Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moving Forward: What can we do wo help ensure the Reno Air Races Sirvive the VIrus?

Default Re: Moving Forward: What can we do wo help ensure the Reno Air Races Sirvive the VIru

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    I'll echo all the above.

In regards to the racing and airshow balance, I think the allotted time is right, but the acts themselves need more variety. This year we are going to have Jim Peitz, Tony Higa, Patty Wagstaff, and Eric Tucker. Eric is the only one that stands out as "variety" since it's a different act that Reno hasn't had, and we haven't had Kent in awhile either.

Sure it's more expensive, but what about Class of '45? Randy Ball? Just something different than the flippy flops...

I still don't see why RARA hasn't tried to convince Class of '45 to perform and race like TFL did (maybe I'm way off, but...?) Tobul already has, I know Scooter isn't 100% for racing, but if his airshow demo is at Reno that could sway things...

.02 cents...
    No Patty...at least she's not on the waiver application I just completed and will submit to FSDO next week

Assuming all goes well and we get this Wuhan crap behind us enough, we'll have a few entertaining military acts as well. And yes, it's a fiscal thing. Heavily sponsored civilian acts take precedence, for obvious reasons. I'd love to get Randy or Tobul (worked with Jim at Sun 'n Fun a in '18). Great guys and great acts. That said...Reno is, first and foremost, about racing. So when push comes to shove, RARA will error on the side of having more racing and less airshow.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

Default Re: Moving Forward: What can we do wo help ensure the Reno Air Races Sirvive the VIru

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    100mph delta. Conrad won sport silver last year with a speed of 300.861
    Thanks. Knew it was substantial but didn't realized it was 100mph. Damn...crazier than I thought.
    Owen Ashurst
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA

Exclamation Re: Moving Forward: What can we do wo help ensure the Reno Air Races Sirvive the VIru

Quote Originally Posted by Air Boss View Post
    Agreed. Let's light it up a bit. Here's a few thoughts to ponder:

What impact do you think rescheduling PRS to the four days prior to Race Week will have on folks in general. No public is invited of course, but it's asking a lot of race teams, RARA personnel and many others (especially those who are still working folks) to commit to essentialy two full weeks in the high desert of northern Nevada.

What's your take on having STOL as part of the racing action now?

How would you feel about moving Jet and STOL into the actual pit area and moving the static/commericial demos east to take their place next to Heritage and Military statics?

If you could change two things about how your racing class, RARA or other major player goes about their business, what would it be. Be specific and offer alternatives.

Do you think the balance between racing and airshow is about right? If not, how would you change it?

Which class has reached closest to it's full potential RE: speed: The UNL of the early 2000's or the Sport class of today?

Should Sport Gold abandon the Outer course and race on the Sport course?

Sport pilots: Which pylon is the most difficult to pick up while at speed. Are you looking for the stick itself, or just a landmark (tree, dirt road,etc.) that you know will get you around the stick?
    Great post Boss! Maybe we should make it a poll? Just for chits&giggles???
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Great post Boss! Maybe we should make it a poll? Just for chits&giggles???
    Aaahhh… Just reread and poll would prolly not work, great fodder for general discussion however!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

I have another question that fits in with this conversation. What is everyone's opinion on the NBC broadcast shows this year?

I have another question that fits in with this conversation. What is everyone's opinion on the NBC broadcast shows this year?
    Afraid to admit it but I've not watched the shows. Been busy pulling together all the FAA docs for my upcoming shows...assuming they aren't cancelled.

Hope to catch up on You Tube.

I understand each episode is shorter? Same announcers?
    Owen Ashurst
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA

Afraid to admit it but I've not watched the shows. Been busy pulling together all the FAA docs for my upcoming shows...assuming they aren't cancelled.

Hope to catch up on You Tube.

I understand each episode is shorter? Same announcers?
    Yeah 5 30 minute shows instead of 3 one hour shows. Same talking heads.

Yeah 5 30 minute shows instead of 3 one hour shows. Same talking heads.
    Saw a brief clip. Production value looks good. Good pub, regardless. Beggars can't be choosers. Thankful that NBC is on board.
    Owen Ashurst
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA

Boy oh Howdy is that a loaded question...

I think that technology wise, they did really very good!

I actually just rethinking of it would give 100% validation simply because they did it!

Kind of refreshing that we are discussing the quality of a national broadcast network of the Stihl Reno National Championship Air Races at all...

Still remembering those nights and early AM sessions in the press shack at Stead, using phone lines to connect to CompuServe, and then via that to the net with photos and stuff..

Dang, I think we might have lost site archives from that earliest era.. I hope not.
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

No Patty...at least she's not on the waiver application I just completed and will submit to FSDO next week

Assuming all goes well and we get this Wuhan crap behind us enough, we'll have a few entertaining military acts as well. And yes, it's a fiscal thing. Heavily sponsored civilian acts take precedence, for obvious reasons. I'd love to get Randy or Tobul (worked with Jim at Sun 'n Fun a in '18). Great guys and great acts. That said...Reno is, first and foremost, about racing. So when push comes to shove, RARA will error on the side of having more racing and less airshow.
    Dang I was actually looking forward to Patty. I'm all for racing and all for military. I think without Patty on the lineup, Peitz, Tony, and Eric is a good mix.

I like watching it, cool footage you don't really get to see at the races.

I'm still not sure who it is appealing to though. It's advertised via RARA's social media, and those who follow them already know about the races. How many people are causally watching NBCS and come across the races and think hey this looks cool maybe I should go..?

It can't hurt and I enjoy it, but could that money be spent better somewhere else?
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19