Jeff Lavelle mayday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Lavelle mayday?

Anyone know what happened to the motor? Burned piston? Can it be fixed?

Re: Jeff Lavelle mayday?

Originally posted by Bob View Post
    That was stressful to watch. The engine didn't seize upon landing. He shut it off at will and it doesn't look like the thing was even that dirty. Did he use nitrous off of the chute? Seemed like it agitated an already smoky situation.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

His engine was smoking right after takeoff. Seemed to get better but after the first lap it got really bad. By the time he pulled out on the back of the course it looked like air show smoke it was so thick. I really hope it’s okay but not optimistic. Plane did look clean but it was tough to tell with the exhaust on the belly of the plane.

He looked great coming down the chute and even got ahead of Andy temporarily on the back of the course. Then Andy poured it on and was back ahead in a flash. 30 looks and sounds ridiculously awesome.

Comment

He got a report on the radio coming into 4 on the first lap, “39, your smoking bad now.” It was. It finally popped official around 5 next time by and he called mayday. He called 08 but then decided 14 was the better call. It appeared to be running regardless of the air show looking smoke. Kevin in 42 called mayday during 39s mayday. He pulled 08 no problem.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Man that is a lost smoke! Watching it on the replay. Wonder if he blew a turbo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJAoqt16SAI

What happened with Relentless?
          Random Air Blog

Comment

#39 broke the turbos. Working on getting replacements.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	B394AB40-6187-4E11-A47C-2C75E43AA4A5.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	229476Click image for larger version

Name:	B394AB40-6187-4E11-A47C-2C75E43AA4A5.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	229476
            "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Was Jeff able to get it back together for today’s heat?
              Random Air Blog

Comment

he is taking off now, he made it

Comment

Well that didn't last long. I wonder if that was the test flight? Will he be bumped to Silver now?
                  Random Air Blog

Comment

he is taking off now, he made it

I think you’re getting 39 and 42 mixed up. 39 didn’t have turbos yet and never lined up muh less leave the ground. 42 did briefly take off. I’ve no idea why. He flew around a bit after hours. Sounded okay.
                    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Being in South America I have to rely on the announcers, they said he was in the race, and they showed him finishing in 6th!
                      But I am not suprised they got it wrong....... again......

Comment

Being in South America I have to rely on the announcers, they said he was in the race, and they showed him finishing in 6th!
                        But I am not suprised they got it wrong....... again......
                        The announcers are terrible, one particular guy has been unbearable for years, both in person and on the stream. He spends so much time repeating the same script of lets just say "sort of correct" historical information he doesn't even know what is going on in front of him in the race...

He didn't realize that Jeff Lavelle was never a part of the Sport race yesterday, and in the Unlimited Silver I think the first comment he made about the actual race was "and there's the white flag" ... how do they expect new people checking out the NCAR to take the races seriously when the announcers don't even comment on the race or have some idea of what is happening in the race?

Just my two cents ...
                        Chris

Comment

we have a race tomorrow boys!

Comment

Originally posted by chrs3590 View Post
                            The announcers are terrible, one particular guy has been unbearable for years, both in person and on the stream. He spends so much time repeating the same script of lets just say "sort of correct" historical information he doesn't even know what is going on in front of him in the race...

He didn't realize that Jeff Lavelle was never a part of the Sport race yesterday, and in the Unlimited Silver I think the first comment he made about the actual race was "and there's the white flag" ... how do they expect new people checking out the NCAR to take the races seriously when the announcers don't even comment on the race or have some idea of what is happening in the race?

Just my two cents ...
                            I thought the same thing, he seems disconnected from the race. On one of the sport races I knew one of the Glasair 3's was not going to race right after takeoff, because he didn't pull his gear up. The announcer never caught that because he's not paying attention. Those planes need to pull the gear right up or as the speed builds it can get locked down by wind forces. So if that gear doesn't come up there's usually a reason. These level of pilots wouldn't forget to bring it up. And I also knew Jeff Lavelle wasn't in yesterday's race and kept wondering why the announcer kept saying he was there. There are people available who are more attuned to various classes of racing and could be there with him to give accurate reports.

Comment

Are we talking about the fellow who keeps saying Cleveland two weeks after that airshow?

Comment

Working...
                              X