Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts of the Virus affecting the 2020 Races ?

Default Re: Any thoughts of the Virus affecting the 2020 Races ?

Just saw the Los Angeles Air Show at Fox Field in southern California next weekend has been cancelled due to the corona virus concerns. Guess I won't be going to that one

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrace View Post
    Yes , we need to stay calm , but do not brush this off as the flu , it is most definitely NOT the flu. Not trying to antagonize anyone, I just want people to read and educate themselves.
    And conversations about preventative steps are not panic. There needs to be - at least - enough conversation to invigorate preparedness and willingness to accept and adopt preemptive measures.

No, I'm not panicking. Yes, I am staying informed and being cautious. "Wait and see" will cost lives.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrace View Post
    I do agree that people should calm down… But it is also important to understand that the death rate for the 2009 outbreak of H1N1 which is a variation of influenza (which Covid-19 is not ) was a fraction in comparison to the current assessed death rate for Covid-19. There has now been a large enough case sample of Covid-19 patients to have a determinable death rate ( even with the variable of how many people have had it without being tested) to show cause for concern. With a death rate of 1.5 to 3.4 percent if the same number of people contract Covid- 19 as did H1N1 using the average of 2 percent it would mean the deaths of 1.2 million people…They will be mostly the elderly and compromised , but you can bet you’re gonna know somebody that loses their battle if this gets out of hand. Due to the fact that so many cases of Covid-19 require hospitalization it would be easy for it to overwhelm the medical community which is what makes this type of outbreak dangerous. Yes , we need to stay calm , but do not brush this off as the flu , it is most definitely NOT the flu. Not trying to antagonize anyone, I just want people to read and educate themselves.
    No question we all must be vigilant and do all those things our mom's told us to do. Proper hygiene, proper diet, wash your hands, etc. Not sure I agree 100% regarding the death rate as, at least in the US, the curve has been flattened because the testing process was a trainwreck out of the gate. It's really pathetic how the CDC rolled that out. Restricting testing to clinically referred made absolutely no sense...except that they knew full well they could not support mass testing on any scale. Lesson learned. Once sample size rises exponentially (hopefully soon!) and awareness/self-resolved/treatment rises as well, the death rate will drop. But whatever that percentage is, it doesn't matter one bit if it's someone you know and love.

My point about citing the H1N1 scenario was not to compare the disease, but to contrast the response and the impact on the event (Reno) itself. There is plenty of runway in front of us at this point. Let's keep our heads, follow the rules, make good choices, and I'm confident we'll gather once again in the high desert in June and September.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

Beds are full here and people are showing up at urgent care clinics (that can't help them) thinking they will find a bed.

Quote Originally Posted by IcePaq View Post
    Beds are full here and people are showing up at urgent care clinics (that can't help them) thinking they will find a bed.
    Yes MIT study shows that it can stay alive 3 hrs in the air..just hand washing isn't enough.

Italy is losing the game..over 17 000 infected and over 1200 dead. They will top China figures in a week or so.....and wear no face masks.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...us-death-toll/

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Yes MIT study shows that it can stay alive 3 hrs in the air..just hand washing isn't enough.

Italy is losing the game..over 17 000 infected and over 1200 dead. They will top China figures in a week or so.....and wear no face masks.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...us-death-toll/
    The Italian spirit is still alive.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-lockdown

They're stuggling but will survive. My money's on them to come out of this OK. Sad nonetheless.

That said, it certainly seems like China got exactly what they wanted with COVID-19. A global recession that drives global economies back to them. Long past time that the US tell Xi and his Chinese cabal to go pound sand. Bring the supply chain back to the US for crucial goods and services, like tech, medical, etc.

OK...soap box back under the table.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

Quote Originally Posted by Air Boss View Post
    That said, it certainly seems like China got exactly what they wanted with COVID-19. A global recession that drives global economies back to them. Long past time that the US tell Xi and his Chinese cabal to go pound sand. Bring the supply chain back to the US for crucial goods and services, like tech, medical, etc.
    Right on Owen, we think a like. For decades I have checked labels for made in any place but China. Always wondered my we gleefully sent our money and intellectual knowledge/property to a Communist country???

The purveyors of landfill merchandise "Wally World" didn't help.

I'd rather pay a bit more knowing I put an American and/or our southern and northern neighbors to work.

The western world can take credit for helping build the Chinese military, and now we all got the "Chinese Virus".
    Last edited by Desertdawg; 03-17-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post
    Right on Owen, we think a like. For decades I have checked labels for made in any place but China. Always wondered my we gleefully sent our money and intellectual knowledge/property to a Communist country???

The purveyors of landfill merchandise "Wally World" didn't help.

I'd rather pay a bit more knowing I put an American and/or our southern and northern neighbors to work.

The western world can take credit for helping build the Chinese military, and now we all got the "Chinese Virus".
    All this because someone in China ate his bat soup like sushi.....raw ( I assume ): https://www.worldometers.info/corona...us-has-spread/

It is almost beyond comprehension.
    Last edited by Jukka; 03-25-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Nascar is trying virtual races, heard it had good reviews. Maybe NHRA will follow suit.

Give fans an outlet for enjoying a sport on a weekend.

Create an air race simulation game with Stead airfield graphics and the pilots race and we can follow.

Somehow I think the younger pilots would have an advantage vs us old guys.