No announcement yet.

Miss America Brent "Doc" Hisey: RENO 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo Tribute: Miss America Brent "Doc" Hisey - Post Your Photos!

Originally posted by brent hisey View Post
    It looks like a piston/rod broke and poked through the case.
    My first thought when I read the paragraph was a hole in the block and I was curious if that is repairable or not. Then I reread and it said case which puts a different light on it. Can I assume that means the crank case?

Anybody, can a hole in the lower block be repaired or do they become a living room coffee table? I recall I believe it was Ridge Runner had a rod that let go with a resulting hole in the lower block wall. Anybody know what happen to that engine after the races?

Comment

One from 2010

I've been able to find some of my archives!! Here's one from 2010
      Attached Files
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Glad to have Dr. Hisey and Miss America back this year, it's always a favorite no matter where whe runs but to have her in the mix for that last race on Sunday is sure special! Here are a couple photos from Tuesday 9/10. Already looking forward to 2020!

Miss America is back!

Sunlight!

Regards to all...

Kenny

Comment

Re: Miss America Brent "Doc" Hisey: RENO 2019

It was not planned, but we appreciate the night run.

P-51 Mustang Miss America performing an engine run after the crew performed some maintenance early in the week at the National Championship Air Races.
          Attached Files

Comment

That is really sweet Tim!

Was the lighting courtesy of the light gods or did you set it up?

Thanks for sharing!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I just went back and looked at that image, it's priceless! I love it!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by JMS View Post
                My first thought when I read the paragraph was a hole in the block and I was curious if that is repairable or not. Then I reread and it said case which puts a different light on it. Can I assume that means the crank case?

Anybody, can a hole in the lower block be repaired or do they become a living room coffee table? I recall I believe it was Ridge Runner had a rod that let go with a resulting hole in the lower block wall. Anybody know what happen to that engine after the races?
                Anything can be "repaired", but depending on what was taken out or damaged when the block/case was windowed will determine future use. A few individuals have made good livings just by repairing busted or blown up drag racing blocks. We've repaired both cast iron and aluminum sprint car blocks that have returned to race without issue. Are the Merlin cases aluminum, magnesium, or a combo?
                Maybe someone will post pics of Miss A's engine aftermath.
                Per Mr. Hisey's post, he uses a builder other then Vintage? What about the machining? How many shops are still left rebuilding/machining V-12s?
                Thanks!

Comment

I can't describe how much I appreciate the pilots sharing their stories on this site. Thank you Dr. Hisey! And thanks so much for bringing Miss America to race. I look forward to seeing you at Reno 2020.

Comment

Doc, Greg, Scotty and TEAM - thank you so much for a taste of a Red White & Blue Victory Climb-Out...with pealing tape and all!!! : ) Incredible 11, love the mods that we can see and more-over the ones we cannot. Best wishes and so glad to watch online a safe recovery...and the Stocker in and running! Respectfully, Mitch et al

Comment

Next year sell some T-shirts and such. Every year we visits Sawbones pit, they always offer a great choice of colors and even kids and toddlers shirts.

I would gladly buy some Miss A stuff every year.

A Red, White & Blue Miss A would sell well.

Long and short sleeve Ts with pockets :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                        Next year sell some T-shirts and such. Every year we visits Sawbones pit, they always offer a great choice of colors and even kids and toddlers shirts.
                        It takes an amazing amount of effort and not a small amount of up front cash to make a team shirt/merchandise program actually happen.

Over the years, various entities have tried to do this for the teams, thus far, to my knowledge, no one has really pulled it off.
                        Really too bad because some of the team merchandise over the years has been priceless!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                          Okay, I'll play.
                          I haven't cleaned these up yet and a couple are from last year.
                          I'd actually like to see a LOT of old stuff! With all my electron pushing, I've never digitized my old fan in the stands 110 stills and later, a lot of Hi8.

I digress! I'd love to see old stuff, new stuff, really old... just anything Miss America related!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Really appreciate the Miss A team engaging the public and pushing for the win when they could have coasted to second. The teams are what makes Reno great.

On the subject of shirts, Custom Ink has a very cool fundraising feature. Basically everyone pre-orders a shirt and all profits go to the fundraiser. So long as you meet the minimum order there is no cost or risk to the team and you aren’t left with extra inventory afterwards. We raised enough money last year on hoodies to help with crew travel expenses.

Another option (and this was discussed earlier this year with the so-called RARA tax) is to have a shirt supplier like Dan Angelo be an official member of the team. Then he sells most if not all his Miss A sirts through the pits like Sawbones does. Valley of Speed stills sells shirts. He is officially a “team member” and the teams don’t pay RARA anything like regular vendors do so that extra difference goes to the team. That would be low effort for the Miss A team (or any team) because now they don’t even have to design or print or sell the shirts.
                            Last edited by CubersWrist; 09-25-2019, 03:33 AM.
                            "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Something special about buying merchandise pit side directly from the team. A lot of teams have done this, Dago, Rare Bear, Strega, VooDoo, Precious Metal, Sawbones, etc.

The really good designs become classics and have a special place in my closet and worn only on special occasions.

Just to name a few, Rare Bear black long sleeve, Dago red red long sleeve, the Precious metals Ts in high impact colors purple, blue & yellow, Pole Dancer, Strega Ts, and lots of Sawbones T shirts. My son still has a red Dago hoodie that he wears on special occasions. Wish I would have bought one.

Comment

I have been thinking of merchandise for Miss A for a couple years, wishing I could get some stuff.

I would be willing to help set something up, if the team was interested in trying it.

Comment

Working...
                                X