X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jeff Lavelle mayday?

Originally posted by Bob View Post
    we have a race tomorrow boys!
    Looks like it is going to be a good one! I wonder if they will break 400? Been knocking on the door all week between the two of them.
    Random Air Blog

Comment

He didn't realize that Jeff Lavelle was never a part of the Sport race yesterday,
      If the announcer is calling a race and referring to an airplane that had not been off the ground for the previous two days, thinking that plane was IN the race, then all I can say he is simply not awake and needs to be gone immediately.

I have to applaud the member of this forum that went into the booth and request they stop playing loud music during the races. He needs to make one more trip back to that booth.

we have a race tomorrow boys!
      I take this to mean that Jeff got the airplane fixed?

GP
      Last edited by gp70442; 09-15-2019, 08:24 AM.

Comment

^^^ It was not a demand. It was more of a plea to listen to reason. Yell at someone and they’ll never do anything for you. Make somebody laugh and you’ve got a friend.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Re: Jeff Lavelle mayday? Does anyone know why Lavelle pulled up on Gold Sunday?

He didn't even make it around one lap, but I never heard anything about what happened. I suspect that engine is nearing it's end. The engine has been in that plane since back around '07 or so. So it might be time for a fresh one. If it's getting that weak from being strained through so many races, I'd have concerns about flying it home over all those mountains back to Washington state.

Comment

Originally posted by tedstriker View Post
            He didn't even make it around one lap, but I never heard anything about what happened. I suspect that engine is nearing it's end. The engine has been in that plane since back around '07 or so. So it might be time for a fresh one. If it's getting that weak from being strained through so many races, I'd have concerns about flying it home over all those mountains back to Washington state.
            It is my understanding that Jeff's engine was new for this year. He nuked his turbos to start with, got them sorted out late Friday night, They had some concern the new ones wouldn't clear the cowling. He took it up early for a test flight Saturday morning, everything sounded and looked good.

Jeffs engine run late Friday night.

Will

Comment

Thanks for the update. He looked good on Saturday's racing, except for the speed being down a bit. The announcer said he found out he had a gear door hanging down which slowed him some. So I figured he'd have it ready for victory on Sunday, then he pulls up and out on the first lap. Wonder what the issue was with that? I'm guessing on that first lap he must have pushed everything up to the max to pass the Lancair and something let go. I wish Jeff had a Facebook page for updates.

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
              It is my understanding that Jeff's engine was new for this year. He nuked his turbos to start with, got them sorted out late Friday night, They had some concern the new ones wouldn't clear the cowling. He took it up early for a test flight Saturday morning, everything sounded and looked good.

Jeffs engine run late Friday night.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by tedstriker View Post
                Thanks for the update. He looked good on Saturday's racing, except for the speed being down a bit. The announcer said he found out he had a gear door hanging down which slowed him some. So I figured he'd have it ready for victory on Sunday, then he pulls up and out on the first lap. Wonder what the issue was with that? I'm guessing on that first lap he must have pushed everything up to the max to pass the Lancair and something let go. I wish Jeff had a Facebook page for updates.
                I didn't see any gear doors open when he went past me while I was on the hillside on Saturday. I can go back through my pics and look however.

I don't remember hearing anything sounding seriously sour with the engine on Sunday. I have no clue what actually happened however.

Will

Comment

Listening t the radio on Thursday when he first smoked it was almost amusing to hear the camera L-39 call that he was leaving the infield "for the impending mayday" a half lap before he actually declared.
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Sounds like the mayday on Sunday wasn't to serious. Blown intake hose fitting.

https://www.kitplanes.com/findlay-dominates-reno/
                    Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X