Request: Report from the stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request: Report from the stands

I broke down emotionally yesterday and walked over to the announcers table to ask, what seems like an old question, “Why, for the love of god, must there be music playing at all times?” This caught the attention of everyone at the table. One lovely young miss (to my discredit I forgot her name but she likes planes, guns and her corvette ) whom took me quite serious and we discussed the reasons for and against for several minutes. It ended with we (us fans) wanted to hear airplanes, not golden oldies. A couple fellas in the stands agreed, and I quote, 100%. It was one of the funnest debates I’ve ever had with the on-site personnel. I’ve never had such a large audience of them to bitch to and a defense team backing me up. They (the personnel) were all super cool about it. Never heard another song all day. Just the peace of race planes and scanners in stereo effect. Was that out of line? It seems like we’ve been talking/complaining about it for years. I had to say something.

If I offended anyone, my apologies. Certainly not my intent. In particular the audio crew. I think they do a stellar job. It will dominate the airwaves throughout the event site but, it also sounds great. Trust me, I appreciate quality audio. **** sounds tight.

I won’t be “inside” for most of the rest of the week. I’d be interested in know if anyone notices a reduction in music whilst hot rod airplanes are in the sky?
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Re: Request: Report from the stands

I’m curious, when exactly are/were they playing music? I thought Reno has always been good about music. Are we talking like downtime in between races? Were they playing it DURING races? How can they do that when they’re announcing? Either way I’ll let you know tomorrow what the verdict is
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I'm with you, don't need the music, or at the very least, it needs to be turned way down, so it's just in the background. Use to camp across from the Catholic Church and could hear it over there in the mornings.

Comment

I had shouted out to the guys working on the speakers during qualfying that I wanted to hear the engines not music and they seemed to turn it down. Now we need to get the speakers on the ground, not in the air blocking our view. I kinda feel sorry to the box seaters having a speaker block their view.
        May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Originally posted by kennsmithf2g View Post
          I had shouted out to the guys working on the speakers during qualfying that I wanted to hear the engines not music and they seemed to turn it down. Now we need to get the speakers on the ground, not in the air blocking our view. I kinda feel sorry to the box seaters having a speaker block their view.
          I agree 100% and dear God quit talking so much during the Races. The announcers are so far behind and uninformed it is crazy.

TV sports also show so much information on the screen that you don't even need announcers anymore. Thanks, Kahnzilla

Comment

To be clear, they weren’t playing music during any race, just all through qualifying Wed morning.

Sooooooo, how’s it going down there?
            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I was in the box seats A32 right at show center yesterday. There was a little bit of music during transitions from one event to another but it was very low volume (background noise). I think they got the message. Thanks Fence. Were there some inaccuracies and some babble? Of course, but I have learned to accept it and refuse to let it bother me. Overall, they are professional group and take their job seriously.
              Last edited by boomtown; 09-16-2019, 03:03 PM.
              "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Thanks for bringing it to their attention. It was not to not be blasted by music as much this year. Being in the A row of boxes, the speakers were very annoying. I got way too many pictures of speakers blocking planes, or the camera focusing on the speaker as I panned, and a blurry plane.

Now, if we could just get the announcers to keep quiet most of the time, the fact they are terrible would not be as noticeable.

Comment

I've heard worse. I agree that the music is a little loud but on race days they did better with the timing.
                  I did get a little tired of the history lessons as they are not totally accurate. as a history buff it hurts when facts and figures are bantered about because most uninformed people believe them.
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                    I've heard worse. I agree that the music is a little loud but on race days they did better with the timing.
                    I did get a little tired of the history lessons as they are not totally accurate. as a history buff it hurts when facts and figures are bantered about because most uninformed people believe them.
                    I didn't get into the area of the announcers this year (box seats) as the DB Mueller gang was absent.. I didn't see Sharon Coates in the pits and if they lacked the help she's given them in year's past, it would have made a difficult job even more so.
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I just get annoyed. I recently finished Matthews book "Cobra" and have always considered myself well versed in P-51 lore. There was just so many little things said that were inaccurate. During the slower Unlimited races they jabbered on about Pretty Polly and after 3 days...
                      In their defense they did be quiet when they went down the front straight so we could hear airplanes, not "facts".
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

I just get annoyed. I recently finished Matthews book "Cobra" and have always considered myself well versed in P-51 lore. There was just so many little things said that were inaccurate. During the slower Unlimited races they jabbered on about Pretty Polly and after 3 days...
                        In their defense they did be quiet when they went down the front straight so we could hear airplanes, not "facts".
                        I hear ya... with due respect to those in the booth, talking over radio calls was the one main thing that got my goat.. lap count for Sunday Gold UL was, simply.... humorious...
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Well, ultimately it is just bitching on my part. I could never sit there all day and announce.
                          Those that can, do.
                          Those that can't do, teach.
                          Those that can't do or teach, are critics.
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Well, ultimately it is just bitching on my part. I could never sit there all day and announce.
                            Those that can, do.
                            Those that can't do, teach.
                            Those that can't do or teach, are critics.
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Was there on Saturday. Found it funny the announcer was telling us that the P51 Goldfinger had a polished finish. Really Mr. announcer? I couldn't tell from the super bright glare that could be seen for miles away. Lol

But got to be tough to fill the air time and keep it interesting, so props to the announcers.

P51 Goldfinger, formerly painted as Risky Business, and it was up for sale in 2017 for $2.5m with 10hr on the air frame since restoration.

Comment

Working...
                              X