs" is a good one! No doubt about it. Can you imagine the Valley of Speed fenceline? Burning Man...without the Man!
        Owen Ashurst
        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
          Interesting thought...though I have to say the first thing that crosses my mind on this concept is that in doing so (no spectators), RARA's revenue stream would be virtually destroyed but it's overhead (i.e. insurance, contracts for support services (your's truly, etc.), et al) would remain in place. I'm no Copurnicus but that math doesn't work so well.

And your point about thrashing the "environs" is a good one! No doubt about it. Can you imagine the Valley of Speed fenceline? Burning Man...without the Man!
          Boss, I truly hope we can escape the madness of all of this and get back to normal.. But, I fear, even if RARA forges ahead and sets up the stands, pays all the services... yadda and beyond.

What if you build it and they do not come?

I'm pretty sure that the commission off beer sales alone can seriously affect the bottom line.

Despite my delirious mental misconception that if you keep your blood alcohol content high enough for enough time each day, ****in virus don't got a chance...

I wonder if enough butts-in-seats can be guaranteed at this... wishfully untrue, but really late date!

I am afraid that something like this could cause financial failure.. I know they are soliciting donations.. https://reno-air-racing-association-...ng-association

I probably should split this thread.. any moderators know how to do this?

I'll do it tomorrow if not.

Damn, can't believe I'm almost 70!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post

Boss, I truly hope we can escape the madness of all of this and get back to normal.. But, I fear, even if RARA forges ahead and sets up the stands, pays all the services... yadda and beyond.

What if you build it and they do not come?

I'm pretty sure that the commission off beer sales alone can seriously affect the bottom line.

Despite my delirious mental misconception that if you keep you blood alcohol content high enough for enough time each day, ****in virus don't got a chance...
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Monterey Motor Week Cancelled: RENO 2020?

Don't know if the board software has a SNAFU, or I'm just an idiot..

My "split thread" option does not appear in my admin options, so, since only the first couple messages were about the original title, I did the next best thing and re-titled the thread..
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Some things are starting to reopen, but with masks being mandatory. I would be all for having a Reno with masks enforced. I know there has been a lot of talk about masks not really helping, but a lot of news blurbs are recommending using bandana/handkerchief and other "thicker" material that may actually help stop the spread.
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                  Some things are starting to reopen, but with masks being mandatory. I would be all for having a Reno with masks enforced. I know there has been a lot of talk about masks not really helping, but a lot of news blurbs are recommending using bandana/handkerchief and other "thicker" material that may actually help stop the spread.
                  I'm not privy to the detailed discussions about whether or not it makes financial sense to hold the races, even if we have put Wuhan behind us in large measure. Sure folks smarter than me have crunched the numbers. I'd expect that depending on how things are going with the pandemic, both registrations and attendance may be down, not to mention concessions and vendor participation (though they'll likely be in financial difficulties and judge it worth the risk to earn some much needed revenue themselves).

I think there's also some marketing opportunities here as well. For example, not sure at what cost but I can envision something like RARA providing Fri-Sun guests with bandana's and/or hand sanitizer bearing the Reno logo. It would certainly reflect well on RARA by showing additional concern for guests welfare and reasonable steps to mitigate the spread.

I'm no marketing guru by any stretch, that's for sure. Just a thought...
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

Hot August Nights presser said THEY needed to pull out six weeks before. I would guess this is similar.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                      Don't know if the board software has a SNAFU, or I'm just an idiot..

My "split thread" option does not appear in my admin options, so, since only the first couple messages were about the original title, I did the next best thing and re-titled the thread..
                      This thread is following its purpose.
                      The Monterey Motor Week is a renowned international event.
                      Between the cars shows, car club gatherings and the several car auctions, there are multiple billions of dollars involved.
                      Even though the announcements are a little early, a large amount has already spent in everyone's preparations.

Seams pretty ominous.
                      remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Even though it is later in the year than they are, I figure if the rib cookoff and Hot August Nights go away the Air Races don't stand a chance. I'm still preparing things as they are happening, just a few graphics changes from "20" to "21" if needed!
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                          Even though it is later in the year than they are, I figure if the rib cookoff and Hot August Nights go away the Air Races don't stand a chance. I'm still preparing things as they are happening, just a few graphics changes from "20" to "21" if needed!
                          At this point, to do otherwise would be foolish. I just this AM completed and submitted all the required FAA documents to receive the Waiver for all the Performers...came in right at 50 pages. Fingers are sore so forgive any spelling errors here!

I remain optimistic. Keep putting good vibes out to the universe and we'll be racing in September.
                          Last edited by Air Boss; 04-29-2020, 01:44 PM.
                          Owen Ashurst

Comment

Hopefully the reports that UV from sunlight kills the virus will be further substantiated. I'm already sold based on my own research into natural vs pharmaceutical healthcare, but what Reno really needs is a widespread agreement on these findings. Because Reno is outside, lots of sun (to the point of too much) and fresh air. And maybe with all of these other events getting cancelled it would be possible to get new people to attend that normally would have used their vacation days earlier in the year?
                            "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                              Hopefully the reports that UV from sunlight kills the virus will be further substantiated. I'm already sold based on my own research into natural vs pharmaceutical healthcare, but what Reno really needs is a widespread agreement on these findings. Because Reno is outside, lots of sun (to the point of too much) and fresh air. And maybe with all of these other events getting cancelled it would be possible to get new people to attend that normally would have used their vacation days earlier in the year?
                              Seems like there's good news on the vaccine front and on theraputics as well. Reports indicate UV is a death sentence for Wuhan, potentially proving once again the old political attage, "Sunlight is the best disinfectant." Now, if we could just get politicians to follow that advice...but I digress.

We're racing later this year due to the calendar/leap year. Hoepfully it won't make a big difference but I'd be curious to know what weather-related issues Reno had in 2016, 2012, 2008, 2004, etc. Maybe a homework assignment?!

BTW, San Diego county has extended stay at home order indefinitely. And Gov will close all beaches effective tomorrow after both San Diego and Orange county opened them with restrictions a couple days ago. Remind me again about constitutional authority...
                              Owen Ashurst

Comment

Working...
                              X