No announcement yet.

The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

I'm sure most of us are already starting to hear rumblings of a really impressive 2020 Unlimited Class. Rumors are rumors, but it's better to hear talk of them than nothing at all. Here's what I've heard...

From the Unlimited president himself, CAF is supposedly allowing their planes to race next year. This could mean the Bearcat and hopefully the Griffon Spitfire. I think it's also important to note that Craig Hutain was certified at PRS in 2018. Possible P-63F racing?... Wouldn't that be something.

Attack of the Yak's is already underway. Dusty plans on bringing Lylia back faster than ever, Full Noise has some ideas, Olivier Langeard plans on bringing his R-2000 Yak, and Steadfast and Czech Mate are possible outliers.

We all know Vicky plans on bringing Race 64.

Crusader and On Eagle's Wings should be making their return next year as well...

I think it's also safe to say a majority of this year's racers will be racing next year. The exceptions could be Wee Willy II, and the Palm Springs gang. I know a lot of the reason to race was to honor Bob Friend. This year was the "remembering" year, and that may be the swan song for them. I really hope not!

Miss America is a 50/50 after Sunday. They do want to try again, but it might be too much of a task with the torn up engine they have now...

And maybe, just MAYBE, now that Sawbones lost the canopy it's time to put on Riff Raff's...

I'm not gonna start to say anything about Strega, Voodoo, and Rare Bear. There's nothing solid enough to make any assumptions just yet.

Could we have 20+ Unlimited racers next year?? I think the off season should be pretty fun until then!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

The off season will be fun if the teams [trash] talk a bit more. So we should be encouraging them to post as much as possible. That's what made Precious Metal an easy fan favorite, because they would -you know- actually interact with their fans.
    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

The fact that 300 MPH was a podium finish in the championship race should inspire others!
      Last edited by N22252; 09-17-2019, 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Almost a year ago Team Strega was posting 'hints' that they were coming this year....and then didn't.

I would post pictures, but I'm not allowed to by the site.
        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
          Almost a year ago Team Strega was posting 'hints' that they were coming this year....and then didn't.

I would post pictures, but I'm not allowed to by the site.
          Hummm…. I looked at your membership and don't see why it would not.... I changed you to "senior" member, which allows more photos to be uploaded... if you'd exceeded the previously set quota for registered_member which you were before... this should fix... if not, PM me let's figtger it out..
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
            Attack of the Yak's is already underway. Dusty plans on bringing Lylia back faster than ever, Full Noise has some ideas, Olivier Langeard plans on bringing his R-2000 Yak, and Steadfast and Czech Mate are possible outliers.
            Attack of the yaks, including 2 Yak in a Box's.... Could be interesting considering Steadfast and Full Noise will be airfield mates very very soon with Steadfast heading to NZ
            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
              The off season will be fun if the teams [trash] talk a bit more. So we should be encouraging them to post as much as possible. That's what made Precious Metal an easy fan favorite, because they would -you know- actually interact with their fans.
              Speaking of Precious Metal, what is the latest word? Didn't see or hear anything from Thom during Reno? Was he there? Racing F1? Thought I read something about not being able to bring the P-40??? What's the scoop with Warbird Adventures? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                I will second we should be trying to get more of the teams to be public and post here and other places. It was great with PM, people could keep interested during the 51 week off season. Just look at the new and younger crowd at the STOL pits. Those guys post like crazy, have YouTube channels and whatnot. I wish we could get more energy like that around the other classes.

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
                  Speaking of Precious Metal, what is the latest word? Didn't see or hear anything from Thom during Reno? Was he there? Racing F1? Thought I read something about not being able to bring the P-40??? What's the scoop with Warbird Adventures? Thanks.
                  Thom was not at Reno, his F1 is still not fixed from the accident and he isn't racing anyone else's at the moment. He couldn't bring the P-40 because of insurance requirements so it spent Reno weekend being worked on in Florida to get re-ready to finish up the airshow season. I have no idea what the plan is for PM. The strakes are on Miss A, and the short ailerons are on Goldfinger. Not a good sign.
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Thom was not at Reno, his F1 is still not fixed from the accident and he isn't racing anyone else's at the moment. He couldn't bring the P-40 because of insurance requirements so it spent Reno weekend being worked on in Florida to get re-ready to finish up the airshow season. I have no idea what the plan is for PM. The strakes are on Miss A, and the short ailerons are on Goldfinger. Not a good sign.
                    An explanation of "strakes" and "short ailerons" please.

Comment

Originally posted by JMS View Post
                      An explanation of "strakes" and "short ailerons" please.
                      The strakes are the extended wing root fairings that Miss America had installed this year. Used to be on Ridge Runner III, then on Precious Metal. It's the elongated "strakes" on the fuselage just behind the wing. The short ailerons are the ailerons that Precious Metal had on it because of the wing clip at the production break. Goldfinger has the same size wings which use those short ailerons. Instead of making new ones they used Precious Metal's.
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                        Hummm…. I looked at your membership and don't see why it would not.... I changed you to "senior" member, which allows more photos to be uploaded... if you'd exceeded the previously set quota for registered_member which you were before... this should fix... if not, PM me let's figtger it out..
                        This is what I was talking about
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	WitchStrega.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	229489

hey it worked!
                        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                          hey it worked!
                          Cool!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The strakes are the extended wing root fairings that Miss America had installed this year. Used to be on Ridge Runner III, then on Precious Metal. It's the elongated "strakes" on the fuselage just behind the wing. The short ailerons are the ailerons that Precious Metal had on it because of the wing clip at the production break. Goldfinger has the same size wings which use those short ailerons. Instead of making new ones they used Precious Metal's.
                            Wow, sounds like PM has become Pick-A-Part, surely not a good thing.
                            Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by JMS View Post
                              Wow, sounds like PM has become Pick-A-Part, surely not a good thing.
                              Thank you.
                              Pretty sure it isn't being parted out, but fixed to fly again as a TF at Airmotive.
                              Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X