Miss America Brent "Doc" Hisey: RENO 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss America Brent "Doc" Hisey: RENO 2019

How many of you think it was pretty darn cool that Brent "Doc" Hisey brought a race prepped Miss America to the 2019 STIHL National Championship Air Races?

Do you know that the two oldest Reno National Championship Air Races competitors were on the ramp this year at the reno air races?

OK... enough search engine textual tempters!

Show "Doc" Hisey and his crew your appreciation.. POST YOUR PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Photo Tribute: Miss America Brent "Doc" Hisey - Post Your Photos!

Okay, I'll play.
    I haven't cleaned these up yet and a couple are from last year.
    Attached Files
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Let's see how this photo upload works... All from this year.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by W J Pearce; 09-19-2019, 09:07 PM.
      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Workin' on our night moves.....
        Attached Files

Comment

A big thanks to Doc Hisey and crew for bringing out Miss-A this year! I'm sorry that it didn't turn out the way everyone hoped, but that's racing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0865-X2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	229504

Comment

I'm going to "ping" this post to get it up to the top again.. There's really good reason for the photo request, so... KEEP EM COMIN'!!!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I wanted to take a moment and express my appreciation to all the fans at Reno for the support we have been given throughout the years. When we decided to come back in 2018, I was overwhelmed by the support given to Miss A but this year was amazing! The love and support of this airplane means so much to me and the Miss A crew and we can't express enough appreciation for your caring.

I began racing at Reno in 1995 and each year we have tried to have a specific goal in mind, initially it was survival, then win the bronze, win the silver, and finally to compete in the gold class. This year was unique, in that it was the first time we came to Reno with the goal of winning the gold. To beat Dreadnaught, Sawbones, and the rest, was not a task we took lightly in that we had never come close to beating Dreadnaught. In the off season, several modifications to the airframe were done, thanks to the help of Dan Martin, Thom Richards, and my incredible crew led by Greg and Scotty Butler. Our engine builder, Rick Schanholzer, built a very strong engine which we felt could do around 110 inches, which coupled with the airframe changes, was hoped to get us to victory.

The flight out to Reno was uneventful and qualifying went well but checking the screens after showed what was initially thought to show bearing metal. We were in the process of putting the stock engine back in, when they found broken pads from the fingers which accounted for the metal. We made the decision to replace the fingers and keep the race engine operational and still go all out. Friday and Saturday's race went well and we were where we wanted to be on Sunday next to Dreadnaught. I did not think I could run all out for three days straight. Sunday started well but I was taken back a little when the pace plane went down but Dennis did a great job of getting us to the start. I started with full RPM and throttle but it was not enough to get around Dreadnaught so I dropped into second and kept at full power hoping to catch her or be close enough if she had a problem. I thought about pulling back the throttle to save the engine but in the heat of battle, I didn't. All was going well, I felt I might have been gaining a little, everything felt smooth until after pylon 6, i saw a puff of smoke and felt a little shake and I new it was over. As Tiger always preached, I climbed to gear speed and downwind to 14. It was shaking pretty bad by touchdown but otherwise uneventful. It looks like a piston/rod broke and poked through the case.

This obviously was a setback for us but we are determined to be back for 2020 in some form, whether as a full race plane or stock is yet to be determined. I am honored to get to fly with such great pilots,and I am humbled each year I get to be in their ranks. I hope this post has some value and provides some insight into our 2019 effort.

Brent Hisey

Comment

Originally posted by brent hisey View Post
                I wanted to take a moment and express my appreciation to all the fans at Reno for the support we have been given throughout the years. When we decided to come back in 2018, I was overwhelmed by the support given to Miss A but this year was amazing! The love and support of this airplane means so much to me and the Miss A crew and we can't express enough appreciation for your caring.
                I began racing at Reno in 1995 and each year we have tried to have a specific goal in mind, initially it was survival, then win the bronze, win the silver, and finally to compete in the gold class. This year was unique, in that it was the first time we came to Reno with the goal of winning the gold. To beat Dreadnaught, Sawbones, and the rest, was not a task we took lightly in that we had never come close to beating Dreadnaught. In the off season, several modifications to the airframe were done, thanks to the help of Dan Martin, Thom Richards, and my incredible crew led by Greg and Scotty Butler. Our engine builder, Rick Schanholzer, built a very strong engine which we felt could do around 110 inches, which coupled with the airframe changes, was hoped to get us to victory.
                The flight out to Reno was uneventful and qualifying went well but checking the screens after showed what was initially thought to show bearing metal. We were in the process of putting the stock engine back in, when they found broken pads from the fingers which accounted for the metal. We made the decision to replace the fingers and keep the race engine operational and still go all out. Friday and Saturday's race went well and we were where we wanted to be on Sunday next to Dreadnaught. I did not think I could run all out for three days straight. Sunday started well but I was taken back a little when the pace plane went down but Dennis did a great job of getting us to the start. I started with full RPM and throttle but it was not enough to get around Dreadnaught so I dropped into second and kept at full power hoping to catch her or be close enough if she had a problem. I thought about pulling back the throttle to save the engine but in the heat of battle, I didn't. All was going well, I felt I might have been gaining a little, everything felt smooth until after pylon 6, i saw a puff of smoke and felt a little shake and I new it was over. As Tiger always preached, I climbed to gear speed and downwind to 14. It was shaking pretty bad by touchdown but otherwise uneventful. It looks like a piston/rod broke and poked through the case.
                This obviously was a setback for us but we are determined to be back for 2020 in some form, whether as a full race plane or stock is yet to be determined. I am honored to get to fly with such great pilots,and I am humbled each year I get to be in their ranks. I hope this post has some value and provides some insight into our 2019 effort.

Brent Hisey
                Thank you so much for sharing your 2019 story! I have three kids who all came out with me this year and were delighted to see the red, white and blue of Miss America rounding the pylons. Even though it is a different era of Unlimited racing, we still get so much joy in seeing your plane and the others out there each year. I would just like to personally thank you for your efforts and express our heartfelt gratitude that you have brought this iconic airplane back to Reno. My family, and I think I speak for the entire air racing family, appreciate it beyond words.

Tyler Packard

Comment

Thank you Mr. Hisey!
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Brent Hisey
                    It was great to see Miss A there, ready to race. It is a shame about the engine failure. Life has been busy since I got back, but I will look to see if I have any good shots of her to post as soon as I can.

Can't wait to see you next year!!

Comment

This being my year 43 at Reno Plus Cleveland in the 40's I was cheering for "Doc" Hisey in "Miss America". Thanks for your great effort this year.
                      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Brent Hisey
                        Now this is exactly what many of us here on aafo have been saying we need more of. Thank you Brent so much for taking the time to post your 2019 story here. I've always been fond of Miss A, but in the "new era" of Unlimiteds we are currently a part of, I've taken an extreme loving to her. This is the first time I've actually followed the mods being done to a racer and am able to understand the effects of them. It is beyond cool that Miss A now has some of the ultimate super-stocker Ridge Runner mods on her. For me personally the 2018 and 2019 Unlimited class has only been entertaining because of Miss A's return, and I can't thank you and the team enough for that. I hope you guys can finally take the well-deserved Gold next year!!! I'll be cheering you on as usual
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I hope this post has some value and provides some insight into our 2019 effort.

Brent Hisey
                          Can't thank you enough Brent! The occasional visit by pilots and crews in the various classes have always made this place what it is! Not only do we get to enjoy watching your effort this year, you stop by The Hangar and tell us about it...

THANK YOU!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Miss America has always been special. Over the years she has captured a lot of peoples attention.

Thank you and the entire Miss America team for returning to Reno.

Name:	HWR_0444 (1).jpg
Size:	933.5 KB
ID:	229505
                            Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-23-2019, 03:41 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                              Miss America has always been special. Over the years she has capture(d) a lot of peoples attention.
                              ...some "Miss A" history...back in the day...

...Howie at Mojave...21 October 1973...

Name:	SFW-2019-C73-23.jpg
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	229506

Comment

Working...
                              X