I deleted a thread about the Ghost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I deleted a thread about the Ghost

I will say, I guess we are not yet ready.
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: I deleted a thread about the Ghost

Everything seemed benign up to the point of yesterday morning. So, some of us are (and have been) ready.

Comment

I posted the thread, and apologize to anyone that was upset. It was not my intention to upset anyone, but rather touch on the possible potential of one of the highest modified Mustangs yet to race. After watching the NTSB hearings video, my question has been answered. Again, I apologize!!
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
        I posted the thread, and apologize to anyone that was upset. It was not my intention to upset anyone, but rather touch on the possible potential of one of the highest modified Mustangs yet to race. After watching the NTSB hearings video, my question has been answered. Again, I apologize!!
        Brian
        IMO and for what it's worth, you have nothing to apologize for. You posed a question to the group and it's most certainly understood that you meant no harm or wished to upset anyone.

Look, most likely we are all separated by one or two degrees from someone who was involved in the accident in some manner, and we all react differently when the subject to brought up. But that's the point...it WAS brought up, in what I thought was a respectful manner. I've never subscribed to the "Thou Shalt Not Speak Of It" approach.

And the fact is, given the subject title you gave the thread, EVERYONE had a choice. Click on it, read it, and/or comment, or not. No one forced anyone to open the thread and read it, let alone comment. Don't wish to read or talk about it, then don't open the thread. It's that simple. This is still America, isn't it (tho watching some of the Wuhan virus BS that's going on, one has to wonder if anyone as read the US Constitution)...another thread for another time.

I, for one, thank you for posting an interesting question.
        Owen Ashurst
        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Honestly, I deleted the thread because of the video being posted and objection to it and then one of the moderators or the person who posted it initially deleted the video (I think you can delete own post for a few minutes)

ANYWAY!

I absolutely loved Jimmy and his enthusiasm, I hated the way the NTSB investigation tended to throw him under the bus..

Discuss on but that video really does not need to be seen here.. I am ok with that part! I can reopen the thread if you like..
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
            Honestly, I deleted the thread because of the video being posted and objection to it and then one of the moderators or the person who posted it initially deleted the video (I think you can delete own post for a few minutes)

ANYWAY!

I absolutely loved Jimmy and his enthusiasm, I hated the way the NTSB investigation tended to throw him under the bus..

Discuss on but that video really does not need to be seen here.. I am ok with that part! I can reopen the thread if you like..
            Good input, Wayne. I'd agree. If you want to view the video of the incident, there are innumerable places to do that. AAFO doesn't need to be one of them.

Will say I don't think NTSB had an axe to grind RE: Jimmy. And all I know is what I read in the report. I've always regarded NTSB as being an impartial advocate for finding the truth. One of THE most impartial, frankly, across the entire federal landscape.

As President John Adams once said, "Facts are stubborn things." I met Jimmy several times and he was always cordial and welcoming, even in the GG pit at 2300hrs shooting time-lapse night shots. He was in many respects an icon in this sport. That said, there's no escaping the facts as they were borne-out in the NTSB report. Certainly seems like GG went through some rather substantial structural and mechanical changes...many of which were, according to NTSB, not subject to inspection or flight tests.

Back to my other point and the basis for the intial question: what if GG had jumped through all the FAA hoops regarding her modifications? Could she have pushed Strega, VooDoo, Bear beyond their capabilities or endurance?

Thanks for all you do for all of us, Wayne. Please see your PM for a message from me.
            Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post

ANYWAY!

Thank you, but as far as I'm concerned, there's no need to reopen it.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
                Good input, Wayne. I'd agree. If you want to view the video of the incident, there are innumerable places to do that. AAFO doesn't need to be one of them.

Will say I don't think NTSB had an axe to grind RE: Jimmy. And all I know is what I read in the report. I've always regarded NTSB as being an impartial advocate for finding the truth. One of THE most impartial, frankly, across the entire federal landscape.

As President John Adams once said, "Facts are stubborn things." I met Jimmy several times and he was always cordial and welcoming, even in the GG pit at 2300hrs shooting time-lapse night shots. He was in many respects an icon in this sport. That said, there's no escaping the facts as they were borne-out in the NTSB report. Certainly seems like GG went through some rather substantial structural and mechanical changes...many of which were, according to NTSB, not subject to inspection or flight tests.

Back to my other point and the basis for the intial question: what if GG had jumped through all the FAA hoops regarding her modifications? Could she have pushed Strega, VooDoo, Bear beyond their capabilities or endurance?

Thanks for all you do for all of us, Wayne. Please see your PM for a message from me.
                Thanks Boss... I saw it but have not yet been there.. saw a brief of the message, looked like you were pissed at me so I didn't go on... sorry.. Looking now..
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Did anyone get an accurate reading of GG's speed during the race?

It looked really fast.

Comment

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
                    Did anyone get an accurate reading of GG's speed during the race?

It looked really fast.
                    NTSB Report indicates GG was at 445kts or 512mph at the time of the upset. Checked RARA records online and I don't see where they posted any times for any racer for that heat.

I'll say this...when GG passed Bear coming around Home Pylon, everyone around me said the same thing, "Holy ****!"
                    Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
                      NTSB Report indicates GG was at 445kts or 512mph at the time of the upset. Checked RARA records online and I don't see where they posted any times for any racer for that heat.

I'll say this...when GG passed Bear coming around Home Pylon, everyone around me said the same thing, "Holy ****!"
                      I remember that pass, wow, look at that I yelled!!

My last works were "Go Ghost Go"

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03847.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	229646

Shortly after that, the day ended the same way the day ended when my daughter called me and said Dale Sr. passed away after his crash at Daytona.

Jimmy was a bigger than life hero as was Dale Earnhardt Sr to me.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 04-16-2020, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Was that pass on the last lap before the accident?

Who did Leeward's engines?

T J

Comment

Originally posted by T J Johansen View Post
                          Was that pass on the last lap before the accident?

Who did Leeward's engines?

T J
                          Yes. GG passed Bear coming past Home Pylon as she started her final lap.

Leave it to SME's on here to chat about her engines.
                          Owen Ashurst

Comment

Heres one I have never shared before, on that Sunday at the main entrance.

It was a sad day.

Then the local news stations started their news cast with the impact video for the next month.

That is one reason I never care to see that impact shot posted again!

Done, I got it!.

Let's move on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03849.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	623.2 KB
ID:	229649
                            Last edited by Desertdawg; 04-16-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

It's all about the spirit to want to win!!

Jimmy went by over us on Pylon 4 and he pushed down enough to get neg g's on the boiloff and it farted a big belch of steam/water..

Indication that he was ON IT and going to go for it..

Then you can't see much from outer 4 so you are basically just watching, waiting for the next photo opportunity.... in that idle thought moment almost surreal, an airplane went up at an insane angle, I thought a really aggressive mayday, the pullup turns into the loop and it's over..

That moment changed my life forever..
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X