Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any thoughts of the Virus affecting the 2020 Races ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any thoughts of the Virus affecting the 2020 Races ?

Ouch. When was it?
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
      Ouch. When was it?
      July 20-26. Using the same decision timeframe, RARA would make their decision if it’s a go by the beginning of August.
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

That's about when I figured. The Hot August Nights group is saying six weeks lead time and that sounded about right for all of these things.
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Every event is making their decisions based on the facts on the ground at the time they have to pull the trigger.

I have an exec meeting for Seafair (29Jul-02Aug) on 19May. May know more before that but it indicates their timeline of decision-making.

Fortunate that Reno is mid-Sep as it gives us more runway. I'm preparing for the best case scenario...and cautiously optimistic.
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Me too. I figure if I work hard to be ready for this year and it tanks, I'm just that ready for next year.
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Me too. I figure if I work hard to be ready for this year and it tanks, I'm just that ready for next year.
              Yessir. That's been my approach as well.

I've submitted all FAA docs for three shows already and three more in work. Told every show that regardless of how much work I do in advance of the event, if it's cancelled due to pandemic they owe me nothing...we're just way ahead of schedule for 2021!

Stay well, young man! Best to you both.
              Owen Ashurst

Comment

Just got a call from RARA , phone survey asking if I bought a ticket for this year would I 1) donate $ 2) use funds for next year 3) request refund.... So it sounds like they are getting close to cancelling in my opinion .... On a side note we had tickets for this years Shakespeare at Lake Tahoe ...July 31 and they just cancelled ! and Toby Keith was postponed a year from July 11th ....

Comment

Beer Nazi and I just purchased our first home together, it's set to close soon but I'm really hoping the move does not impede my ability to get there this year...

Again, I'm thinking I'm there for the show and shine unofficial fly-in that's going to happen should RARA decide to stand down for the year.

Also, once again, I've gotta say, it's going to be up to us fans to keep the interest up if we have to endure another 365 days of off season!

Air Racing is going to need our help BIG TIME!

Once I get moved, pull everything I have scattered around in various storage areas, get my scanners back on line, I'm ready to bring out a lot of my history of shooting at RENO. I've got a TON of video from the 80's and more, can't remember the dates but it's when Canon had their Hi8 camcorder out.. I bought one, still have it... don't work no more!!!

Anyway, lots of stuff on those Hi8 tapes I have, got to figure an efficient way to transfer to digital!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                    Beer Nazi and I just purchased our first home together, it's set to close soon but I'm really hoping the move does not impede my ability to get there this year...

Again, I'm thinking I'm there for the show and shine unofficial fly-in that's going to happen should RARA decide to stand down for the year.

Also, once again, I've gotta say, it's going to be up to us fans to keep the interest up if we have to endure another 365 days of off season!

Air Racing is going to need our help BIG TIME!

Once I get moved, pull everything I have scattered around in various storage areas, get my scanners back on line, I'm ready to bring out a lot of my history of shooting at RENO. I've got a TON of video from the 80's and more, can't remember the dates but it's when Canon had their Hi8 camcorder out.. I bought one, still have it... don't work no more!!!

Anyway, lots of stuff on those Hi8 tapes I have, got to figure an efficient way to transfer to digital!
                    Don't know anything about them know there are a frw models like this out there:
                    https://www.clearclick.tech/products/video2digital-converter-2-0-second-generation-capture-video-from-vcrs-vhs-tapes-hi8-camcorder-dvd-gaming-systems-no-computer-required

Could go with folks like LegacyBox or whatever but that could get $$$!
                    Last edited by Air Boss; 06-03-2020, 06:41 AM.
                    Owen Ashurst

Comment

I have a ton of Hi8 family vids I need to convert as well.

I've digitized 35 VHS family (up to 1996) vids already. To captured and edit and create a quality movie takes a a lot of hours (20+ hours each). I was doing 2 a year during the winter.

I have a Sony stand alone Hi8 player I used for playback to save wear and tear on my Canon Hi 8 camera.

Before I start with digitizing my 29 family Hi8s (1997-2007) I need to send in my Sony player and have new belts installed and get it serviced. The last time I used it (years ago) it ate a tape:-(

Comment

The coolest thing is that I'm finally going to have the room to be able to have *everything* in one place/space!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yeah, but the "roomy" places seem to shrink over time!
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Yeah, but the "roomy" places seem to shrink over time!
                            Living in first apartments, then condos since leaving my cheating ex... even just a small home would be lovely! This particular home is about 2300sqft but it has a 2300sqft SHOP/GARAGE in the back yard....

I also have to thank you guys! Your support has enabled me to take the $220. per month out of pocket for the server we run on and put it on a 24 month pre-paid program... I live on Social Security bennies, and a stipend from a 401k... every $$ counts!
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Costco Photo can transfer Hi8 and many other formats to DVD and USB if you would rather pay than put in the hours.

Comment

My wife finally put the kibosh on any more "memorabilia" and plane parts. I have so many posters, artwork and a OT of my artwork that is stored as there is no more wall space available!

My son has a museum started. He has copies of most of my work plus other things, propeller blades, engine parts, even a disarmed but operational ejection seat!
                                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X