Sooooo... Who's Winning?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sooooo... Who's Winning?!

The Buick may not have the speed of years past, shorter vertical stab and from what I understand a smaller prop.

Comment

I bet Dreadnought will still run 440+. The smaller tail apparently makes it faster, just harder to fly. Perhaps with the smaller prop I won't have to shoot at 1/60 sec for a full prop disk like i did last year.

Will

Comment

Your shutter setting for a full prop disk on the Buick should be unchanged since 2014 if I am correct on having a smaller prop.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
          As for who will win what, I'd like to see Miss A get a win for a 50th anniversary present, but they will need 460+ to do it. No, Dreadnought hasn't been pushed hard the past couple years, but in years past it has run 450+ so it would stand to reason that if Miss A were to actually mount a real challenge, they are going to need to be able to run 460+.
          Didn't Ridge Runner go 490 back in 2009? I guess it is possible Miss America could run faster than Dreadnought. Maybe someone has video of the qualifying run?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDpiiusJhrU
          Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
            Didn't Ridge Runner go 490 back in 2009? I guess it is possible Miss America could run faster than Dreadnought. Maybe someone has video of the qualifying run?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDpiiusJhrU
            RR is a MUCH different animal than Miss America. Scoop/doghouse and engine tell the tale.
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Plane Nuts View Post
              Your shutter setting for a full prop disk on the Buick should be unchanged since 2014 if I am correct on having a smaller prop.
              Last year was the first time I've ever gotten a full disk on Dreadnought in flight. A lot of people have trouble shooting at 1/60 sec, 500mm. I've gotten better at it, but its still not an easy shot.

RR3 was a much different setup from Miss America. They also had the engine meant for Dago Red, and a few of Dago's other mods that could be bolted on.

Will

Comment

I am anxious to see Relentless and the new mods. I would love to see it and Kevin take one.
                You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                  Last year was the first time I've ever gotten a full disk on Dreadnought in flight. A lot of people have trouble shooting at 1/60 sec, 500mm. I've gotten better at it, but its still not an easy shot.

RR3 was a much different setup from Miss America. They also had the engine meant for Dago Red, and a few of Dago's other mods that could be bolted on.

Will
                  Is this one of those situations where you might get one good shot out of 20? Assuming you panning taking the shots. Are you auto-focused or manual? Beginner here and trying to learn the tricks (hints) of the trade.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
                    Is this one of those situations where you might get one good shot out of 20? Assuming you panning taking the shots. Are you auto-focused or manual? Beginner here and trying to learn the tricks (hints) of the trade.
                    Thanks.
                    Haha, more like 10/20. Its taken YEARS of practice. Its when I shoot 1/40 at 500mm that the capture rate starts getting low.

Shooting from the hillside is tough, its a long distance shot, and the wind can really buffet the lens making the shot tricky.

Yes, to take the shot you need to pan, and it will take a ton of practice. You have to pan the shot in order to get a clear subject at a shutter speed slow enough to get prop blur. The more prop blur you want, the slower the shutter speed needs to be. Try shooting in shutter priority, let the camera figure out the exposure, and set your ISO somewhat low (about 100) so you don't end up over exposing the shot, or ending up with diffraction issues from using a high F stop.

Will

Comment

Are there no Bearcats nor Mustangs this year in the unlimited ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jukka View Post
                        Are there no Bearcats nor Mustangs this year in the unlimited ?
                        There are 7 mustangs in the line up this year, no bearcats

Comment

Besides Miss America...which are the other 6 Mustangs ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jukka View Post
                            Besides Miss America...which are the other 6 Mustangs ?
                            Someone’s in the dark.....

Wee Willy II, Goldfinger, Speedball Alice, Lady B, Blondie, & Bunny
                            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Well, Sawbones just lost the canopy while on course. Safe landing. Looks like it missed the tail.
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
                                Well, Sawbones just lost the canopy while on course. Safe landing. Looks like it missed the tail.
                                Time for the Riff Raff canopy!!
                                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                                X