Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Corsair Hiding In Old Stead Bear Cave 3-14-2020

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
    Almost thought we were going to have a mayday.

A ways over the house she started popping and sputtering, then they turned west towards the airport and started a decent. After a while she appeared from behind Juniper Ridge getting into the Stead flight pattern with landing gear down.

Sounded good on approach.

Was that some sort of systems check/test?

Dawg!! This is your mission, should you choose to accept it.. an accredited aviation publication that serves the classic aviation community, particularly, aircraft that have raced, and even more particularly, aircraft that are located at Reno Stead Airport..

Dawg.. I am truly nearly early Alzheimer's as far as frickin facial/name memory and it drives me crazy..

THAT SAID!

You are out there, you can represent AAFO.COM simply by stating so.. POLITELY!!

What I learned when I first started doing reporting about this sport.. I would wear a big camera, sidle up to the principals, get talking and then tell them about my dream of bringing air racing to the public via the net...

Damn! almost everyone talked to me and asked how to get their story out....

Feel free to politely approach anyone involved with anything we're all interested in identifying yourself as a reporter for the HangarTalk message board.. Respect the airport rules about where you can and can't be, if anything is particularly interesting and you don't know how to approach it... PM me..

I might be able to help.

THIS SPORT NEEDS AN ON SITE REPORTER/s AT RENO OFF SEASON!

Lockheed Bob was doing this for us.. we love you Bob! He had to move due to Ox levels up there..

Anyway...

You guys who live out there and love going out there.. In some cases I might be able to gain further access if you find something of interest..

ESPECIALLY.. If the races do not manage to happen, it is going to be up to us to keep and BUILD the interest...

I'm in the process of locking down a new server for us that thanks to you guys, I can set us up for at least a year where we are now!!

THANKS!

Pretty easy for me to set up a trust to keep it running but I'd have to find someone who knows how to do this crap who would take over on the admin side..

Makes me sad thinking about that..
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I was in Santa Rosa (STS) airport and seen the Korbel jet leave in the morning. I didn’t see a Corsair on the ramp last night. Is it still at Stead?

Comment

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
        The man in the black hat was on the line to fly in the 2010 gold race that was canceled due to wind.
        Wayne,
        Another hint as to the identity of the gentleman in the black hat with the NRA t-shirt, he was he was flying in second place in the Friday 2011 Unlimited heat race.

Comment

Wayne,
          Another hint as to the identity of the gentleman in the black hat with the NRA t-shirt, he was he was flying in second place in the Friday 2011 Unlimited heat race.
          Cryptic, but that doesn't look like Will to me?
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Wayne,
            I forgot to mention that when the Korbel jet left Santa Rosa Will Whitestead was on board. He does all the flying for Korbel so my guess would be Will will fly the Corsair home.

Comment

It's staying in the Aviation Classics hangar, what was called the Bear Cave a while back and used to house her. I was told the pilot is getting time in it before it leaves. I know yesterday he was doing airwork like we all have, rolls, stalls dirty and clean.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

She's up again, late afternoon flight. The jet flew in this morning and about 15 minutes ago I heard her take off.

Sounds so much like the Bear.

Flew counter-clockwise around Stead airport to get to altitude, then just light throttle putt CC around the airport.

Comment

Friday 4-8 she was up again and just landed.

Today they did some rolls, by the time I ran in and got the camera she was done with rolls.

I did try my new D500 w/500mm lens finally. Have had the camera for 18 moths and the first time I have had a chance to use it.

Puledl her in pretty good from high over the airport.

When they were doing rolls they were north of the house between Juniper and Coyote ridge, those would have been closer shots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0021.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	229692Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0019.jpeg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	229691

Comment

Love the sound! He only passed over my way once though.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Friday 4/8 2:16pm, she was up a 2nd time and just put down gear,

What a stout flyable warbird.

This time they gained attitude and looks/sound like they tested stall speed/characteristics.

Wonder what the plan is, they are spending a lot of time/money?

Are they training someone how to fly her?

Not the most pristine warbird, but definitely something very dependable and flyable.

Hope they continue to share the experience with others.

Heres a photo from the 2010 Sonoma Historic races of a Cobra. Use it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02813.jpeg
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	229694

Comment

She's up again today. On FlightAware this time!
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Just took off.

On the move.

Comment

The track looks like she is heading to Chino?

PoF?

Comment

Cessna Citation on its tail.

Comment

Nice morning for a flight, hopefully they have a photographer on board the Citation :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X