Cost to overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost to overhaul

Just wondering if anyone knows the going rate for the various engine overhauls today?
    Inlines and the large radials.

Re: Cost to overhaul

Originally posted by Exhaustgases View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knows the going rate for the various engine overhauls today?
    I would wager it's around $100k-$200k for radials and $200k-$300k for Merlins. Not sure where Allisons fall probably $150k-$200k..?
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I've heard, Merlins are around $125,000. I just saw a picture last of a "NEW" 2800 being ready for install on an A-16 (forget the name of the plane) I didn't know any "NEW" big radials were around anymore.

Comment

It always comes down to "Parts and Labor"

How bad is your engine and how many "parts" is it going to need and how much "labor" is it going to take to refurbish/install/assemble the parts.

Here are Vintage V-12's;

- Frequently Asked Questions

- Get a Quote - radials at the bottom.
        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Of course condition and parts needed. Just looking for the general cost. I think it was covington that does R985 and R1340s
          and is around 50k cost. I can guess at costs too. Just wondering if someone knew for sure for 2800 and 3350.

Comment

apples to oranges, but.....

My Biplane's Lycoming O-360 was overhauled in 2018, right before the '18 races. This doesn't include $1,200 in hoses and an $800 oil cooler

$27,713
            Biplane Race #3

Comment

Originally posted by flyboycpa View Post
              apples to oranges, but.....

My Biplane's Lycoming O-360 was overhauled in 2018, right before the '18 races. This doesn't include $1,200 in hoses and an $800 oil cooler

$27,713
              Boy, that sure puts it in perspective FBCPA! Just to be clear, we're not talking a 3350 or Merlin rebuild.. that is quite a chunk of change my friends!

Just another reason to say thanks to everyone who races!! Wish there were a way to get major or frik…. at least, minor sponsors for stuff l like engines!!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Exhaustgases View Post

R-3350 Composite B-29 engine that went 479.088 in '09 was only $283,000 outright. Only got second place, Big Boss not happy!

Comment

Working...
                X