Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come no swept wings on a prop plane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How come no swept wings on a prop plane?

Originally posted by wadeh;138672I
    also remember seeing an unpainted airplane doing some fly-bys. It looked like an unusual Mustang. I can remember the announcer saying that it had Lear Jet wings and was being built for racing at Reno.

It was my second year that the Air Races when I was there in the grandstands right in line with the home pylon for it's final flight. It still makes me sad.
    Bill told me that flight at Arlington was when Skip decided that the airplane went REALLY fast downhill! So fast, he managed to tear off a gear door in the process... do you remember seeing her missing a gear door??
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by wadeh View Post
      I also remember seeing an unpainted airplane doing some fly-bys. It looked like an unusual Mustang. I can remember the announcer saying that it had Lear Jet wings and was being built for racing at Reno.

It was my second year that the Air Races when I was there in the grandstands right in line with the home pylon for it's final flight. It still makes me sad.
      Bill told me that flight at Arlington was when Skip decided that the airplane went REALLY fast downhill! So fast, he managed to tear off a gear door in the process... do you remember seeing her missing a gear door??
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Technically all wings have sweep. It's just some wings have a sweep of 0. Positive sweep is backwards, negative sweep is forwards.
        Sweep is the angle of the quarter chord line to the spanwise axis. So even though a P-51 has angled leading and trailing edges the sweep is still zero.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	jqfFk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	229458
        Other simple explanations on swept wings

and forward swept wings

Cornell racer is a modified Buckey so still a straight wing.
        Last edited by CubersWrist; 08-29-2019, 03:05 PM.
        "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
          I was at Arlington that year and saw the door come off, or rather just after it came off. I used to work at AWO and got to see most of the shows in the 90s from the east end of the field. I remember it was during an impressively fast pass by Skip, seemed lots faster than the previous ones. Looked like the gear door came off just about show center, my friends and I watched it work its way to the ground after Skip passed. We had no access to announcers or radio so I don't know if anything was said about it at the time. Later on I was told that it was indeed one of the strut-mounted doors.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
            Honestly, it was so long ago that I don't remember that detail. I'm pretty observant, so it's possible that I noticed it at the time.

Comment

Sorry my lack of proper terminology, swept or not swept ?????? I'm talking what does it take to have the plane controllable at mach speed? And the link proves that propellers will do mach speeds despite all the nay saying. I guess I have a problem when someone says it can't be done. I like to find a way that it can be. If I remember a P51 could almost cruise at altitude along side a jet airliner, well maybe not cruise but?

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                Interesting topic. Just WHAT constitutes a swept wing? If you look at a DC-3 or a B-36 (to mention a few) they have swept LEADING edge, but I'd hardly call that a swept wing. Bell experimented with a swept wing on a P-63.
                Always thought Vendetta and Miss Ashley II looked really good and thought they had a lot of potential, but if it was so good......why didn't anyone else follow that pattern? Way back, Miller's Pushy Cat had a swept wing in F1.

Enjoying this discussion.
                It's a bit ironic - at least to me - that the P-63 with the swept wing was known as the L-39; the L-39s we know are straight wing jets:

Early in 1946, BuAer had solicited proposals for a high-speed (jet) day fighter defined by Outline Specification 105. Cdr A.B. Metsger was t...

Comment

Working...
                X