Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any thoughts of the Virus affecting the 2020 Races ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts of the Virus affecting the 2020 Races ?

Hope this does not happen but ....

Re: Any thoughts of the Virus affecting the 2020 Races ?

Originally posted by AiRick View Post
    Hope this does not happen but ....
    Highly unlikely. I can see airshows over the next few months being affected, but by the time summer comes around and the virus isn't spreading as quickly because of warmer western temperatures it shouldn't be a concern in September.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      Highly unlikely. I can see airshows over the next few months being affected, but by the time summer comes around and the virus isn't spreading as quickly because of warmer western temperatures it shouldn't be a concern in September.
      keep believing the hype.
      I live in the tropics. its always warm and hot here. In Rio and Sao Paulo its spreading like wildfire. Heat does not slow it down at all. Here it will be very serious. Our hospitals will collapse. I would expect RARA to be forced to make a decision soon to conserve money and cut costs. I would expect PRS to be cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
        its spreading like wildfire in australia also. Its summer there.
        The F1 race this weekend is about to be called off.

dont believe the MSM or the global hype.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
          its spreading like wildfire in australia also. Its summer there.
          The F1 race this weekend is about to be called off.

dont believe the MSM or the global hype.
          Does not look very positive at the moment: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Comment

Some of the pilots may have health issues from the virus.

My dad announced to me that he just passed his 1st class physical and is ready to step in and race......but only 3350 powered planes.

Comment

Jukka, The numbers on that page for Brazil are not accurate, the evening news listed the number of cases at over 4000, up from 39 a week ago.

Comment

Calm down, everyone. Calm down. It's exactly this kind of hysteria that feeds and fuels the panic.

How about we let the folks who know a ****load more than any of us, do what they're trained to do and go from there.

In 2009-2010 H1N1 began in the US and infected over 60 million (yeah...let that sink in) and killed over 12K people. No border shutdown, no travel bans, limited market tanking. We still raced...we're still here.

Let's just all chill, avoid the knee-jerk BS of the 24 hour MSM new cycle and let this play out.
                Last edited by Air Boss; 03-12-2020, 06:46 PM.
                Owen Ashurst
                Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Air Boss is right. Anyone remember that when the year 2000 came the whole world was going to collapse. No Water, gas & electric would be available. So everyone went out & bought 55 gallon drums for water & gas plus generators which a lot forgot they also run on gas. No Wi-Fi. Wow. Lots of garage sales for the first 6 months of 200. I knew one guy up in Oregon that bought 2 generators + 20 55 gal. drums that he still has stored, Take care. Calm Down.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
                    Calm down, everyone. Calm down. It's exactly this kind of hysteria that feeds and fuels the panic.

How about we let the folks who know a ****load more than any of us, do what they're trained to do and go from there.

In 2009-2010 H1N1 began in the US and infected over 60 million (yeah...let that sink in) and killed over 12K people. No border shutdown, no travel bans, limited market tanking. We still raced...we're still here.

Let's just all chill, avoid the knee-jerk BS of the 24 hour MSM new cycle and let this play out.
                    I do agree that people should calm downÂ… But it is also important to understand that the death rate for the 2009 outbreak of H1N1 which is a variation of influenza (which Covid-19 is not ) was a fraction in comparison to the current assessed death rate for Covid-19. There has now been a large enough case sample of Covid-19 patients to have a determinable death rate ( even with the variable of how many people have had it without being tested) to show cause for concern. With a death rate of 1.5 to 3.4 percent if the same number of people contract Covid- 19 as did H1N1 using the average of 2 percent it would mean the deaths of 1.2 million peopleÂ…They will be mostly the elderly and compromised , but you can bet youÂ’re gonna know somebody that loses their battle if this gets out of hand. Due to the fact that so many cases of Covid-19 require hospitalization it would be easy for it to overwhelm the medical community which is what makes this type of outbreak dangerous. Yes , we need to stay calm , but do not brush this off as the flu , it is most definitely NOT the flu. Not trying to antagonize anyone, I just want people to read and educate themselves.

Comment

Just saw the Los Angeles Air Show at Fox Field in southern California next weekend has been cancelled due to the corona virus concerns. Guess I won't be going to that one

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
                        Yes , we need to stay calm , but do not brush this off as the flu , it is most definitely NOT the flu. Not trying to antagonize anyone, I just want people to read and educate themselves.
                        And conversations about preventative steps are not panic. There needs to be - at least - enough conversation to invigorate preparedness and willingness to accept and adopt preemptive measures.

No, I'm not panicking. Yes, I am staying informed and being cautious. "Wait and see" will cost lives.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
                          I do agree that people should calm downÂ… But it is also important to understand that the death rate for the 2009 outbreak of H1N1 which is a variation of influenza (which Covid-19 is not ) was a fraction in comparison to the current assessed death rate for Covid-19. There has now been a large enough case sample of Covid-19 patients to have a determinable death rate ( even with the variable of how many people have had it without being tested) to show cause for concern. With a death rate of 1.5 to 3.4 percent if the same number of people contract Covid- 19 as did H1N1 using the average of 2 percent it would mean the deaths of 1.2 million peopleÂ…They will be mostly the elderly and compromised , but you can bet youÂ’re gonna know somebody that loses their battle if this gets out of hand. Due to the fact that so many cases of Covid-19 require hospitalization it would be easy for it to overwhelm the medical community which is what makes this type of outbreak dangerous. Yes , we need to stay calm , but do not brush this off as the flu , it is most definitely NOT the flu. Not trying to antagonize anyone, I just want people to read and educate themselves.
                          No question we all must be vigilant and do all those things our mom's told us to do. Proper hygiene, proper diet, wash your hands, etc. Not sure I agree 100% regarding the death rate as, at least in the US, the curve has been flattened because the testing process was a trainwreck out of the gate. It's really pathetic how the CDC rolled that out. Restricting testing to clinically referred made absolutely no sense...except that they knew full well they could not support mass testing on any scale. Lesson learned. Once sample size rises exponentially (hopefully soon!) and awareness/self-resolved/treatment rises as well, the death rate will drop. But whatever that percentage is, it doesn't matter one bit if it's someone you know and love.

My point about citing the H1N1 scenario was not to compare the disease, but to contrast the response and the impact on the event (Reno) itself. There is plenty of runway in front of us at this point. Let's keep our heads, follow the rules, make good choices, and I'm confident we'll gather once again in the high desert in June and September.
                          Owen Ashurst
                          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Beds are full here and people are showing up at urgent care clinics (that can't help them) thinking they will find a bed.

Comment

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
                              Beds are full here and people are showing up at urgent care clinics (that can't help them) thinking they will find a bed.
                              Yes MIT study shows that it can stay alive 3 hrs in the air..just hand washing isn't enough.

Italy is losing the game..over 17 000 infected and over 1200 dead. They will top China figures in a week or so.....and wear no face masks.

Updated total and statistics, graphs and charts tracking the total number of deaths, deaths per day, and death by country from the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) originating from Wuhan, China

Comment

Working...
                              X