Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 51 to 60 of 60

Thread: The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    KSBP
    Posts
    882

    Default Re: The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    I'm thinking perhaps some other fast racer may be thinking "a shoe in" and will hopefully show for 2020. Maybe wishful thinking, but can always hope.
    I wonder how fast Strega or Voodoo would go with a stock engine. Faster than Dreadnought? That would save on prep costs.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,872

    Default Re: The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    I wonder how fast Strega or Voodoo would go with a stock engine. Faster than Dreadnought? That would save on prep costs.
    Probably not. Even if it could theoretically, it is going to put a LOT of wear and possibly damage on that engine. Still going to be faced with a large rebuild bill afterward.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,895

    Default Re: The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    I wonder how fast Strega or Voodoo would go with a stock engine. Faster than Dreadnought? That would save on prep costs.
    Probably low 400's. I think the 2018/2019 Miss America would be faster than either of them with stock engines.
    *My Air Race Site*

    Reno from '99 to '19

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Maui, Hawaii
    Posts
    737

    Default Re: The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

    Didn't Jimmy Leeward qualify "Spectre" one year with a stock engine? 426 mph?

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,872

    Default Re: The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Reever View Post
    Didn't Jimmy Leeward qualify "Spectre" one year with a stock engine? 426 mph?
    Yes, but that was on an old course. On today's course that would be 360-ish or a little under. Plus that motor did not survive the week.

    On his 426mph lap in 1985 his lap time was 1:17.84. Last year a 1:08.15 lap was good for 417mph. That's a big difference in course / timing.
    Last edited by Race5; 12-02-2019 at 09:36 PM.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,943

    Default Re: The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    I wonder how fast Strega or Voodoo would go with a stock engine. Faster than Dreadnought? That would save on prep costs.
    Can you say "restrictor plate"?

    If you go back a few years in the posts, unless we lost 'em somewhere along the way.. there was a thread that I started about some form of limiting power in order to limit costs and enable closer competition without an unreasonable budget.

    I called it "restrictor plate" simply in reference to what NASCAR has done to limit speeds on certain race tracks. Not to say that any time anyone can have a sentence with NASCAR and NCAR in it....

    If you think about it, just having a few guys with WWII aircraft in whatever form they might be to run around bunch of pylons at high throttle settings is pretty "tough stuff" LOL!

    In the real world today, $$ being what they are and costs to race what they are.. You don't need to put a plate anywhere! It has already been stuffed up the air race team owner's lower forty!

    Would we all whine if airplanes like Czech Mate, Strega, Voodoo... and maybe lots of others, raced in an "limited unlimited" class.. meaning, limit the HP and subsequent HP cost per year! There are not enough parts to continue testing and then going beyond the limits of the old engines!

    What if a guy with the bux to do it could just about ensure that he would be competitive but still have an airplane at the end of the week?

    Way too long winded here! maybe a new thread?
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,943

    Default Re: The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

    Completely off topic: Neal Nurmi told me he thought my profile picture was an air to air shot.. the one with Robert Odegaard coming right at me at head on level..

    I just hadn't really looked at it in a long time.. seems so long ago, but it's not air to air, I was on outer 4 escorting the film crew for Thunder Over Reno for some passes with the airplanes.. Robert came up over the ridge there knowing where wee all were and.. well it was really cool!

    Sorry for drifting off topic... just glanced at that icon by chance (I normally read the posts via a text email review I get with every post) and it reminded me of the moment
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,876

    Default Re: The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
    I wonder how fast Strega or Voodoo would go with a stock engine. Faster than Dreadnought? That would save on prep costs.
    In 2014 Tiger qualified Strega on the stock 'tractor motor' at 381 mph. Later in the week they installed the Rick S. race motor.

  9. #59

    Default Re: The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Completely off topic: Neal Nurmi told me he thought my profile picture was an air to air shot.. the one with Robert Odegaard coming right at me at head on level..

    I just hadn't really looked at it in a long time.. seems so long ago, but it's not air to air, I was on outer 4 escorting the film crew for Thunder Over Reno for some passes with the airplanes.. Robert came up over the ridge there knowing where wee all were and.. well it was really cool!

    Sorry for drifting off topic... just glanced at that icon by chance (I normally read the posts via a text email review I get with every post) and it reminded me of the moment
    >> So awesome Wayne - I look at that pic every time I am on AAFO. So awesome! Thanks for all you do - have done and will see that it gets done : ) Hope to have some great news soon as well. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Wayne to you and yours...all of your AAFO Family. M <<
    Last edited by mitchcarley; 12-03-2019 at 03:08 PM.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,943

    Default Re: The 2020 Unlimited Class Rumor Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchcarley View Post
    >> So awesome Wayne - I look at that pic every time I am on AAFO. So awesome! Thanks for all you do - have done and will see that it gets done : ) Hope to have some great news soon as well. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Wayne to you and yours...all of your AAFO Family. M <<
    Hey Mitch, always good to hear from you! Those were some FUN days out there doing the TOR stuff! Looking forward to good news from you!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •