Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Looking Ahead to 2021!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,925

    Default Looking Ahead to 2021!

    Thunderbirds confirmed
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: Looking Ahead to 2021!

    Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Thunderbirds confirmed
    AWESOME!!!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,925

    Default Re: Looking Ahead to 2021!

    And more importantly for 2020, the F-35A Demo!!! My new favorite demo!
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    706

    Default Re: Looking Ahead to 2021!

    Yep...all in all a good week for RARA.

    F35 in 2020 along with several other acts in the works
    TBirds in 2021 (be great if we could get them on bi-annual rotation!)
    Received the ICAS Gold Award for Civlian Shows

    Congrats to RARA for a good week at ICAS Convention here in Las Vegas. Well Done, All!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,925

    Default Re: Looking Ahead to 2021!

    Quote Originally Posted by Air Boss View Post
    Yep...all in all a good week for RARA.

    F35 in 2020 along with several other acts in the works
    TBirds in 2021 (be great if we could get them on bi-annual rotation!)
    Received the ICAS Gold Award for Civlian Shows

    Congrats to RARA for a good week at ICAS Convention here in Las Vegas. Well Done, All!
    Very proud of my favorite event!

    You guys should shoot for the Blues in Super Hornets for 2022!

    And any word on a Super Hornet demo alongside the F-35 this year?? If the rumors are true and we have the real demo back. I imagine you guys weren't too happy with the "LeGaCy DEmO" this past year
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    706

    Default Re: Looking Ahead to 2021!

    Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Very proud of my favorite event!

    You guys should shoot for the Blues in Super Hornets for 2022!

    And any word on a Super Hornet demo alongside the F-35 this year?? If the rumors are true and we have the real demo back. I imagine you guys weren't too happy with the "LeGaCy DEmO" this past year
    No word on that yet. The USAF F-35 is full on tactical demo. The USN F-35 is a performance demo at this point.

    Unfortunately there were numerous issues that impacted the air show component this year. Rob Holland's aircraft was "bumped" from it's return flight from France and so he could not attend. Mike Wiskus was weathered in and could not get out. To his credit, he called me and said he'd spoken with Jim Pietz and that Jim was available. I called JP and he was a Rock Star. He flew out from South Dakota thru some really horrible WX and arrived same day. Dude is one of a kind.

    Regarding the Legacy Demo, yeah, it was not what we'd wished for. The Legacy aircraft had a mechanical and could not attend. The F-18's did arrive, however; their operations manual (since revised) did not permit the two 18's to fly the "Heritage" profile without the Legacy aircraft. Thus, they were grounded and had to RTB.

    So, a perfect storm struck Reno in 2019 on the airshow side of the house.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,925

    Default Re: Looking Ahead to 2021!

    Quote Originally Posted by Air Boss View Post
    No word on that yet. The USAF F-35 is full on tactical demo. The USN F-35 is a performance demo at this point.

    Unfortunately there were numerous issues that impacted the air show component this year. Rob Holland's aircraft was "bumped" from it's return flight from France and so he could not attend. Mike Wiskus was weathered in and could not get out. To his credit, he called me and said he'd spoken with Jim Pietz and that Jim was available. I called JP and he was a Rock Star. He flew out from South Dakota thru some really horrible WX and arrived same day. Dude is one of a kind.

    Regarding the Legacy Demo, yeah, it was not what we'd wished for. The Legacy aircraft had a mechanical and could not attend. The F-18's did arrive, however; their operations manual (since revised) did not permit the two 18's to fly the "Heritage" profile without the Legacy aircraft. Thus, they were grounded and had to RTB.

    So, a perfect storm struck Reno in 2019 on the airshow side of the house.
    The Legacy Demo “protocol” was really weird. Similar to Reno, the Fury didn’t make Nellis because of the belly landing on the way there, but instead they allowed the Growler to do a “mini-demo” which was WAY better than the Legacy passes. Curious if that was a different scenario since it was a Growler rather than 122’s Super Hornet’s. Personally, a few high speed passes at Reno would’ve been way better than the demo they did on Friday before all the mechanical issues. Weird they don’t just allow that when there’s a mechanical failure on the warbird.
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    706

    Default Re: Looking Ahead to 2021!

    Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    The Legacy Demo “protocol” was really weird. Similar to Reno, the Fury didn’t make Nellis because of the belly landing on the way there, but instead they allowed the Growler to do a “mini-demo” which was WAY better than the Legacy passes. Curious if that was a different scenario since it was a Growler rather than 122’s Super Hornet’s. Personally, a few high speed passes at Reno would’ve been way better than the demo they did on Friday before all the mechanical issues. Weird they don’t just allow that when there’s a mechanical failure on the warbird.
    Just between you, me, and the fence post I suspect it was a bit more about the fact that the FAA's National Aviation Events Specialist from HQ was at Reno. Had a conversation with him after Thursday's "demo" and it was determined that their manual did not specifically permit flying the jets without the "Legacy" a/c, nor did their manual permit a single-ship, non-aerobatic "demo."

    I agree that killing a few dinosaurs in A/B would have been great and that was discussed but...

    So, they stood down and RTB next day. Bummer...but understandable. The Navy's Legacy manual has since been updated.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Owner - AIR BOSS ONE
    San Diego CA
    http://airbossone.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •