Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Yes! The Chino Bearcat!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oslo, NORWAY
    Posts
    165

    Default Re: Yes! The Chino Bearcat!

    I'm kind of happy that it is getting back in the air. Would have loved to see it back in the Gulfhawk colors but am quite ok to see the long canopy gone. Elmer being a friend I know why he chose that set- up but I am truly glad to see it gone. If a TF detracs from the lines of a 51, that set- up really destroyed the looks of a Bearcat. At least you will have an F8F running in the limited category. Who knows, maybe the next owner might opt for orange and white...

    T J

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    west valley/silicon valley
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Yes! The Chino Bearcat!

    Quote Originally Posted by T J Johansen View Post
    I'm kind of happy that it is getting back in the air. Would have loved to see it back in the Gulfhawk colors but am quite ok to see the long canopy gone. Elmer being a friend I know why he chose that set- up but I am truly glad to see it gone. If a TF detracs from the lines of a 51, that set- up really destroyed the looks of a Bearcat. At least you will have an F8F running in the limited category. Who knows, maybe the next owner might opt for orange and white...

    T J
    I can agree with the canopy being too long.
    Back in the early 1980's John Herlihy put a back seat in his Bearcat N198F and still used the stock canopy.

    (photos by C.Aro)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10405525_10204368810485260_5239922068065682240_n.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	24616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1378575_10200943395132017_1639919191_n.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	24617  
    remember the Oogahonk!

    old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

  3. #13

    Default Re: Yes! The Chino Bearcat!

    Did they ever determine the cause of the Gulfhawk Bearcat engine failure at Oshkosh?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    KSBP
    Posts
    950

    Default Re: Yes! The Chino Bearcat!

    Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    Did they ever determine the cause of the Gulfhawk Bearcat engine failure at Oshkosh?
    Sounds like the mixture was in the wrong position: https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...20001211X13083

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    SYRACUSE, KANSAS
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Yes! The Chino Bearcat!

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    Sounds like the mixture was in the wrong position: https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...20001211X13083
    I SPENT QUITE A BIT OF TIME WITH ELMER AND HELPED WITH PARTS OVER THE 11 YEAR RESTORATION. BEFORE THE ALZHEIMERS STARTED TO TAKE IT'S TOLL, WE WERE EATING PIE ALAMODE AT HIS HOUSE ONE NIGHT; HE STOPPED EATING, LOOKED STRAIGHT AT ME, AND SAID "I'M PRETTY SURE I PULLED THE MIXTURE BACK INSTEAD OF THE PROP",
    AND WENT ON THE EXPLAIN HE WAS MORE FAMILIAR WITH THE MUSTANG THAN THE BEARCAT AND GOT THE TWO CONTROLS MIXED UP. I SAW THE SPARK PLUGS AND THE CERAMICS WERE PURE, PURE WHITE, SO IT MADE SENSE.
    AFTER THE CRASH, I GAVE HIM SOME MORE PARTS TO REPAIR THE GULFHAWK. HE AND LOIS WERE VERY KIND TO ME
    AND I MISS THEM BOTH......
    DUSTY

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    8,074

    Default Re: Yes! The Chino Bearcat!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I SPENT QUITE A BIT OF TIME WITH ELMER AND HELPED WITH PARTS OVER THE 11 YEAR RESTORATION. BEFORE THE ALZHEIMERS STARTED TO TAKE IT'S TOLL, WE WERE EATING PIE ALAMODE AT HIS HOUSE ONE NIGHT; HE STOPPED EATING, LOOKED STRAIGHT AT ME, AND SAID "I'M PRETTY SURE I PULLED THE MIXTURE BACK INSTEAD OF THE PROP",
    AND WENT ON THE EXPLAIN HE WAS MORE FAMILIAR WITH THE MUSTANG THAN THE BEARCAT AND GOT THE TWO CONTROLS MIXED UP. I SAW THE SPARK PLUGS AND THE CERAMICS WERE PURE, PURE WHITE, SO IT MADE SENSE.
    AFTER THE CRASH, I GAVE HIM SOME MORE PARTS TO REPAIR THE GULFHAWK. HE AND LOIS WERE VERY KIND TO ME
    AND I MISS THEM BOTH......
    DUSTY
    Can't tell you how much it means to the Air Racing Community having you stop by Dusty!

    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

  7. #17

    Default Re: Yes! The Chino Bearcat!

    I was able to see the Gulfhawk that Elmer had at the Tracy warbird show several years ago. What a beautiful airplane it was, and I loved the paint scheme. Started talking to him and he invited my buddy and I behind the rope so we could really get a close up look at her. Was an experience I'll never forget.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,970

    Default Re: Yes! The Chino Bearcat!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I SPENT QUITE A BIT OF TIME WITH ELMER AND HELPED WITH PARTS OVER THE 11 YEAR RESTORATION. BEFORE THE ALZHEIMERS STARTED TO TAKE IT'S TOLL, WE WERE EATING PIE ALAMODE AT HIS HOUSE ONE NIGHT; HE STOPPED EATING, LOOKED STRAIGHT AT ME, AND SAID "I'M PRETTY SURE I PULLED THE MIXTURE BACK INSTEAD OF THE PROP",
    AND WENT ON THE EXPLAIN HE WAS MORE FAMILIAR WITH THE MUSTANG THAN THE BEARCAT AND GOT THE TWO CONTROLS MIXED UP. I SAW THE SPARK PLUGS AND THE CERAMICS WERE PURE, PURE WHITE, SO IT MADE SENSE.
    AFTER THE CRASH, I GAVE HIM SOME MORE PARTS TO REPAIR THE GULFHAWK. HE AND LOIS WERE VERY KIND TO ME
    AND I MISS THEM BOTH......
    DUSTY
    Echoing Wayne's comment, glad to see you back here Dusty. I think we would all appreciate a thread about the work on the Yak and Mustang if you have the chance!
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    SYRACUSE, KANSAS
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Yes! The Chino Bearcat!

    I SENT A COUPLE PICTURES OF THE YAK EXHAUST MODS TO WILL CAMPBELL TO POST AS I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO
    ACCOMPLISH THAT ON MY OWN. THANK GOD I CAN FLY A LITTLE BETTER THAN I AM AN I.T. GUY......
    I COUPLE YEARS AGO, I WAS DOING LATE-NIGHT NACA SEARCHING AND FOUND A STUDY ON A P-41 WITH AN 1830 ENGINE SIMILAR TO MINE. THE ORIGINAL AIRCRAFT HAD A COLLECTOR LIKE I HAD, AND THEY INSTALLED 14 INDIVIDUAL
    "JET STACKS". DON'T REMEMBER THE EXACT NUMBERS CURRENTLY, BUT THEY ACHIEVED 18MPH INCREASE AT 350MPH
    AT 18,000' IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME. SO, SEEING HOW THE DC-3 COLLECTOR STACK WAS IN SORRY CONDITION, IT WAS ON "THE LIST" TO DO. THE OTHER ITEM TO ATTACK IS THE CARB INTAKE TRUNK, WHICH DID MAKE TWO 90 DEGREE BENDS FOLLOWED BY A 120 DEGREE BEND GOING INTO THE CARB. WUFFFF. ANYWAY, SO THAT WILL BE ADDRESSED
    AND HOPEFULLY ANOTHER NOSE SPINNING I WILL MAKE OUT OF GRAPHITE. THE NEW GOAL IS 400 ON THE COURSE. I TOLD OUR FEARLESS LEADER ( AND I MEAN THAT LITERALLY), ONE SHERMAN SMOOT, THAT I INTENDED TO COME BACK AND DO 400 AND HE SAID "NO WAY". WELL, YOU CAN'T TELL AN OLD IRISH GUY "NO WAY" AND NOT EXPECT TROUBLE.
    SO THE MUSTANG.......STILL BANGING AWAY ON SOME STUFF ON IT BEFORE IT FLIES AGAIN. MANY ITEMS TO
    ADDRESS, BUT SPRAYING HAS BEEN SLOW, SO I HAVE DONE SOME WORK ON IT.......
    UNFORTUNATELY, NEITHER MACHINE CAN BE MADE READY FOR RENO 2020 IF IT HAPPENS. HOWEVER, BILL SHEPHERD, WHOM I GOT THE YAK FROM, HAS PURCHASED AN ALLISON POWERED YAK AND ASKED IF I WOULD
    FLY IT AT RENO. SO, IF IT CAN ME READY FOR RENO, I MIGHT GET TO DRIVE IT AROUND CONSERVATIVELY.
    BEDTIME GUYS. DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS DIE. I WENT TO MY FIRST AIR RACE IN 1958 WHEN I WAS 7 YRS YOUNG, AND DECIDED I WAS GOING TO RACE. 21 YEARS LATER, RACED FORMULA AT CLEVELAND IN '79. BEEN THE LUCKIEST GUY I KNOW AND HAVE THE BEST FRIENDS A PERSON COULD EVER ASK FOR. NITE......
    DUSTY

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,970

    Default Re: Yes! The Chino Bearcat!

    Thanks Dusty! Will sent me the pics and said he will post them here today. Glad to hear the progress is coming along.

    Will and I were also talking about Billís Yak. Thatís a very good looking plane and I think we will all be very glad to see it on the course with you at the stick! Hopefully Lylia can make her well deserved return in 2021 in case you get some magic happening this year
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •