Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Forward: What can we do wo help ensure the Reno Air Races Sirvive the VIrus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Forward: What can we do wo help ensure the Reno Air Races Sirvive the VIrus?

Now that we've survived the immediate crisis here, keeping 'er afloat.. with much generosity and more than equal energy pursuing all of the assets presented on the site.. The reality of being able to do a pay in advance server fee that we could do once a year, or every three years..

TONS cheaper than my dinosaur rental server here..

I could likely find "shared" (yea... the description is the folly) hosting for pretty much free, but we'd lose the connection to the Heritage Cup, which, again, we've sort of helped them with their web presence since before the inception of the cup...

That and it's a LOT easier to keep out the bad guys when you are behind a datacenter level firewall, as well as a server level bag-o-tricks that you can enable...

I just think it's worth it..

Nobody here has ever had their personal data hijacked.

I very much appreciate the support, I am actively seeking our new home (again, we have to leave this server anyway due to End of Life lack of support for the base operating system...

I think we can probably cut the monthly cost in half, get at least as much as we have now (unlimited date transfer, no breakdowns during high traffic spikes)

I'd love to stay here.. we have a very long history here, from being with RackShack in a caged "colo" cobalt rack server, to being moved via a van in the middle of the night when Robert Marsh "Head Surfer" owned what became the IBM Datacenter of today, and every change of ownership and move to new datacenter in-between..

Pretty secure place with great trouble ticket time (truly, I think we've only had to use it once or twice) I think maybe I should negotiate with current host to see if staying here makes sense...

Whaddya think.. You're making this possible, so feedback encouraged
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Moving Forward: What can we do wo help ensure the Reno Air Races Sirvive the VIru

Left out a lot of stuff via senior moment but..

What Jason is doing with his videos and a lot of us can do as well, push the action out there relentlessly!

IF, we wind up getting to run the races, maybe the pent up energy we can generate will result in butts in seats!

IF, it winds up that... heaven forbid, the races have to be postponed or cancelled outright. The sport of Air Racing will need our support!!!!!!!!!!

Photos, videos, memoirs..

I'll open up something that is easier to contribute.. or, figure out what this software already offers.. I think each of you can have a gallery of photos and videos... ??

Board can do it, if not set up, lemme look into it!

We have to ensure that there are LOTS of butts in seats this September and if, we have to go virtual, we generate enough interest to pay it forward to better times!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Moving Forward: What can we do wo help ensure the Reno Air Races Sirvive the VIru

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
      Left out a lot of stuff via senior moment but..

What Jason is doing with his videos and a lot of us can do as well, push the action out there relentlessly!

IF, we wind up getting to run the races, maybe the pent up energy we can generate will result in butts in seats!

IF, it winds up that... heaven forbid, the races have to be postponed or cancelled outright. The sport of Air Racing will need our support!!!!!!!!!!

Photos, videos, memoirs..

I'll open up something that is easier to contribute.. or, figure out what this software already offers.. I think each of you can have a gallery of photos and videos... ??

Board can do it, if not set up, lemme look into it!

We have to ensure that there are LOTS of butts in seats this September and if, we have to go virtual, we generate enough interest to pay it forward to better times!
      As a Reno supporter through and through til death do us part, I've been loving Jason's videos. The only thing is these are videos of the "good old days" that in turn causes RARA slander for what the class is now from the naysayers.

I've been trying to supplement the old with some of the current news (here, on Facebook, etc.). Dusty has been a big help with that too. Still getting info on Miss America and the return of Thibodeau's planes... and the elusive race Yak. There's info out there to be had, you just gotta search for it!
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
        As a Reno supporter through and through til death do us part, I've been loving Jason's videos. The only thing is these are videos of the "good old days" that in turn causes RARA slander for what the class is now from the naysayers.

I've been trying to supplement the old with some of the current news (here, on Facebook, etc.). Dusty has been a big help with that too. Still getting info on Miss America and the return of Thibodeau's planes... and the elusive race Yak. There's info out there to be had, you just gotta search for it!
        I definitely agree the cool videos of the good old days create an immediate comparison to what we have now, and people immediately become dissatisfied. No real way to "fix" that other than to tell people to be thankful for what was and to be a participant in making what we have better. But that normally starts a fight....

I think there is a lot of talk about wanting to generate talk. So start talking! I've been writing and posting reports on #30 and the silence has been deafening... Dusty and Will post updates on the Yak and still not much talk.
        "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
          I think there is a lot of talk about wanting to generate talk. So start talking! I've been writing and posting reports on #30 and the silence has been deafening... Dusty and Will post updates on the Yak and still not much talk.
          There has definitely been silence on everything I've been trying to bring up. Unless it has to do with Rare Bear, Strega, Voodoo returning, nobody really cares... Even that teaser pic that LAL posted of Bear a few months back generated more talk than anything else I've tried bringing up.
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Agreed. Let's light it up a bit. Here's a few thoughts to ponder:

What impact do you think rescheduling PRS to the four days prior to Race Week will have on folks in general. No public is invited of course, but it's asking a lot of race teams, RARA personnel and many others (especially those who are still working folks) to commit to essentialy two full weeks in the high desert of northern Nevada.

What's your take on having STOL as part of the racing action now?

How would you feel about moving Jet and STOL into the actual pit area and moving the static/commericial demos east to take their place next to Heritage and Military statics?

If you could change two things about how your racing class, RARA or other major player goes about their business, what would it be. Be specific and offer alternatives.

Do you think the balance between racing and airshow is about right? If not, how would you change it?

Which class has reached closest to it's full potential RE: speed: The UNL of the early 2000's or the Sport class of today?

Should Sport Gold abandon the Outer course and race on the Sport course?

Sport pilots: Which pylon is the most difficult to pick up while at speed. Are you looking for the stick itself, or just a landmark (tree, dirt road,etc.) that you know will get you around the stick?
            Last edited by Air Boss; 04-24-2020, 02:07 PM.
            Owen Ashurst
            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post

What impact do you think rescheduling PRS to the four days prior to Race Week will have on folks in general. No public is invited of course, but it's asking a lot of race teams, RARA personnel and many others (especially those who are still working folks) to commit to essentialy two full weeks in the high desert of northern Nevada.

It will cut down the PRS numbers for sure. I see lower entries for all classes in Sept as well. Lots of guys won't have the time or $$$ to show up in this economic climate.

Great addition to the show. Crowd seemed to really enjoy it last year.

How would you feel about moving Jet and STOL into the actual pit area and moving the static/commericial demos east to take their place next to Heritage and Military statics?

If you could change two things about how your racing class, RARA or other major player goes about their business, what would it be. Be specific and offer alternatives.

The jet and STOL class like being in an area that the GA crowd can access without having to buy a pit pass. Would be a very hard sell to both groups. It would stir up even more backlash toward RARA only caring about $$$

Do you think the balance between racing and airshow is about right? If not, how would you change it?

It has been good for a while. With no acro acts making it last year, there would have been way too much down time between races without the STOL guys there.

Which class has reached closest to it's full potential RE: speed: The UNL of the early 2000's or the Sport class of today?

Both. Sport could make another big leap but will need new air frames and engines to do it.

Would be better from a spectator perspective for sure, but the Gold speeds are too high for it to be feasible.

Sport pilots: Which pylon is the most difficult to pick up while at speed. Are you looking for the stick itself, or just a landmark (tree, dirt road,etc.) that you know will get you around the stick?
              Just my .02$

Comment

I'll echo all the above.

In regards to the racing and airshow balance, I think the allotted time is right, but the acts themselves need more variety. This year we are going to have Jim Peitz, Tony Higa, Patty Wagstaff, and Eric Tucker. Eric is the only one that stands out as "variety" since it's a different act that Reno hasn't had, and we haven't had Kent in awhile either.

Sure it's more expensive, but what about Class of '45? Randy Ball? Just something different than the flippy flops...

I still don't see why RARA hasn't tried to convince Class of '45 to perform and race like TFL did (maybe I'm way off, but...?) Tobul already has, I know Scooter isn't 100% for racing, but if his airshow demo is at Reno that could sway things...

.02 cents...
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                  Just my .02$
                  Good $0.02 worth!

Know RARA has done the math and felt it worthy from a financial and operational standpoint. Suspect you're correct re: those who simply cannot attend for $$$ or other reasons.

STOL will be governed under the Race waiver from now on as they are now accredited class. Last year they were under my Performer Waiver, pending accredidation by FAA.

I agree RE: the STOL/Jet pit issue. Besides, if folks have to walk from one end to the other to see all the racers and military, they'll have to walk right thru the vendor/concession area...$$$$.

If the airshow component comes off as planned, we'll be fairly full up again. Only so many minutes in the day. That said, if the classes are down on registrations, that may result in more time during the day.

What would Sport have to do to their aircraft limitations/restrictions to take that next step?

Top of my head I don't recall the delta between top Silver Sport speeds and Gold speeds but suspect it's substantial. Crazy fast now. Tried looking it up on the RARA site but that page is down right now.
                  Last edited by Air Boss; 04-24-2020, 03:20 PM.
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

Good $0.02 worth!

Know RARA has done the math and felt it worthy from a financial and operational standpoint. Suspect you're correct re: those who simply cannot attend for $$$ or other reasons.

STOL will be governed under the Race waiver from now on as they are now accredited class. Last year they were under my Performer Waiver, pending accredidation by FAA.

I agree RE: the STOL/Jet pit issue. Besides, if folks have to walk from one end to the other to see all the racers and military, they'll have to walk right thru the vendor/concession area...$$$$.

If the airshow component comes off as planned, we'll be fairly full up again. Only so many minutes in the day. That said, if the classes are down on registrations, that may result in more time during the day.

What would Sport have to do to their aircraft limitations/restrictions to take that next step?

Top of my head I don't recall the delta between top Silver Sport speeds and Gold speeds but suspect it's substantial. Crazy fast now. Tried looking it up on the RARA site but that page is down right now.
                    100mph delta. Conrad won sport silver last year with a speed of 300.861

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                      I'll echo all the above.

In regards to the racing and airshow balance, I think the allotted time is right, but the acts themselves need more variety. This year we are going to have Jim Peitz, Tony Higa, Patty Wagstaff, and Eric Tucker. Eric is the only one that stands out as "variety" since it's a different act that Reno hasn't had, and we haven't had Kent in awhile either.

Sure it's more expensive, but what about Class of '45? Randy Ball? Just something different than the flippy flops...

I still don't see why RARA hasn't tried to convince Class of '45 to perform and race like TFL did (maybe I'm way off, but...?) Tobul already has, I know Scooter isn't 100% for racing, but if his airshow demo is at Reno that could sway things...

.02 cents...
                      No Patty...at least she's not on the waiver application I just completed and will submit to FSDO next week

Assuming all goes well and we get this Wuhan crap behind us enough, we'll have a few entertaining military acts as well. And yes, it's a fiscal thing. Heavily sponsored civilian acts take precedence, for obvious reasons. I'd love to get Randy or Tobul (worked with Jim at Sun 'n Fun a in '18). Great guys and great acts. That said...Reno is, first and foremost, about racing. So when push comes to shove, RARA will error on the side of having more racing and less airshow.
                      Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                        100mph delta. Conrad won sport silver last year with a speed of 300.861
                        Thanks. Knew it was substantial but didn't realized it was 100mph. Damn...crazier than I thought.
                        Owen Ashurst

Comment

Great post Boss! Maybe we should make it a poll? Just for chits&giggles???
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            Great post Boss! Maybe we should make it a poll? Just for chits&giggles???
                            Aaahhh… Just reread and poll would prolly not work, great fodder for general discussion however!

Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I have another question that fits in with this conversation. What is everyone's opinion on the NBC broadcast shows this year?

Comment

Working...
                              X