Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yes! The Chino Bearcat!

Originally posted by Dusty View Post
    I SPENT QUITE A BIT OF TIME WITH ELMER AND HELPED WITH PARTS OVER THE 11 YEAR RESTORATION. BEFORE THE ALZHEIMERS STARTED TO TAKE IT'S TOLL, WE WERE EATING PIE ALAMODE AT HIS HOUSE ONE NIGHT; HE STOPPED EATING, LOOKED STRAIGHT AT ME, AND SAID "I'M PRETTY SURE I PULLED THE MIXTURE BACK INSTEAD OF THE PROP",
    AND WENT ON THE EXPLAIN HE WAS MORE FAMILIAR WITH THE MUSTANG THAN THE BEARCAT AND GOT THE TWO CONTROLS MIXED UP. I SAW THE SPARK PLUGS AND THE CERAMICS WERE PURE, PURE WHITE, SO IT MADE SENSE.
    AFTER THE CRASH, I GAVE HIM SOME MORE PARTS TO REPAIR THE GULFHAWK. HE AND LOIS WERE VERY KIND TO ME
    AND I MISS THEM BOTH......
    DUSTY
    Can't tell you how much it means to the Air Racing Community having you stop by Dusty!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I was able to see the Gulfhawk that Elmer had at the Tracy warbird show several years ago. What a beautiful airplane it was, and I loved the paint scheme. Started talking to him and he invited my buddy and I behind the rope so we could really get a close up look at her. Was an experience I'll never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty View Post
        I SPENT QUITE A BIT OF TIME WITH ELMER AND HELPED WITH PARTS OVER THE 11 YEAR RESTORATION. BEFORE THE ALZHEIMERS STARTED TO TAKE IT'S TOLL, WE WERE EATING PIE ALAMODE AT HIS HOUSE ONE NIGHT; HE STOPPED EATING, LOOKED STRAIGHT AT ME, AND SAID "I'M PRETTY SURE I PULLED THE MIXTURE BACK INSTEAD OF THE PROP",
        AND WENT ON THE EXPLAIN HE WAS MORE FAMILIAR WITH THE MUSTANG THAN THE BEARCAT AND GOT THE TWO CONTROLS MIXED UP. I SAW THE SPARK PLUGS AND THE CERAMICS WERE PURE, PURE WHITE, SO IT MADE SENSE.
        AFTER THE CRASH, I GAVE HIM SOME MORE PARTS TO REPAIR THE GULFHAWK. HE AND LOIS WERE VERY KIND TO ME
        AND I MISS THEM BOTH......
        DUSTY
        Echoing Wayne's comment, glad to see you back here Dusty. I think we would all appreciate a thread about the work on the Yak and Mustang if you have the chance!
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I SENT A COUPLE PICTURES OF THE YAK EXHAUST MODS TO WILL CAMPBELL TO POST AS I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO
          ACCOMPLISH THAT ON MY OWN. THANK GOD I CAN FLY A LITTLE BETTER THAN I AM AN I.T. GUY......
          I COUPLE YEARS AGO, I WAS DOING LATE-NIGHT NACA SEARCHING AND FOUND A STUDY ON A P-41 WITH AN 1830 ENGINE SIMILAR TO MINE. THE ORIGINAL AIRCRAFT HAD A COLLECTOR LIKE I HAD, AND THEY INSTALLED 14 INDIVIDUAL
          "JET STACKS". DON'T REMEMBER THE EXACT NUMBERS CURRENTLY, BUT THEY ACHIEVED 18MPH INCREASE AT 350MPH
          AT 18,000' IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME. SO, SEEING HOW THE DC-3 COLLECTOR STACK WAS IN SORRY CONDITION, IT WAS ON "THE LIST" TO DO. THE OTHER ITEM TO ATTACK IS THE CARB INTAKE TRUNK, WHICH DID MAKE TWO 90 DEGREE BENDS FOLLOWED BY A 120 DEGREE BEND GOING INTO THE CARB. WUFFFF. ANYWAY, SO THAT WILL BE ADDRESSED
          AND HOPEFULLY ANOTHER NOSE SPINNING I WILL MAKE OUT OF GRAPHITE. THE NEW GOAL IS 400 ON THE COURSE. I TOLD OUR FEARLESS LEADER ( AND I MEAN THAT LITERALLY), ONE SHERMAN SMOOT, THAT I INTENDED TO COME BACK AND DO 400 AND HE SAID "NO WAY". WELL, YOU CAN'T TELL AN OLD IRISH GUY "NO WAY" AND NOT EXPECT TROUBLE.
          SO THE MUSTANG.......STILL BANGING AWAY ON SOME STUFF ON IT BEFORE IT FLIES AGAIN. MANY ITEMS TO
          ADDRESS, BUT SPRAYING HAS BEEN SLOW, SO I HAVE DONE SOME WORK ON IT.......
          UNFORTUNATELY, NEITHER MACHINE CAN BE MADE READY FOR RENO 2020 IF IT HAPPENS. HOWEVER, BILL SHEPHERD, WHOM I GOT THE YAK FROM, HAS PURCHASED AN ALLISON POWERED YAK AND ASKED IF I WOULD
          FLY IT AT RENO. SO, IF IT CAN ME READY FOR RENO, I MIGHT GET TO DRIVE IT AROUND CONSERVATIVELY.
          BEDTIME GUYS. DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS DIE. I WENT TO MY FIRST AIR RACE IN 1958 WHEN I WAS 7 YRS YOUNG, AND DECIDED I WAS GOING TO RACE. 21 YEARS LATER, RACED FORMULA AT CLEVELAND IN '79. BEEN THE LUCKIEST GUY I KNOW AND HAVE THE BEST FRIENDS A PERSON COULD EVER ASK FOR. NITE......
          DUSTY

Comment

Thanks Dusty! Will sent me the pics and said he will post them here today. Glad to hear the progress is coming along.

Will and I were also talking about Bill’s Yak. That’s a very good looking plane and I think we will all be very glad to see it on the course with you at the stick! Hopefully Lylia can make her well deserved return in 2021 in case you get some magic happening this year
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Thanks for update, Dusty. I’m certainly looking forward to seeing you fly again. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to chat you up pits again.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Pics of Dusty's new exhaust system are in the "Race 92 update...The quest for 400 mph" thread.

Will

Comment

Just watched a video on WIX - Warbird Information Exchange of Steve doing a couple engine runs... That beast turned 6 or 7 blades and lit right off !!! Sounded awesome !!!
                  Mike
                  Last edited by mkd1966; 05-07-2020, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mkd1966 View Post
                    Just watched a video on WIX - Warbird Information Exchange of Steve doing a couple engine runs... That beast turned 6 or 7 blades and lit right off !!! Sounded awesome !!!
                    Mike
                    It's getting exciting!

https://youtu.be/tWHjyAj_iNg
                    Random Air Blog

Comment

Full power runup!

https://youtu.be/Q4vU5PI03i8
                      Random Air Blog

Comment

It flew! Pictures from Frank Mormillo.

Random Air Blog

Comment

Awesome Planes Of Fame!

Comment

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great Photos. Its looking good. Who was the pilot Steve Hinton?
                              Lockheed Bob

Comment

First flight!

https://youtu.be/mtewKHbYTNU
                                Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X