Thunderbird restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbird restoration

Hello everyone, My name is Warren Pietsch and I'm restoring a P-51C N5528N " Thunderbird" This aircraft won the 1949 Bendix and was involved in other record setting flights. I started this project about 15 years ago and am currently at a stage where I could use information to make sure my paint decisions are correct, for instance any pictures or knowledge that would tell me what color the wheel wells, inside of the gear doors, etc. were. Elevators could have been fabric or metal? Any information is appreciated. Warren

Re: Thunderbird restoration

Originally posted by Thunderbird N5528N View Post
    Hello everyone, My name is Warren Pietsch and I'm restoring a P-51C N5528N " Thunderbird" This aircraft won the 1949 Bendix and was involved in other record setting flights. I started this project about 15 years ago and am currently at a stage where I could use information to make sure my paint decisions are correct, for instance any pictures or knowledge that would tell me what color the wheel wells, inside of the gear doors, etc. were. Elevators could have been fabric or metal? Any information is appreciated. Warren
    This is awesome! Have never heard about this project. It will be airworthy I assume? Is it in the Dakota area?

If she's gonna be dressed as a racer we gotta see her in Reno one day! You are a certified race pilot now

Hope to hear more soon!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

This is awesome news! Is this the same Mustang owned by Jimmy Stewart and then Jackie Cochran? I thought it was destroyed in the 1950's?

It feels like Lockheed Bob will know all about this.

Comment

Current choice on the Racing Modelers Group is TamiyaColor #TS-50 "Mica Blue".

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1028631820490934/
        Last edited by Lon Moer; 12-26-2019, 07:18 PM.
        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
          Current choice on the Racing Modelers Group is TamiyaColor #TS-50 "Mica Blue".

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1028631820490934/
          HI ALL.......
          I SUGGESTED TO WARREN THAT THERE WERE A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS/PHOTOGS ON THIS WEBSITE AND I HOPED YOU OLD GUYS THAT LOVE THESE MACHINES COULD COME UP WITH SOME PICTURES THAT WOULD HELP HIM FIGURE OUT PAINT, SCHEMES, ETC. HOPEFULLY, THIS WILL REKINDLE SOME MEMORIES AND PICTURES THAT WERE POSSIBLY NEVER SEEN BEFORE. HE IS ONE NEAT GUY AND REALLY HOPE SOME OF YOU CAN HELP HIM. IF THIS MISSLE ACTUALLY GETS ON THE SITE.........I WILL TRY TO UPDATE YOU ON MY MACHINES THAT ARE SCATTERED ALL OVER THE SHOP.
          BEST OF NEW YEARS TO ALL. SEE YA AT RNO.
          DUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty View Post
            HI ALL.......
            I SUGGESTED TO WARREN THAT THERE WERE A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS/PHOTOGS ON THIS WEBSITE AND I HOPED YOU OLD GUYS THAT LOVE THESE MACHINES COULD COME UP WITH SOME PICTURES THAT WOULD HELP HIM FIGURE OUT PAINT, SCHEMES, ETC. HOPEFULLY, THIS WILL REKINDLE SOME MEMORIES AND PICTURES THAT WERE POSSIBLY NEVER SEEN BEFORE. HE IS ONE NEAT GUY AND REALLY HOPE SOME OF YOU CAN HELP HIM. IF THIS MISSLE ACTUALLY GETS ON THE SITE.........I WILL TRY TO UPDATE YOU ON MY MACHINES THAT ARE SCATTERED ALL OVER THE SHOP.
            BEST OF NEW YEARS TO ALL. SEE YA AT RNO.
            DUSTY
            This is what I got in color
            Attached Files
            remember the Oogahonk!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	post-1000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	229588

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                This is what I got in color
                LON........
                COOL PIX: LOOKS LIKE SILVER WHEELS( ALL THREE).......DARK CHROMATE INNER SPADE DOORS (?)....MAYBE YELLOW CHROMATE OR YELLOW INSIDE OF TAIL GEAR DOORS. WARREN NEEDS TO KNOW THE MLG WHEEL WELL COLORS IF POSSIBLE AS THAT IS THE FIRST THING TO BE PAINTED BEFORE PUTTING HYDRAULIC LINES AND ELECTRICAL IN.
                GREAT START TO HIS QUEST........ ;-))

Comment

There are a lot of photos of Jimmy Stewart & Joe DeBona under the Jimmy Stewart history & mustangsmustangs page. Also under Jackie Cochran history.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

Check this thread on WIX

Comment

Originally posted by sledge39 View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]24520[/ATTACH]
                      Attached Files
                      remember the Oogahonk!

Comment

From the WIX thread link;
                        This is the Author A. Kevin Grantham, who wrote the excellent "P-Screamers: The History of the Surviving Lockheed P-38 Lightnings "

Originally posted by P-Screamer
                        I can help. I have color slides. Please contact me at pscreamer@gmail.com.
                        remember the Oogahonk!

Comment

Comment

No color pics, but interesting reading. "Thunderbird" is discussed in detail about half way through the article.

Comment

Did Jimmy Stewart have a logbook? Would be neat to look through it!
                              Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X