Sooooo... Who's Winning?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sooooo... Who's Winning?!

This site is WAYYYY too slow right now.... Let's get it popping!

Unlimited: Miss America!!!

Sport: Way too up for grabs, I think Relentless is capable of record setting anyhow

Jet: No Compromises, would love to see Jive in the Vamp take it though!

F1: Fraed Naught

T6: Radial Velocity

Biplane: Phantom

Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Sooooo... Who's Winning?!

Unlimited: Dread
    F1: Limitless
    Sport: 39
    T-6: Six Cat
    Bipe: Phantom
    Jet: Don't know, don't care

Comment

I would love to see Miss A take it but, Buick

One Moment- C’mon man, he’s the Champ.

Limitless

Six Cat

Phantom

Whatever
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Dang no love for the Jets. It’s amazing how much effort has been put into the mods on that aircraft. There’s a reason why everyone else has trouble keeping up. For example there is no second seat or controls (where the R2 D2 goes). Not a big deal except that the aft cockpit is the primary controls. So literally everything needed to be redone. Also it’s fun taking a picture of #5 and a picture of any other L-39 from the same angle and play “spot the differences”. All that to say: American spirit.

One Moment. 39 needs a lot just to catch up to what we had last year. 42 has had no time for fine tuning and testing (this is assuming his fb updates have been in somewhat real time and Kevin isn’t screwing with us)

Dreadnought (I’ve heard Miss A got more mods done but I’ll believe it when I see some faster numbers)

Phantom

Fraed Naught (actually did beat Limitless in the last heat race last year)

Baron’s Revenge

Edit: New FB live video of Miss A running up before departing for Reno shows they have some new wing root fairings
        Last edited by CubersWrist; 09-05-2019, 06:29 AM.
        "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
          This site is WAYYYY too slow right now.... ]
          Whaaattttt!

Oh shoot. you scared me! Since about 1999, I've had this site on its own server (dedicated) in a high tech climate controlled data center. (I used to do a lot of dot dot dot's in my typing... I watch too much Steven Colbert.. I'm trying to break the habit. )

I agree, traffic to this site this year is lower than it has been, pretty much ever..

It really goes back a few years, I truly love RENO and all that it and the phrase RENO stands for
          I grew up there.

If you dig through the archives over the years, .. AAFO has had some really enthusiastic contributors, for whatever the reason, most of the "official" AAFO.COM "staff" have moved on.

When I opened this website in 1996-1997 I had two missions, promote the fate of Howard Hughes Spruce Goose, and help bring the Reno National Championship Air Races into the world of the Internet...

I just lost my train of thought and I would usually just delete this message, but I'm going to post it .. Getting personal here... one of the things that took my dad from me in '92 was Alzheimer's/Demetria. He was 40 years, almost to the day older than me. When he was my age, sixty nine, I did notice cognitive changes with him.. When he died in '92 at 81 years old, he did not remember who I was.

OK.. we return control of your television to you....
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
            Dang no love for the Jets. It’s amazing how much effort has been put into the mods on that aircraft. There’s a reason why everyone else has trouble keeping up. For example there is no second seat or controls (where the R2 D2 goes). Not a big deal except that the aft cockpit is the primary controls. So literally everything needed to be redone. Also it’s fun taking a picture of #5 and a picture of any other L-39 from the same angle and play “spot the differences”. All that to say: American spirit.
            For me, there’s just been too many moments in that class that have made my butt pucker. If they could get through an entire week without doing that, I’d be much more onboard. Until then, those guys are just ****ing scary.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
              For me, there’s just been too many moments in that class that have made my butt pucker. If they could get through an entire week without doing that, I’d be much more onboard. Until then, those guys are just ****ing scary.
              My thoughts exactly. I tend to use that class as an excuse to leave the field for a bit.

Comment

Ah now those are "legit" concerns. I am used to seeing more personal/subjective reasons like no propeller blur, too easy to photograph, not enough noise, etc.
                "young" Thomas

Comment

The jet concerns are understandable. I think it's been MUCH calmer since the "fast jet" ban, but it's still a bit sketchy.

I for one do enjoy the class still. Competitive gold field with some top guns trying to win is enough to grab my interest. Sound of course is not the same as Unlimited/Sport, but the racing is enjoyable for me to watch. I prefer it over T-6 any day.
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I've always used the jet races as excuses to take my family behind the grandstands for food, souvenirs, bathroom breaks, etc. Watching an L-29 wobbling and flexing as it goes by the home pylon made that an easy decision.

Comment

I don't mind the Jet Class. Nothing says we won the Cold War like watching their old war birds being used as our toys.

As to the winners, I would like to see Miss A surprise us, but if I was putting money on it, I think it would be on the Buick.

I would like to see Relentless do well, but it has not done well since the prop fell off, so I am not holding by breath. Chainsaw wings is still the one to beat in the Sport Class.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al View Post
                        I've always used the jet races as excuses to take my family behind the grandstands for food, souvenirs, bathroom breaks, etc. Watching an L-29 wobbling and flexing as it goes by the home pylon made that an easy decision.
                        Was that with the now-banned engine swap/mount?
                        "young" Thomas

Comment

More than likely yes as there hasn't been a fast L-29 at Reno in recent years besides Just Lucky. It's been 8 years, Jet class is more tame than 2009/10/11...
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

The winner is.... The crowd and those of us who get to shoot the races from the pylons. Doesn't matter who wins, it does matter that the races are happening. I for one am really looking forward to being able to both shoot and post some awesome stuff that I hope everyone can enjoy.

As for who will win what, I'd like to see Miss A get a win for a 50th anniversary present, but they will need 460+ to do it. No, Dreadnought hasn't been pushed hard the past couple years, but in years past it has run 450+ so it would stand to reason that if Miss A were to actually mount a real challenge, they are going to need to be able to run 460+.

In the Sport, apparently with 7 possible 400+ mph contenders, I think only 3 are going to be serious contenders and its going to be a knock down, drag out brawl to the finish on Sunday (hopefully with no actual contact with anyone.) One Moment and Jeff LaVelle are the safe bets. Relentless however is a much different bird from what it started as, and what it was the last time it raced. After all the bad luck Kevin has had over the past few years with the plane I'd love to see it in the winners circle.

Jets, Go Vampire, because, well its a Vampire.

Biplaness: Its sure to be some good close racing, may the best plane and pilot win.

IF1, Again, lots of awesome racing, would like to see Justin Phillipson do well, because I like Shoestrings. It would also be cool to see Last Lap Player run at the front as well.

Will

Comment

I believe so. It's been many years since that happened, and the sight of it was enough to linger to this day.

Comment

Working...
                              X