Thread: MissA issue / condition? Glad Brent okay!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default MissA issue / condition? Glad Brent okay!

Thanks Wayne for all you do!
    For those of us not there. What was Brent’s / MissA’s mechanical issue? Great to see Doc pull-off an awesome (what looked like a no-power) safe recovery. Sorry if I missed a posting on this. Congratulations Brent & team...so well positioned this year. Great to have AAFO! M

Default Re: MissA issue / condition? Glad Brent okay!

Don't have word from any crew, but observed heat damage to the front exhaust stack on the left side and oil down the right side. Cowling was intact but looked "distressed" to me.

I don’t have specifics, but the engine is pretty thrashed. Lots of big parts out of place. Might be a deciding factor in if they come back next year. Not a “simple” overhaul like it was to get ready for this year.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Thanks LED and GRNDP51 for the replies / details. Understood. Hope the Stocker was in the trailer. Drag - but super happy on the recovery. M

Quote Originally Posted by mitchcarley View Post
    Thanks LED and GRNDP51 for the replies / details. Understood. Hope the Stocker was in the trailer. Drag - but super happy on the recovery. M
    They do have a stocker in the trailer. They were going to install it after the race motor made metal early in the week. Then the team though they had found the source of the problem and made the needed repairs so the race motor stayed in.

Big tip of the hat to Doc, he put the hammer down and went for it. He's a racer! Just sorry about his cost.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchcarley View Post
    Thanks Wayne for all you do!
    For those of us not there. What was Brent’s / MissA’s mechanical issue? Great to see Doc pull-off an awesome (what looked like a no-power) safe recovery. Sorry if I missed a posting on this. Congratulations Brent & team...so well positioned this year. Great to have AAFO! M
    Hey Mitch, wish you would have been here! I was sick in bed on Sunday in my RV... unable to find out what but as others have said, he had her wound up pretty tight! I think he had a Shanholzer motor this year, they can be VERY strong engines!

PS: THANKS for the click!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Hey Mitch, wish you would have been here! I was sick in bed on Sunday in my RV... unable to find out what but as others have said, he had her wound up pretty tight! I think he had a Shanholzer motor this year, they can be VERY strong engines!

PS: THANKS for the click!
    Wayne - I am so sorry to hear you were laid-up...drag...HAPPY you sound recovered here. Yes, you know my respect for Doc & gang...I too was so hoping for a Red White & Blue victory-climb-out...with pealing-tape and all. Thank you all AAFO'ers so much for the details...I assumed it turned in to an alloy-grinder. Thank you Doc and all Racers for making this all possible with RARA, wishing all continued success and safety. Finally Wayne - thank you and yours for making this URL a daily-pick-me-up! M )
    Last edited by mitchcarley; 09-20-2019 at 06:42 AM.

Okay, just to be clear....there was no 'gaining' going on between the two aircraft. Doc maintained his distance through the first two and a half laps and was still 'there' when he pulled out coming off of 6 on lap 2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0686a.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	24413