Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

Default Re: The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

Philip Goforth has expressed his interest in racing Czech Mate in 2020. We will see if anything comes out of it
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Philip Goforth has expressed his interest in racing Czech Mate in 2020. We will see if anything comes out of it
    Czech Mate, the gateway drug to Strega...

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    Czech Mate, the gateway drug to Strega...

I'm literally on the fence about going this year... (yea... really) you guys keep this up and I'll have to complete the vault over it!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

There are a couple other possibilities in the works from a couple racers who have been away for a little bit. (Neither really by choice) I can't say exactly who just yet as nothing has been publicly said, but there might be a couple surprises announced before September. They likely won't be gold contenders, but it will be good to have them back on the ramp.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    That would be awesome! They certainly deserve the trophy. CM should be able handle the short tail Dread with ease.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

"That would be awesome! They certainly deserve the trophy. CM should be able handle the short tail Dread with ease. "

Hey...Hey...Hey....That's a 4360 your picking on!
    May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Quote Originally Posted by kennsmithf2g View Post
    "That would be awesome! They certainly deserve the trophy. CM should be able handle the short tail Dread with ease. "

Hey...Hey...Hey....That's a 4360 your picking on!
    Not picking on. Just observing. Maybe if it was a 5600 it could move twice the amount plane of CM just as fast.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Just goes to show that it's not just about horsepower. Weight and drag are important as well. Same deal with the top Sport class racers going faster than most of the unlimiteds
    "young" Thomas

Well the "Rare Bear" never had a 4360 in it & look what it did.
    Lockheed Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    Well the "Rare Bear" never had a 4360 in it & look what it did.
    The Bearcat was fast regardless of the "missing" horsepower. We got it up to 491 mph without the benefit of a great engine, we did build one but it was flawed due to mismarked parts. That engine was pretty good, it didn't leak much, it ran great, but it just didn't make the power. I remember sitting in the hangar at Van Nuys and talking to Greg about how we were making big manifold pressure and rpm numbers and the torque numbers were flat. I asked him if there was any way we could measure the duration of the cam rings that we'd installed. Nope. We burned that engine down at Reno in front of everyone. When the engine was torn down the cam rings were found to be incorrectly marked, the duration held the valves closed longer than expected resulting in high manifold pressure and low torque. Even down on power that airplane was fast enough to put up a fight with the fast mustangs.