No announcement yet.

The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

It looks like it is mostly T-33 parts save for the middle of the fuselage. Why not just use a T-33? Was it parts availability?
    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
      It looks like it is mostly T-33 parts save for the middle of the fuselage. Why not just use a T-33? Was it parts availability?
      Think of the DO-335 layout. In this case, the sheer volume of liquid (fuel/spraybar/adi) calculated for two Griffon engines meant there had to be significantly more tankage than the available internal wing tanks. I believe the Lear fuselage offered frontal area with the front and rear engine, with significant room for tanks close to either side of the c.g.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
        Pretty sure it isn't being parted out, but fixed to fly again as a TF at Airmotive.
        If that’s true then I expect the people who donated to the recovery fund believing it would return as a racer will be disappointed.

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
        Attack of the yaks, including 2 Yak in a Box's.... Could be interesting considering Steadfast and Full Noise will be airfield mates very very soon with Steadfast heading to NZ
        It would be bold - but impressive - if Steadfast’s Kiwi owners took her to Reno a year after buying her!
        Zac in NZ

Comment

Wow, The Lear Solution...that was a long road back into time. The napkin drawing of the Lear solution is not a scale drawing. A lot of information gets lost when we tried to make the actual parts fit the design profile. First off the Griffon engines although single stage with nitrous oxide to boost the power are still large. The conversation with Pete Law completely eliminated the thought of pure boil off for the cooling. Carrying the gasoline, ADI, nitrous oxide, and boiler water was just going to be too much as Brad said. I do believe that for historical reasons the money guy gave all the details to Brad. But Brad is not supposed to share them with anyone. Ultimately the wing was going to be a new build based on a scaled up Spiteful wing with taller landing gear for rear propeller ground clearance.
          John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
            If that’s true then I expect the people who donated to the recovery fund believing it would return as a racer will be disappointed.
            People constantly ask Thom via various social media platforms if there are updates and the answer is always "slow, and we are watching Unlimited air racing to see if it turns around". Understandably... I haven't seen any information if it's going to be a wackjob TF Griffon this and that conversion, but the race parts are definitely being used on other planes, that's a fact.
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
              Wow, The Lear Solution...that was a long road back into time. The napkin drawing of the Lear solution is not a scale drawing. A lot of information gets lost when we tried to make the actual parts fit the design profile. First off the Griffon engines although single stage with nitrous oxide to boost the power are still large. The conversation with Pete Law completely eliminated the thought of pure boil off for the cooling. Carrying the gasoline, ADI, nitrous oxide, and boiler water was just going to be too much as Brad said. I do believe that for historical reasons the money guy gave all the details to Brad. But Brad is not supposed to share them with anyone. Ultimately the wing was going to be a new build based on a scaled up Spiteful wing with taller landing gear for rear propeller ground clearance.
              I didn't recall the wing change, but given my memory lately, it's not surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
                <>
                I have seen several postings saying basically 'we donated to the PM rebuild fund, nothing happened except Thom ended up with a new TP-40'.
                remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                  I have seen several postings saying basically 'we donated to the PM rebuild fund, nothing happened except Thom ended up with a new TP-40'.
                  Ouch. No matter how you slice it though, that is what happened. Pretty tough to not be bitter for us fans. We did our best. Nothing happened. We don’t even get to see the TP-40 we all pitched in for go around the pylons. Talk about a loose-loose deal. I don’t know what events actually transpired but, as a fan and a donor, the above scenario what it looks like from my side of the fence.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
                    Ouch. No matter how you slice it though, that is what happened. Pretty tough to not be bitter for us fans. We did our best. Nothing happened. We don’t even get to see the TP-40 we all pitched in for go around the pylons. Talk about a loose-loose deal. I don’t know what events actually transpired but, as a fan and a donor, the above scenario what it looks like from my side of the fence.
                    Regardless of the truth of the matter, which has never been openly addressed, the perception increasingly becomes the truth in the silence. That is what is so sad, because it just kind of shines a different light on all involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                      Regardless of the truth of the matter, which has never been openly addressed, the perception increasingly becomes the truth in the silence. That is what is so sad, because it just kind of shines a different light on all involved.
                      Yup. I’m trying to stay positive about the whole deal. I was especially proud of that bird. I spent several days stomping around the desert looking for that clamshell. I like Thom and the crew as well. My dad flew with him down in Florida last he was there. Trust me, I’m on board. Thoughts of “Why?” are starting to creep in though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                        Any idea of how much money was actually raised?

Comment

The gofund me is still live. It's not like they took in millions of dollars worth of donations and ran off with the money...I guarantee you he didn't buy a new P-40 for $21,000.

P-51 Mustang 'Precious Metal' is one of the most iconic Air racers in modern times. S… Thom Richard needs your support for Precious Metal return to Air Racing
                          "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                            The gofund me is still live. It's not like they took in millions of dollars worth of donations and ran off with the money...I guarantee you he didn't buy a new P-40 for $21,000.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/dg4s583w
                            I don’t anyone thinks they ran off with a pile of money. It’s one of those things where we all feel PM belongs to all of us. Just like any of the famous race planes. We’ve all invested in PM in one way or another, be it donations, t-shirts, or just cheering them on. It’s hurts when parts and pieces start showing up on other racers. At the end of the day, we’re all sure he’d be racing it if he could.

Comment

A little change up in the 2020 Yak Attack. N261MS or Race 26 previously owned by sport class pilot Olivier Langeard has a new owner!

Scotty Crandlemire took ownership of the R-2000 Yak and it is now registered N3X. I'm hoping this is another one of the guys that Dusty is pulling into Unlimited racing. Seems too ironic that he was a F1 racer a few decades ago like Dusty.

I have no confirmation on if Scotty will be racing it, but it seems pretty likely if Dusty is involved in any caliber!
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Is the bearcat ever going to come back?

Comment

Working...
                                X