Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any thoughts of the Virus affecting the 2020 Races ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any thoughts of the Virus affecting the 2020 Races ?

Owen,

Last week I finally ordered a new pellet stove ignitor, Google pulls up several vendors.

One vendor says "Made in USA" end of search for me, ordered it.

During this unprecedented shutdown - this is the "perfect storm" for bringing the production back to our hemisphere.

Once we kick the "Chinese virus" outta here, there will be a lot of unemployment with old jobs being gone.

Let's use the time and monies to bring 90% production home to us and our neighbors.

Comment

Just saw Burning Man just north of Reno has been cancelled due to the virus. End of August .....

Comment

The list of ICAS airshows around the US and Canada that have either cancelled or been postponed is getting longer by the day. Now stands at around 60 total, including many shows in August, September and October.

Nothing confirmed RE: PRS but I can say it is being looked at very hard and decisions are imminent.

So far, none of my shows have been cancelled but suspect April may well be drop-dead time. When you think about it from a major sponsors perspective, I may be very difficult to justify spending tens of thousands of dollar on sponsorship while at the same time you have hundreds of employees either laid-off, furloughed, and struggling to get back on their feet.

It's going to be a very different summer for everyone...everywhere.
        Owen Ashurst
        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
          ...It may be very difficult to justify spending tens of thousands of dollar on sponsorship while at the same time you have hundreds of employees either laid-off, furloughed, and struggling to get back on their feet.

It's going to be a very different summer for everyone...everywhere.
          Or maybe that's how you get back to work - stimulate the demand. In the just-past strong economy, my employer (a major airline) really didn't need to sell, load factors were very high no matter the sales effort. We're going to have to relearn how to sell in order to get out of this hole.

Just my opinion, of course, but sitting back spouting "woe-is-me" isn't the solution.

Comment

It will be a rough years even if the races do go off as scheduled. A lot of the racers will end up not having the $$ or the time off to come race this year. I expect the total entry list to be down a minimum of 20% or so compared to last year. Obviously some classes will be affected more than others.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
              Or maybe that's how you get back to work - stimulate the demand. In the just-past strong economy, my employer (a major airline) really didn't need to sell, load factors were very high no matter the sales effort. We're going to have to relearn how to sell in order to get out of this hole.

Just my opinion, of course, but sitting back spouting "woe-is-me" isn't the solution.
              I agree and I hope that's how we get back on our feet, though I doubt seriously we can turn it back on as quickly as we shut it down. Merely pointing out in the current environment (where folks are so quick to place blame and bad-mouth "corporate America"), it may be a challenge from a PR perspective to pull that off. And at this point, anecdotally from a few of my shows, that's what I'm hearing from producers who are having serious converations with their sponsors. A definite reluctance to commit to discretionary spending.
              Owen Ashurst

Comment

I agree and I hope that's how we get back on our feet, though I doubt seriously we can turn it back on as quickly as we shut it down. Merely pointing out in the current environment (where folks are so quick to place blame and bad-mouth "corporate America"), it may be a challenge from a PR perspective to pull that off. And at this point, anecdotally from a few of my shows, that's what I'm hearing from producers who are having serious converations with their sponsors. A definite reluctance to commit to discretionary spending.
                I do agree that the recovery won't be as quick as the sudden down turn. First I heard predictions of a V-shaped economic bounce, but my prediction was a checkmark shaped one as any economy depends on confidence. And confidence is akin to trust; easy to lose, but slow to rebuild.

And as for retaining sponsors - if the prior/old sponsors don't step up again (a natural hesitation), it's an opportunity for their competitors to do so.
                Last edited by FlyKidChris; 04-12-2020, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I do agree that the recovery won't be as quick as the sudden down turn. First I heard predictions of a V-shaped economic bounce, but my prediction was a checkmark shaped one as any economy depends on confidence. And confidence is akin to trust; easy to lose, but slow to rebuild.

And as for retaining sponsors - if the prior/old sponsors don't step up again (a natural hesitation), it's an opportunity for their competitors to do so.
                  Indeed. Still believe the underlying foundation of the US economy is strong. Market seems to reflect that in that it's recovered 40%+ of its losses during this crisis. And the sooner we get back to normal (or whatever may pass for it), the better for all of us. Cannot imagine what we'd be talking about if we were in the midst of a 2008-2009 type economy when this hit.

You may be right re: sponsors but the other side of that same coin is that if sponsors weren't so inclined prior to this crap hitting the fan, one wonders how inclined they may be now. No doubt there will be "opportunities" along this line. From your lips to God's ear!

We're in uncharted territory in many respects. Medically, economically, constitutionally, et al. Human nature being what it is, it will be interesting to watch how much and to what extent our "old" normal cultural norms remain...and how many "new" norms become SOP as they carry-over from this crisis.
                  Last edited by Air Boss; 04-13-2020, 12:00 PM.
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

Indeed. Still believe the underlying foundation of the US economy is strong...

...We're in uncharted territory in many respects. Medically, economically, constitutionally, et al. Human nature being what it is, it will be interesting to watch how much and to what extent our "old" normal cultural norms remain...and how many "new" norms become SOP as they carry-over from this crisis.
                    Had a chat with one of the RARA officials yesterday. PRS could well be moved to later in the summer.

Comment

Had a chat with one of the RARA officials yesterday. PRS could well be moved to later in the summer.
                      It is under strong consideration right now and a decision is imminent.
                      Owen Ashurst

Comment

With burning man cancelled, the Italian festival cancelled, I wonder if this will happen at all. Been waiting to hear about the rib fest and Hot August nights, they say decisions are pending.
                        I am doing shirt designs for a vendor this year and am planning on setting things up so 2020 can easily be changed to 2021...
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                          With burning man cancelled, the Italian festival cancelled, I wonder if this will happen at all. Been waiting to hear about the rib fest and Hot August nights, they say decisions are pending.
                          I am doing shirt designs for a vendor this year and am planning on setting things up so 2020 can easily be changed to 2021...
                          Hope you can keep the 2020 date, Leo. It's a complicated calculus for sure.
                          Owen Ashurst

Comment

I'm working and planning as if it is happening. If not it will break my string, I've only missed 2 since '76.
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Some dude violated quarantine while infected with Covid-19.

A bicyclist saw him and asked why he was out and about with his wife and kids in close proximity.

Dude got angry.

Dude had a meltdown on a radio show.

Then he announced his wife is now infected.

Dude is not very smart in preventing the spread of Covid-19..

Comment

CORONAVIRUS UNCERTAINTY FORCES CANCELLATION OF EAA AIRVENTURE OSHKOSH 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X