Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any thoughts of the Virus affecting the 2020 Races ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any thoughts of the Virus affecting the 2020 Races ?

Originally posted by Jukka View Post
    Yes MIT study shows that it can stay alive 3 hrs in the air..just hand washing isn't enough.

Italy is losing the game..over 17 000 infected and over 1200 dead. They will top China figures in a week or so.....and wear no face masks.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...us-death-toll/
    The Italian spirit is still alive.

Comment

They're stuggling but will survive. My money's on them to come out of this OK. Sad nonetheless.

That said, it certainly seems like China got exactly what they wanted with COVID-19. A global recession that drives global economies back to them. Long past time that the US tell Xi and his Chinese cabal to go pound sand. Bring the supply chain back to the US for crucial goods and services, like tech, medical, etc.

OK...soap box back under the table.
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
        That said, it certainly seems like China got exactly what they wanted with COVID-19. A global recession that drives global economies back to them. Long past time that the US tell Xi and his Chinese cabal to go pound sand. Bring the supply chain back to the US for crucial goods and services, like tech, medical, etc.
        Right on Owen, we think a like. For decades I have checked labels for made in any place but China. Always wondered my we gleefully sent our money and intellectual knowledge/property to a Communist country???

The purveyors of landfill merchandise "Wally World" didn't help.

I'd rather pay a bit more knowing I put an American and/or our southern and northern neighbors to work.

The western world can take credit for helping build the Chinese military, and now we all got the "Chinese Virus".
        Last edited by Desertdawg; 03-17-2020, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
          Right on Owen, we think a like. For decades I have checked labels for made in any place but China. Always wondered my we gleefully sent our money and intellectual knowledge/property to a Communist country???

The purveyors of landfill merchandise "Wally World" didn't help.

I'd rather pay a bit more knowing I put an American and/or our southern and northern neighbors to work.

The western world can take credit for helping build the Chinese military, and now we all got the "Chinese Virus".
          All this because someone in China ate his bat soup like sushi.....raw ( I assume ): https://www.worldometers.info/corona...us-has-spread/

It is almost beyond comprehension.
          Last edited by Jukka; 03-25-2020, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Nascar is trying virtual races, heard it had good reviews. Maybe NHRA will follow suit.

Give fans an outlet for enjoying a sport on a weekend.

Create an air race simulation game with Stead airfield graphics and the pilots race and we can follow.

Somehow I think the younger pilots would have an advantage vs us old guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukka View Post
              All this because someone in China ate his bat soup like sushi.....raw ( I assume ): https://www.worldometers.info/corona...us-has-spread/

It is almost beyond comprehension.
              Being among the "at risk" versions of the human form due to cancer age, asthma and self-induced crap like being a long time smoker (ex for a long time! Since 2004), I have viewed this since the beginning as one of the "oh well, maybe this one will get me" frame of mind. I kept doing my normal day to day stuff, like I have with every other virus that's come at us over the decades.

I survived a pretty bad bout with stage 4 throat cancer in 2004, after that, a bad case of Norovirus about ten years later. Prior to that, a serious concussion on my 14th birthday with resulting high fever, vomiting.. yadda yadda… never saw a doctor! (we were basically country-folk) I've just figured that, if this one gets me, it gets me!

I absolutely hate to agree with our President on most issues, I do agree that the reaction to the problem should never be worse than the problem.. What in hell are we doing??????
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Question:

Will you attend if:

No airshow but a full air race schedule

A limited airshow schedule and a full air race schedule

A full airshow schedule and a full race schedule

A full airshow schedule and a limited air race schedule

These are uncharted waters for the entire airshow industry. We all have an opportunity to have a voice.
                Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                  Being among the "at risk" versions of the human form due to cancer age, asthma and self-induced crap like being a long time smoker (ex for a long time! Since 2004), I have viewed this since the beginning as one of the "oh well, maybe this one will get me" frame of mind. I kept doing my normal day to day stuff, like I have with every other virus that's come at us over the decades.

I survived a pretty bad bout with stage 4 throat cancer in 2004, after that, a bad case of Norovirus about ten years later. Prior to that, a serious concussion on my 14th birthday with resulting high fever, vomiting.. yadda yadda… never saw a doctor! (we were basically country-folk) I've just figured that, if this one gets me, it gets me!

I absolutely hate to agree with our President on most issues, I do agree that the reaction to the problem should never be worse than the problem.. What in hell are we doing??????
                  Agree, Wayne. I understand this a novel virus. Got it. But for God sake, influenze infects 30M (yeah, that's 30 flippin million) US citizen annually and kills upwards of 30K by recent CDC numbers. What the #%#$ are we doing, indeed. Shutting down the worlds stongest economy for weeks if not months at a time seems...well...exactly what China wanted in the first place. Not a huge fan of conspiracy theories but you gotta wonder.
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

Truly hard to compare the numbers...

"Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled. More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44."

I do think about the possibility of a serious car accident, nearly every time I drive, I marvel at how close we are to each other on two lane roads! Yet, I drive them all the time. CAREFULLY but, fully knowing that at any second, I could die a painful death.

I've had a few times in my life where I actually didn't feel safe in a motor vehicle...

I still drive everywhere as do most of us...

The numbers folks... look at the numbers!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                      Truly hard to compare the numbers...

"Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled. More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44."

I do think about the possibility of a serious car accident, nearly every time I drive, I marvel at how close we are to each other on two lane roads! Yet, I drive them all the time. CAREFULLY but, fully knowing that at any second, I could die a painful death.

I've had a few times in my life where I actually didn't feel safe in a motor vehicle...

I still drive everywhere as do most of us...

The numbers folks... look at the numbers!
                      If the US is not one of the worlds largest producers of medial equipment, antibiotics, et al in 2-3 years, well...shame on us. We should tell the corrupt, communist, pathetically backward culture in China to go ###$$$ pound sand. China has been a bad actor on the world stage for decades. Time to tell Xi to eat bats.
                      Owen Ashurst

Comment

If you think the coronavirus is small beans, you are greatly mistaken.

Unless you were in WWII, this pandemic will be the biggest event of your lifetime.

My girl is a nurse on the front lines testing patients for coronavirus, my mom is locked down in "the kensington" in falls church with symptoms after a few other people at the assisted living facility have tested positive, and my it's tough to find my favorite drinks and food.

People formerly against guns are buying them in droves and ammo is getting tough to find.
                        Beginners taking up arms is bad because they don't have the wisdom of experience.

It's not so much the virus but rather the general public deciding "there are no rules" and tipping this into a giant toiletpaper fight at costco.

You will likely have a friend or family member die..........especially when the health system is overrun (already is).

Youtube is making it hard to find the videos from medical expert and stops notifications going to people who are subscribed to them.

Do a search on youtube with the term "roylab", click the channel icon, and you can find the current scoreboard.
                        If you try to search for the live scoreboard video itself, youtube will only return older videos that show far lower numbers.

This one is live now but far harder to find than feeds that are days or weeks old.

Comment

Question:

Will you attend if:

These are uncharted waters for the entire airshow industry. We all have an opportunity to have a voice.
                          If there is a race, my family, friends and I will be there. I've already paid for my 2020 tickets. If you cannot race for any reason, I do not need a refund. I did not take a refund in 2001 or 2011. I'm interested in continuity of this event (and others that I attend annually).

I honestly don't know of what all it takes to put on the race, but I am appreciative of the efforts of everyone involved. While I hope that things can proceed as planned, I'm fully supportive in the case where difficult decisions need to be made.

Comment

I don't think stead or anywhere nearby will ever become a "hot zone" and it's likely that, by september, things will have settled down quite a bit.

Comment

Question:

Will you attend if:

Would of course prefer the top three. I love all classes, but a limited race schedule that included Unlimited and Sport gold would be enough for me to attend, lol.
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

If things haven't settled down by September, then we all have bigger things to worry about. There will still be small pockets popping up likely, but the mass hysteria should have settled down.

Life is getting back to normal in China now and the only new cases popping up are from nationals coming back home from overseas and bringing it with them.

If we all do our bit we can get there too. Judging by the lack of traffic on the roads in what should be rush hour, people are staying home. So I'm hopeful for September.

GP

Comment

Working...
                                X