Thread: Thunderbird restoration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Thunderbird restoration

Hello everyone, My name is Warren Pietsch and I'm restoring a P-51C N5528N " Thunderbird" This aircraft won the 1949 Bendix and was involved in other record setting flights. I started this project about 15 years ago and am currently at a stage where I could use information to make sure my paint decisions are correct, for instance any pictures or knowledge that would tell me what color the wheel wells, inside of the gear doors, etc. were. Elevators could have been fabric or metal? Any information is appreciated. Warren

Default Re: Thunderbird restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbird N5528N View Post
    Hello everyone, My name is Warren Pietsch and I'm restoring a P-51C N5528N " Thunderbird" This aircraft won the 1949 Bendix and was involved in other record setting flights. I started this project about 15 years ago and am currently at a stage where I could use information to make sure my paint decisions are correct, for instance any pictures or knowledge that would tell me what color the wheel wells, inside of the gear doors, etc. were. Elevators could have been fabric or metal? Any information is appreciated. Warren
    This is awesome! Have never heard about this project. It will be airworthy I assume? Is it in the Dakota area?

If she's gonna be dressed as a racer we gotta see her in Reno one day! You are a certified race pilot now

Hope to hear more soon!
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

This is awesome news! Is this the same Mustang owned by Jimmy Stewart and then Jackie Cochran? I thought it was destroyed in the 1950's?

It feels like Lockheed Bob will know all about this.

Current choice on the Racing Modelers Group is TamiyaColor #TS-50 "Mica Blue".

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1028631820490934/
    Last edited by Lon Moer; 12-26-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Moer View Post
    Current choice on the Racing Modelers Group is TamiyaColor #TS-50 "Mica Blue".

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1028631820490934/
    HI ALL.......
    I SUGGESTED TO WARREN THAT THERE WERE A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS/PHOTOGS ON THIS WEBSITE AND I HOPED YOU OLD GUYS THAT LOVE THESE MACHINES COULD COME UP WITH SOME PICTURES THAT WOULD HELP HIM FIGURE OUT PAINT, SCHEMES, ETC. HOPEFULLY, THIS WILL REKINDLE SOME MEMORIES AND PICTURES THAT WERE POSSIBLY NEVER SEEN BEFORE. HE IS ONE NEAT GUY AND REALLY HOPE SOME OF YOU CAN HELP HIM. IF THIS MISSLE ACTUALLY GETS ON THE SITE.........I WILL TRY TO UPDATE YOU ON MY MACHINES THAT ARE SCATTERED ALL OVER THE SHOP.
    BEST OF NEW YEARS TO ALL. SEE YA AT RNO.
    DUSTY

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    HI ALL.......
    I SUGGESTED TO WARREN THAT THERE WERE A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS/PHOTOGS ON THIS WEBSITE AND I HOPED YOU OLD GUYS THAT LOVE THESE MACHINES COULD COME UP WITH SOME PICTURES THAT WOULD HELP HIM FIGURE OUT PAINT, SCHEMES, ETC. HOPEFULLY, THIS WILL REKINDLE SOME MEMORIES AND PICTURES THAT WERE POSSIBLY NEVER SEEN BEFORE. HE IS ONE NEAT GUY AND REALLY HOPE SOME OF YOU CAN HELP HIM. IF THIS MISSLE ACTUALLY GETS ON THE SITE.........I WILL TRY TO UPDATE YOU ON MY MACHINES THAT ARE SCATTERED ALL OVER THE SHOP.
    BEST OF NEW YEARS TO ALL. SEE YA AT RNO.
    DUSTY
    This is what I got in color
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civilMustang148a.jpg 
Views:	593 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	24519  
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

There are a lot of photos of Jimmy Stewart & Joe DeBona under the Jimmy Stewart history & mustangsmustangs page. Also under Jackie Cochran history.
    Lockheed Bob

No color pics, but interesting reading. "Thunderbird" is discussed in detail about half way through the article.

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/jimmy-stewart/

Did Jimmy Stewart have a logbook? Would be neat to look through it!