Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Miss America Brent "Doc" Hisey: RENO 2019

Default Re: Photo Tribute: Miss America Brent "Doc" Hisey - Post Your Photos!

This being my year 43 at Reno Plus Cleveland in the 40's I was cheering for "Doc" Hisey in "Miss America". Thanks for your great effort this year.
    Lockheed Bob

Quote Originally Posted by brent hisey View Post
    I wanted to take a moment and express my appreciation to all the fans at Reno for the support we have been given throughout the years. When we decided to come back in 2018, I was overwhelmed by the support given to Miss A but this year was amazing! The love and support of this airplane means so much to me and the Miss A crew and we can't express enough appreciation for your caring.
    I began racing at Reno in 1995 and each year we have tried to have a specific goal in mind, initially it was survival, then win the bronze, win the silver, and finally to compete in the gold class. This year was unique, in that it was the first time we came to Reno with the goal of winning the gold. To beat Dreadnaught, Sawbones, and the rest, was not a task we took lightly in that we had never come close to beating Dreadnaught. In the off season, several modifications to the airframe were done, thanks to the help of Dan Martin, Thom Richards, and my incredible crew led by Greg and Scotty Butler. Our engine builder, Rick Schanholzer, built a very strong engine which we felt could do around 110 inches, which coupled with the airframe changes, was hoped to get us to victory.
    The flight out to Reno was uneventful and qualifying went well but checking the screens after showed what was initially thought to show bearing metal. We were in the process of putting the stock engine back in, when they found broken pads from the fingers which accounted for the metal. We made the decision to replace the fingers and keep the race engine operational and still go all out. Friday and Saturday's race went well and we were where we wanted to be on Sunday next to Dreadnaught. I did not think I could run all out for three days straight. Sunday started well but I was taken back a little when the pace plane went down but Dennis did a great job of getting us to the start. I started with full RPM and throttle but it was not enough to get around Dreadnaught so I dropped into second and kept at full power hoping to catch her or be close enough if she had a problem. I thought about pulling back the throttle to save the engine but in the heat of battle, I didn't. All was going well, I felt I might have been gaining a little, everything felt smooth until after pylon 6, i saw a puff of smoke and felt a little shake and I new it was over. As Tiger always preached, I climbed to gear speed and downwind to 14. It was shaking pretty bad by touchdown but otherwise uneventful. It looks like a piston/rod broke and poked through the case.
    This obviously was a setback for us but we are determined to be back for 2020 in some form, whether as a full race plane or stock is yet to be determined. I am honored to get to fly with such great pilots,and I am humbled each year I get to be in their ranks. I hope this post has some value and provides some insight into our 2019 effort.

Brent Hisey
    Now this is exactly what many of us here on aafo have been saying we need more of. Thank you Brent so much for taking the time to post your 2019 story here. I've always been fond of Miss A, but in the "new era" of Unlimiteds we are currently a part of, I've taken an extreme loving to her. This is the first time I've actually followed the mods being done to a racer and am able to understand the effects of them. It is beyond cool that Miss A now has some of the ultimate super-stocker Ridge Runner mods on her. For me personally the 2018 and 2019 Unlimited class has only been entertaining because of Miss A's return, and I can't thank you and the team enough for that. I hope you guys can finally take the well-deserved Gold next year!!! I'll be cheering you on as usual
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Thumbs up Re: Photo Tribute: Miss America Brent "Doc" Hisey - Post Your Photos!

I hope this post has some value and provides some insight into our 2019 effort.

Brent Hisey
    Can't thank you enough Brent! The occasional visit by pilots and crews in the various classes have always made this place what it is! Not only do we get to enjoy watching your effort this year, you stop by The Hangar and tell us about it...

THANK YOU!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Miss America has always been special. Over the years she has captured a lot of peoples attention.

Thank you and the entire Miss America team for returning to Reno.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HWR_0444 (1).jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	933.5 KB 
ID:	24417
    Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-23-2019 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post
    Miss America has always been special. Over the years she has capture(d) a lot of peoples attention.
    ...some "Miss A" history...back in the day...

...Howie at Mojave...21 October 1973...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SFW-2019-C73-23.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	395.5 KB 
ID:	24418

It looks like a piston/rod broke and poked through the case.
    My first thought when I read the paragraph was a hole in the block and I was curious if that is repairable or not. Then I reread and it said case which puts a different light on it. Can I assume that means the crank case?

Anybody, can a hole in the lower block be repaired or do they become a living room coffee table? I recall I believe it was Ridge Runner had a rod that let go with a resulting hole in the lower block wall. Anybody know what happen to that engine after the races?

Default One from 2010

I've been able to find some of my archives!! Here's one from 2010
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WAS_9289_2010.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	302.7 KB 
ID:	24419  
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

In the middle of a cornfield in Indiana (Anderson)

Glad to have Dr. Hisey and Miss America back this year, it's always a favorite no matter where whe runs but to have her in the mix for that last race on Sunday is sure special! Here are a couple photos from Tuesday 9/10. Already looking forward to 2020!

Miss America is back!

Sunlight!

Regards to all...

Kenny

Default Re: Miss America Brent "Doc" Hisey: RENO 2019

It was not planned, but we appreciate the night run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in6v9qCOYVI
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3627 P-51 Mustang Miss America.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	452.3 KB 
ID:	24420  

Default Re: Miss America Brent "Doc" Hisey: RENO 2019

That is really sweet Tim!

Was the lighting courtesy of the light gods or did you set it up?

Thanks for sharing!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"