P-51 Mustang with c-130j 8 blade prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-51 Mustang with c-130j 8 blade prop

I saw a picture of a P-51 Mustang with a c-130j turboprop on it eight blades I think I'm wondering what kind of performance it did with that prop on there or did it have any at all and was there enough engine to turn it at full tilt

Re: P-51 Mustang with c-130j 8 blade prop

I *think* you are talking about one of the Thunder Mustangs in the Sport Division..??

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by h34race View Post
      I saw a picture of a P-51 Mustang with a c-130j turboprop on it eight blades I think I'm wondering what kind of performance it did with that prop on there or did it have any at all and was there enough engine to turn it at full tilt
      No such thing has ever been built. You probably saw the Sport Class Thunder Mustang with the 5 blade prop.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
        No such thing has ever been built. You probably saw the Sport Class Thunder Mustang with the 5 blade prop.
        No sir that is not the plane I saw it hanging on pretty sure it was a C-130 at least six blades they put on the J model I think it is and it was fully thrust adjustable it was on a full-size Mustang Aviation Rex and Relics had it on their website and I couldn't get any other information on it that's why I was asking that it work and do they have any performance that prop is too small on that plane in the plane is not a full size Mustang I wish I could find the stupid picture again

Comment

Maybe...

A five-blade Rotol prop was test-flown on the XP-51G. Bob Chilton said it had a destabilizing effect. Thirty-seven flight were made with the five-blade. The XP-51G reportedly achieved 498 mph, but I am not certain that was with the five-blade.
          https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...ang-photograph

The same type of five-blade prop made an appearance at Reno pulling the Whittington's P-51H. The standard four-blade was later installed.
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/12609305@N08/4409343125
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

A Merlin or Allison-powered P-51 would not be operable with the propeller setup from a C-130J as the prop control system as well as the hub/spline are not compatible with each other.

Re-propped aircraft are a difficult beast. The Whittington's were able to run the XP-51G 5-blade prop on their H model back in 1983 because the G and H had the same engine/prop control setup in common. The three Griffon racers have run opposing three blade setups (six blades total), but those were prop setups that came with the Griffon engine as a combo. Even the various Mustangs that have been re-engine with turbines ran a propeller setup that was designed FOR that engine.

Its one thing to put a different blade into a compatible hub (like how a Mustang can run various Ham Std and Aero Product blades), but its still the same number of blades on the hub. A couple of P-39s were able to upgrade to P-63 paddle blade set-ups, but that was because they had airframe/systems in common thanks to Bell. The engineering nightmare that the Rare Bear went through to create the three-blade hub with the P-3 blades was a rare successful exception.

I can't see a complex turboprop propeller fitting/interacting/working with a Merlin without a metric sh*t-tonne of dollars and engineering to test and make work. That being said, I would VERY much like to see a photo of this aircraft that you bring up. A thorough search of the interwebs turns up absolutely nothing of the sort.

Comment

I've been trying hard to find what it is you may have seen a picture of ...

Did it look like this?

Chris

Comment

Dowty makes them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowty_Propellers

Comment

There was the "Skyprop" back in the late '80's or early 90's. 4-blade.

Comment

Originally posted by h34race View Post
                    This thread sure died a quick death with not much follow up....

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A0F21C71-C67E-46C0-A8CC-E28001FCB0A3.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	568.8 KB
ID:	229572Maybe thinking about Precious Metal starting 2012 after the prop tip were profiled?
                      Last edited by phoneguy; 10-22-2019, 05:34 PM.

Comment

XP-51G had a 5 blade Rotol at one point....

Pic from NASM:

https://airandspace.si.edu/sites/def...SI-94-4462.jpg

Article here:
                        https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...ang-photograph
                        Last edited by L.E.D.; 10-22-2019, 05:30 PM.

Comment

There have been a couple of Mustangs with 6-bladed props......

Click image for larger version

Name:	RB-51Lc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	229573
                          remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Okay I found a picture of the prop I thought was on the front of a P-51 closest thing I could find to it it's obviously not off ac-130j turboprop model but it sure is close to what I saw I'm trying to add a picture forgive me if I get it wrong
                            Attached Files

Comment

I added to it I think I found the aviation place that had the P-51 with this prop on it I think best bottle of vodka do I went looking for it and couldn't find it again but this is the prop I think I saw on a P-51

Comment

Working...
                              X