Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sport Class speed potential

Default Re: Sport Class speed potential

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    Once you get up into the unlimited gold speeds, don't you need something that looks like an unlimited racer?
    Yes, that's why they built Tsunami. Sport class racers won't get to fast Unlimited Gold speeds. Physics have an annoying tendency to be absolute, carrying enough fluids in an airframe capable of supporting an engine and its related systems and actually going 500 or even 450 mph in a race is impossible for a Sport class racer. You have to carry enough stuff to make BTU's and enough stuff to stifle the BTU's you made. The difference between 400, 450 and 500 is monumental and should not be discounted.

It is possible that the air cooled race engines are approaching their thermodynamic limit with the respect to heat rejection. Creating lots of horsepower creates a lot of heat and when race planes have to fill one wing with ADI in order to keep the engine from consuming itself during a race, you are pushing against the thermo limits. I'm sure that there are some very clever guys out there who will find a way to increase their race plane's ability to cool the engine but the improvements will more than likely be minor. John Parker showed that a liquid cooled engine can be competitive though the Falconer V12 has had its share of reliability issues. A properly designed supercharged or turbocharged liquid cooled V type engine can produce 1000 to 1200 HP at Reno's pressure altitude. It would interesting to see a Thunder Mustang with 1200 HP round the pylons some day.

Would an electric aircraft be allowed to compete is Sports Class ?
    If so what lap time would they be likely to get ?

If not is there any talk of having a class open to electric aircraft at Reno ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewartspony View Post
    It would interesting to see a Thunder Mustang with 1200 HP round the pylons some day.
    I thought one of the Thunder Mustangs was running 1000 hp+, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    I thought one of the Thunder Mustangs was running 1000 hp+, but I could be wrong.
    They tried to..

We do consider flutter. I think last year we were doing 450 down the VoS.
    The Legacies (stock and racers) have been dive and flutter tested to these kinds of speeds. And #30 got the tail wrapped with several more layers of carbon to stiffen the tail.

Also the original post mentions the class has stagnated over the last 10 years. I know it's been about that long since Sharp retired from racing, but it only "looks" like speeds have stagnated. Looking only at Jeff's speeds you might think he has gotten slower when he is actually getting faster. This all goes back to the course was different pre-ghost and the timing was different pre-2016 or whenever that was. You sort through all that goblety gook and you find there is still a progression.

But even more telling than looking at the top speed is the class average. Now I couldn't tell you what that is, because that's a lot of data, but qualifying is probably easiest to use.

Lastly, the potential speed of the class is something I don't really care about. I just care about being the fastest on Sunday. But that being said, as long as I come back from Reno with things I want to improve, the answer is, we can still go faster.
    And we are already working on stuff so I guarantee we can still go faster.
    "young" Thomas

Very fun thread. Thank you all for your varied insite.

So....What speeds could we expect if we ditched recips and used turbines? Cheaper in the long run, way more dependable=safer, no need for a large fluids cache, no adi.

I cant get the picture of Relentless with a fitted turboprop unit bending the pylons.

Just imagine the speed of a new purpose built Sport class turboprop! 500 does not seem out of reach?
    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by planecrazy2 View Post
    Very fun thread. Thank you all for your varied insite.

So....What speeds could we expect if we ditched recips and used turbines? Cheaper in the long run, way more dependable=safer, no need for a large fluids cache, no adi.

I cant get the picture of Relentless with a fitted turboprop unit bending the pylons.

Just imagine the speed of a new purpose built Sport class turboprop! 500 does not seem out of reach?
    Turbo props would provide all the entertainment of the jet class. ZZZzzzzzzzz

I think last year we were doing 450 down the VoS.
    If you are going 450 in VoS to post a 40x race speed, a 450 race speed becomes all the more daunting.

Looking only at Jeff's speeds you might think he has gotten slower when he is actually getting faster.
    I neglected to take into account the post Ghost course changes. My bad.

Thanks for the info.

GP

Quote Originally Posted by CubersWrist View Post
    We do consider flutter. I think last year we were doing 450 down the VoS.
    Any thoughts of going for the 3k in class? I'd love to see you guys smoke some of Sharp's records.