Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STIHL National Championship Air Races 2019: What To Bring for a Day at The Races?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STIHL National Championship Air Races 2019: What To Bring for a Day at The Races?

Most forum members have been to The STIHL National Championship Air Races many times.. I intentionally try add the full name of the event in all my posts and thread titles because it gets the search engines to record those terms... GOOD FOR THE SPORT!

That said... I'm going to throw this thread open so that those of us who have been to the event for many years might help remind all of us who will be heading to the most amazing aviation spectacle held anywhere in the world...

The STIHL National Championship Air Races!

Of some very important stuff to remember.. I'll start with... two things..

SUNSCREEN!!
    WATER!!!!!!

It is very easy to get a damaging sunburn at the 5000 foot plus elevation at Reno Stead Airport due to the lack of the natural sunscreen of lower elevations. I speak from experience, I had a three layer, blister and peel three times, sunburn in '65 when I was 14 from a day laying on my back in an innertube at Tahoe.. it's about 7k up there, but if you're not used to the 5k that is Reno Tahoe Stead area... USE SUNSCREEN!

The second is that it is very easy to not realize that you are getting dehydrated when you're excited, distracted and just enjoying yourself!!

Remind everyone around to drink lots of water.. beer is a ton of fun, especially if you buy it at the taps that help fund the purse!! (all of them), but... you HAVE to drink water, or the alcohol in the beer will pull more water out of you than the beer put in!

I'd love it if this thread stayed active just as a reminder to drink water! I really don't have a problem remembering sunscreen but I sure do forget to drink enough water sometimes!

HELP YOUR FELLOW AVIATION FRIENDS

Remind everyone to drink water..

That's my .02.5
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: STIHL National Championship Air Races 2019: What To Bring for a Day at The Races?

Bring lots of extra money to leave in our town.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Re: STIHL National Championship Air Races 2019: What To Bring for a Day at The Races?

The wind and grit are factors too, and for that reason I recommend carrying Chapstik and some kind of eye drops. I also carry a bandana, which can be made into a cover for the neck, or wetted down if it gets hot.
      Be sure to charge up all the batteries you might need for cameras, etc., and remember the most important thing: have fun!!

Comment

HI All,

We have found a much needed item is a REALLY REALLY FAST AIRPLANE!!!!! LOL!!!!

We want everyone to be safe, and have a BLAST at RENO!!!!!

Safe travels to all the attendees, and pilots!

Hoist a cold one for those who have left before us!

Have Fun and Enjoy!

Jon and Tricia Sharp

Comment

I bring a lite color towel to cover my cameras when not taking pictures (between races) as they get mighty hot in the sun.

Water, lots and lots of water. Monday & Tuesday last year the only water I found to purchase was from a vendor in the pit area. The vendors outside the pit area did not have water until late morning on Wednesday. I called RARA and asked for water to be available earlier in the grandstand/bleacher area. I found 6-8 bottles a day works for me sitting n teh bleachers, plus a lot of water in the evening when going thru my pictures and 1 to 2 bottles before I get there at 6:30 AM (I know I get there kinda late).

I also asked for the bleachers to be safety check prior to race week. They said that they are already done. This year a cushion to sit on is on my list too. Section 1 of the GA bleachers, here I come.
          May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis View Post
            HI All,

We have found a much needed item is a REALLY REALLY FAST AIRPLANE!!!!! LOL!!!!

We want everyone to be safe, and have a BLAST at RENO!!!!!

Safe travels to all the attendees, and pilots!

Hoist a cold one for those who have left before us!

Have Fun and Enjoy!

Jon and Tricia Sharp
            I miss you guys!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

We are expecting temps in the high 70s to low 80s all week. Perfect for us spectators.

Comment

Hey Wayner,

Thanks and miss the people! There is a good chance we might be fliting around Reno at PRS and races next year....

Jon and Tricia

Comment

I might be a sicko here, but we ALWAYS bring baby wipes...just sayin
                  "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
                    I might be a sicko here, but we ALWAYS bring baby wipes...just sayin
                    Baby wipes = best thing ever. I always have a package somewhere. In the truck, in the car, boat, camper, backpack.

Comment

On a more serious note, to stay on track with the thread...

Here is our "checklist" for the week:

Lots of money
                      Good shoes
                      Baby wipes
                      Chapstick
                      Shuttle pass
                      Tums or Rolaids
                      Sunscreen
                      More money
                      Back-pack (or something similar)
                      Clothes for the weather
                      More money

For our crew, the races are a sort of reunion of great friends. Of course we see each other throughout the year, but the races are a "guys only" event and we treat it as such. I will admit, we drink too much beer over the weekend, ut damn do we have a great time!

For every beer I drink, I drink a bottle of water. We eat a lot of food from different vendors and that, coupled with the beer, one of us usually gets heartburn. Combine a lot of beer, with all the great food, and usage of baby wipes is inevitable.

We walk a lot so good shoes are a must, but I have done the entire weekend in flip flops.

Clothes for the weather is a must. I think it was 2004(?) where it was snowing on the back side of the course and it was bone chilling cold. The year before, I got one of the worst sunburns of my life and didn't think to check the weather. Of course, we show up with shorts a t-shirts only to find us buying any sweatshirt we could find.

We've got it down pretty good now, but every year we seem to forget something...

Have fun y'all
                      "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Working...
                      X