A very small bubble...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very small bubble...

Living amongst the Covid-19 restrictions at present one has been going through books not thumbed through for a while. One such book is "Mustang Survivors" by Paul Coggan, published in 1987. In one of the appendixes there is a list of Mustangs equipped for air racing. amongst them is "Vendetta" although it was not yet finished. Not even a hint as to what kind of wings it was going to utilize. Another is the project 44-12840 which at the time was owned by Joe Kasperoff. The text is as follows:

At the time of writing this aircraft was being rebuilt at Sylmar, California. It is believed the aircraft will be used for air racing with a modified Zeuschel Merlin and a very small bubble canopy which was previously installed on N1751D.
    For those not familiar with this set- up, this is what N5452V (N1751D) looked like.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P-51D N5452V[2] Hayward, CA 1972-73.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	242364

So, to those who were present at the time. Did anyone hear about this conversion, was there any hints that Kasperoff was involved with a racing Mustang at all? I mean, by early 1988 he had Yak-11 "Mr. Awesome" ready to go. Would there have been time (and will) to do two racers simultanously? Or was it all a red herring to keep the build of the Yak a secret? If that even was kept a secret.

So, now as I have gone through the book of the day, and asked relevant questions on a forum I will have a beer and a pizza while streaming old episodes of Kojak, Cannon, Quincy and The Streets of San Francisco. You just know I live the high life!

T J

Re: A very small bubble...

Can’t wait to see what is known about the 19. It’s odd looking with that dinky canopy. Thanks for sharing that.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
      Can’t wait to see what is known about the 19. It’s odd looking with that dinky canopy. Thanks for sharing that.
      Better known as Miss America

Comment

No, not "Miss America" but rather Dave Allender's second Mustang. This one became "Sierra Sue II" with Roger Christgau.

T J

Comment

I think he is talking about the Mustang owned by Tom Cruise? http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51...erial/44-12840
          Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by T J Johansen View Post
            No, not "Miss America" but rather Dave Allender's second Mustang. This one became "Sierra Sue II" with Roger Christgau.

T J
            The warbird registry follows the history of all North American Aviation P-51 Mustangs that survived military service.

How many race 19's were there?
            Last edited by toldjaso; 04-12-2020, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
              Two. Both owned by Allender, one became Miss America the other one is Sierra Sue II.

Photos from Big Jim;
              Attached Files
              remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Working...
              X