Thunder mustang down newhall CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunder mustang down newhall CA

Thunder mustang down newhall and the 14 freeway prayers to the pilots family God speed and blue skies

Re: Thunder mustang down newhall CA

Very sad, I saw the news report they called the airplane a "homebuilt" had not idea that it was a Thunder.. very sad...
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Kathryn's Report has details on crash including N# & pilots name. Pilot stated he had engine problems & was going to have to put it down. Looks like he avoided the crowded Hwy 14 & tried for a grassy area. Blue Skies & Tailwinds.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

I will miss "Solo". His TM was quite stunning in that paint scheme. :-(

Comment

Gotta love the Falconer engine, killing pilots for more than 20 years now.

Comment

Gotta love the Falconer engine, killing pilots for more than 20 years now.
            I was just thinking about all the Thunder Mustangs have fallen out of the sky over the years. There can't be too many left.

Were all accidents engine related? Not counting racing incidents. Seems to me an engine out in a TM is usually fatal unless you happen to be over an airport at 10,000 ft.

Ironic that after all the failures that John Parker survived, it was a loose cooling hose that finally got him. God bless John. He brought us a lot of excitement over the years.

Comment

Looking at the NTSB data, 9 have crashed with 6 fatalities. FAA data base shows 22 built.

Comment

9 crashes out of 22 = 41%

That doesn't sound like good odds??
                Last edited by Desertdawg; 01-07-2020, 11:59 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I have lost a lot of friends in TMs.....as cool as they are firewall forward needs a lot of help!!!!After being invoved in a TM accident myself I made a personal rule not to get in another plane that requires 100% battery power to keep running !! no magneto(at least one)I don't go!!!with out going into to many details of the fatalities,all but 2 were motor related...
                  Jim Adams
                  Blue Thunder 2 crew
                  Picabo race 51 crew
                  Rapid Travel race 75 crew

Comment

Originally posted by rc38pilot View Post
                    I have lost a lot of friends in TMs.....as cool as they are firewall forward needs a lot of help!!!!After being invoved in a TM accident myself I made a personal rule not to get in another plane that requires 100% battery power to keep running !! no magneto(at least one)I don't go!!!with out going into to many details of the fatalities,all but 2 were motor related...

The less "luck" you need to fly the better.

My condolences to the fallen aviator's relatives and friends !

Comment

Originally posted by rc38pilot View Post
                      From what I have found out at our hanger the newer planes come with no mags. scary.

Comment

Wayne was a great guy. Flying with him in his S2-B was unforgettable. He will certainly be missed.

Comment

Working...
                        X