Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jeff Lavelle mayday?

Default Re: Jeff Lavelle mayday? Does anyone know why Lavelle pulled up on Gold Sunday?

Thanks for the update. He looked good on Saturday's racing, except for the speed being down a bit. The announcer said he found out he had a gear door hanging down which slowed him some. So I figured he'd have it ready for victory on Sunday, then he pulls up and out on the first lap. Wonder what the issue was with that? I'm guessing on that first lap he must have pushed everything up to the max to pass the Lancair and something let go. I wish Jeff had a Facebook page for updates.

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    It is my understanding that Jeff's engine was new for this year. He nuked his turbos to start with, got them sorted out late Friday night, They had some concern the new ones wouldn't clear the cowling. He took it up early for a test flight Saturday morning, everything sounded and looked good.

Jeffs engine run late Friday night.

Will

Default Re: Jeff Lavelle mayday? Does anyone know why Lavelle pulled up on Gold Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by tedstriker View Post
    Thanks for the update. He looked good on Saturday's racing, except for the speed being down a bit. The announcer said he found out he had a gear door hanging down which slowed him some. So I figured he'd have it ready for victory on Sunday, then he pulls up and out on the first lap. Wonder what the issue was with that? I'm guessing on that first lap he must have pushed everything up to the max to pass the Lancair and something let go. I wish Jeff had a Facebook page for updates.
    I didn't see any gear doors open when he went past me while I was on the hillside on Saturday. I can go back through my pics and look however.

I don't remember hearing anything sounding seriously sour with the engine on Sunday. I have no clue what actually happened however.

Will

Default Re: Jeff Lavelle mayday?

Listening t the radio on Thursday when he first smoked it was almost amusing to hear the camera L-39 call that he was leaving the infield "for the impending mayday" a half lap before he actually declared.

Default Re: Jeff Lavelle mayday?

Sounds like the mayday on Sunday wasn't to serious. Blown intake hose fitting.

https://www.kitplanes.com/findlay-dominates-reno/