Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Kincade Fire air tankers and helicopters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Kincade Fire air tankers and helicopters.

Since the north bay area was on fire, I figured I should go air tanker hunting. I scored up in Middletown. I didn't see the GST 747 make any drops (kept getting up there as it made its last drop and was going home for the day.) but I did catch the DC10s doing their thing, and one of Neptune Aviation's BAE 146s making a drop front and center. I also caught the former Aero Union P3 Orion T23 on the fire, but didn't see a drop (was always 5 minutes too late, two days in a row.)

The new Coulson C130 had the last drop of the afternoon on tuesday, unfortunately it was on the other side of the mountain.

Wednesday I had been watching Flight Radar 24 for most of the day while at work, the action was still in Middletown, so what the heck, I'll make another run up there.
    Once again I missed T23 making a drop, he was headed home for the day.

The original plan was to shoot from the spot where I was on Tuesday, but once I was there, I could see they were dropping further up the canyon, and there was no one saying I couldn't head up the dirt road... About 2 miles up the road started to climb up the side of the canyon, and I found the spot to be.
    OV10 Lead 505 had Neptune Aviation's T41 in tow, and they were lining up to drop in the canyon...

The drop by T41 was the last drop by a tanker of the afternoon. The Skycranes however were working late.

I should have taken Wednesday off work and just camped out up there.

Will
    Last edited by RAD2LTR; 11-03-2019, 12:14 PM. Reason: trying to fix pic images.

Re: OT: Kincade Fire air tankers and helicopters.

Hmmm, apparently all my image links died. Not sure why Google photos does this. Fail.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      Hmmm, apparently all my image links died. Not sure why Google photos does this. Fail.

Will
      They did indeed! In my email digest, there's a bunch of links but when I click on them, it just brings up a page with a minus symbol. Upload them here if you want...
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
        They did indeed! In my email digest, there's a bunch of links but when I click on them, it just brings up a page with a minus symbol. Upload them here if you want...
        I'd love to upload them here, but average size of the files is about 10mb (One is 18mb!)

I'll just like the low res/compressed versions from faceplant.

Will

Comment

Image link test... Will this vanish?

Will

Comment

Interestingly, I'm now seeing all of your originally posted images "inline" how you did them with the image call..

Anyone else seeing or not seeing the "inline" (show in post rather than linked thumbnail) images in the original post??
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I also viewed the post as a not logged in visitor to the board, still saw the images. Guess you impressed them and they decided to step outta the way and let your images shine!

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

..ahhhh additionally, the links that were in my original email notification of the post that were bringing up the minus image, now link to the full size image, or, at least, a larger version than displayed on the forum. I'm betting that they are, wisely, exercising a bit of caution with posted images which are then directly linked to another location. Really, a good idea! Just glad that we can now live vicariously through your photos!

What an adventure!

I wonder if Diatapper is flying third seat In the 747 Global Super Tanker? He's been doing double duty flying Sofia for NASA and on the GST down at the South America fires.. DT.. are ya out there?? Hope you're staying well!

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I liked the pics from facebook. My attempt to link from google again (attempted to open in a separate page and link that.) seems to have again failed. This leads me to think that there is no way to link from google. So much for finding a replacement for Flickr. Back to the drawing board.

I saw the GST twice, and missed the chance to shoot it twice. Missed by 20 min both times. I caught them leaving both times.

Will
                  Last edited by RAD2LTR; 11-02-2019, 11:39 PM.

Comment

The link below is copied from the original email notification sent by the message board software, it now a valid link to that image!

I'm wondering if you're not seeing images now, could you be stuck in a "cached" page thing? If so, try hitting the control key while also hitting the refresh loop link on your browser, or... whatever key they now have assigned to what was F5 (my laptop makes me go through some two key BS to make it happen! )

Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Tried the control reload trick, still can't see the image I posted in reply #5. I can see the one of the P3 in your last message, but not the image in post #5 (I don't even remember what image it was, might have been the P3.)

I've run into this issue a few times when I have tried to link pics from google photos. The odd thing is, sometimes they work. (I wonder if its because its in an album that it doesn't work? )

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                        Image link test... Will this vanish?

Will
                        I can see all of the post images, with the exception of this one.. I get the - symbol...
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                          I can see all of the post images, with the exception of this one.. I get the - symbol...
                          Yes, because I linked all the currently showing pics from facebook rather than google photos. I edited the whole post to use the images hosted on FB, rather than the ones that I originally had that were linked from GP. The one that you can't see is linked from google photo.

Will

Comment

Very cool shots. Of course, very unfortunate that fires are raging that necessitate such actions. But, great captures of brave pilots and crews doing a good job.
                            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
                            X