Miss America Brent "Doc" Hisey: RENO 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Miss America Brent "Doc" Hisey: RENO 2019

A few of my Miss America shots from this year. i have more, but I need to get them processed.

A big thanks to the team for bringing Miss America back. I look forward to seeing you guys racing next year.

Will

Comment

From 2018.
      Attached Files
      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Re: Photo Tribute: Miss America Brent "Doc" Hisey - Post Your Photos!

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
        ... I'd love to see old stuff, new stuff, really old ... just anything Miss America related!
        ...really old "Miss-A"... Mojave '73...

...including previous 9-23 post so they will all be in the same place...

Click image for larger version

Name:	SFW-2019-C74-7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	229522Click image for larger version

Name:	SFW-2019-C73-23.jpg
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	229523Click image for larger version

Name:	SFW-2019-C73-20.jpg
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	229524Click image for larger version

Name:	SFW-2019-C71-23.jpg
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	229525

Comment

Another from 2019

Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

[QUOTE=sledge39;139170]...really old "Miss-A"... Mojave '73...

Cox and Revell. I bet I’m not the only one here whose hard-earned lawn mowing money ended up with them.

Comment

[QUOTE=88SC;139207][QUOTE=sledge39;139170]...really old "Miss-A"... Mojave '73...

Cox and Revell. I bet I’m not the only one here whose hard-earned lawn mowing money ended up with them.[/QU

I spent so much money on model airplanes. Speaking of Revell, I find that very few stores sell model kits.

Comment

[QUOTE=Reever;139209][QUOTE=88SC;139207]
                Originally posted by sledge39 View Post
                ...really old "Miss-A"... Mojave '73...

Cox and Revell. I bet I’m not the only one here whose hard-earned lawn mowing money ended up with them.[/QU
                stores sell model kits.
                I spent so much money on model airplanes. Speaking of Revell, I find that very few

After the Sunday race, I was thinking to myself that Miss America looked a bit like a Cox engine powered model... Oil covered airframe after a 5 minute run.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                  I spent so much money on model airplanes. Speaking of Revell, I find that very few stores sell model kits.
                  Down to Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Hobbytown USA. And online sales. Too bad that an activity that was nearly a rite of passage for earlier generations has faded. My own interest in airplanes (and racing!) can be traced to model building, and obviously I’m not the only one.

Name:	12658387-2320-4413-8C32-CB6615EAC9E8.jpeg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	229567
                  Last edited by 88SC; 10-02-2019, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 88SC View Post
                    Down to Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Hobbytown USA. And online sales. Too bad that an activity that was nearly a rite of passage for earlier generations has faded. My own interest in airplanes (and racing!) can be traced to model building, and obviously I’m not the only one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24491[/ATTACH]
                    I've pondered this for years.. I know kids are fascinated by airplanes, pretty much of any kind; I love seeing kids enjoying the event with their parents but how can we get more?
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by 88SC View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24491[/ATTACH]
                      I remember that kit. I spent quite a bit chopping up the Hasegawa 1/32 Mustang kit into racers.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                        I've pondered this for years.. I know kids are fascinated by airplanes, pretty much of any kind; I love seeing kids enjoying the event with their parents but how can we get more?
                        Wayne, back in the day was the field filled with kids? Asking this because it seems like RARA and the local school system has been doing a pretty good job of getting at least a handful of kids interested. There's also the parents like in Dawg's thread that bring their kids to Reno to get them hooked. That's what my dad did with me and I'll do the same with my kids. A lot of it is up to the parents! Those parents out there that aren't going to Reno (and hence not bringing their kids) because Strega, Voodoo, Rare Bear aren't there are REALLY hurting the sport. Just off the top of my head, kids love talking to guys like Kevin Eldredge and Andy. Even if some of these "downer" parents aren't happy that there aren't the Unlimiteds that they grew up seeing, getting kids hooked on Sport Class, Jet Class, F1's, etc. gets them in the gate and starts the cycle of following Reno and coming every year.
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                          Wayne, back in the day was the field filled with kids? Asking this because it seems like RARA and the local school system has been doing a pretty good job of getting at least a handful of kids interested. There's also the parents like in Dawg's thread that bring their kids to Reno to get them hooked. That's what my dad did with me and I'll do the same with my kids. A lot of it is up to the parents! Those parents out there that aren't going to Reno (and hence not bringing their kids) because Strega, Voodoo, Rare Bear aren't there are REALLY hurting the sport. Just off the top of my head, kids love talking to guys like Kevin Eldredge and Andy. Even if some of these "downer" parents aren't happy that there aren't the Unlimiteds that they grew up seeing, getting kids hooked on Sport Class, Jet Class, F1's, etc. gets them in the gate and starts the cycle of following Reno and coming every year.
                          Thanks to Paul Guillow we can still teach them about aerodynamics via rubber band power, just like me 55 years ago.

Name:	IMG_1970.jpg
Size:	554.9 KB
ID:	229568]
                          Last edited by Desertdawg; 10-03-2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

It seemed like the school kids were EVERYWHERE this year, the most kids on the most days I have ever seen. The "Bad Boys of Air Racing" (I hate that term BTW) do draw them in a bit, but most locals I talk to are more interested in the big jet teams and military presence than other things. Also, though the advertising has grown a bit in the last few years most don't know what goes on out there and are surprised when I describe it.

I know they need to make money and comparatively it isn't that expensive BUT getting people that only have a passing interest in aviation to shell out for tickets, parking, pit passes, food and probably a toy, shirt, etc. or two is a lot harder than getting them to an Aces game. There are so many cheaper diversions around here.

Even for a die-hard it is an expensive proposition that we save for all year.
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                              I actually had general aviation altogether in my mind when I wrote that.

You are correct that RARA and the local school districts do a bang up job of getting the local kids out there. Bigger picture is how to make air racing something that's far more recognized world wide.. I grew up down there and there was little mention (none) in school of what was going on out there in '64. I knew about it due to the activity at Reno Municipal. Anyway, it'd be really cool if there was a Discovery/Smithsonian type show where they followed an air race team through the year of preparation, flight tests, they could make it interesting, then race week season finale..

Aww crap, I'm getting too old to spend much time with this sort of dreaming!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

You've said this before Wayne and I still think it's a great idea!
                                It would be MUCH more interesting than so much of the crud that is on TV nowadays. Everything seems to be about watching someone else live their lives instead of living our own.
                                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                                X