Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How come no swept wings on a prop plane?

Default Re: How come no swept wings on a prop plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    Swept wings are good for going fast in a straight line, at higher altitudes. They do not work well under high G in tight turns.
    The Jet Class is regulated to straight wings but I had figured that was to keep the speeds down.?
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Looking at the delta wing interceptors and the stuff with area ruling, and then forward swept wings, it's all to improve performance at Mach 1+. 500mph at Reno isn't close enough for any of that to matter much.

A swept wing does not automatically make an airplane faster. This should make intuitive sense, because if swept wings made everything faster then every airplane in every class would have a swept wing (IF1 would be the best example given they all have the same engine).

This image is a good simplification to the drawbacks of sweep. And again Reno isn't fast enough for all the shockwave related advantages.
    "young" Thomas

Interesting topic. Just WHAT constitutes a swept wing? If you look at a DC-3 or a B-36 (to mention a few) they have swept LEADING edge, but I'd hardly call that a swept wing. Bell experimented with a swept wing on a P-63.
    Always thought Vendetta and Miss Ashley II looked really good and thought they had a lot of potential, but if it was so good......why didn't anyone else follow that pattern? Way back, Miller's Pushy Cat had a swept wing in F1.

Enjoying this discussion.
    Last edited by V1670; 08-29-2019 at 10:50 AM.

I think
    the Cornell racer has swept wings (I can't remember for sure.) Daryl Greenamyer's Shockwave however has modified Sea Fury wings. Years ago I think there was some discussion on here about Sea Fury wings being a very fast design for racing.

Will
    Last edited by RAD2LTR; 08-29-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knot4u View Post
    The most striking thing to me about that whole thing was walking back into the pits at 5am the next morning and they were gone, they must have spent all night packing up all of their stuff and leaving because there was nothing in their pit other than the beginnings of a growing memorial.
    I remember that many years ago, before my first trip to Reno, I was at the Arlington Fly-In. My young son got to see Bob Hoover's energy management routine in the Shrike and it came to a stop right in front of us.

I also remember seeing an unpainted airplane doing some fly-bys. It looked like an unusual Mustang. I can remember the announcer saying that it had Lear Jet wings and was being built for racing at Reno.

It was my second year that the Air Races when I was there in the grandstands right in line with the home pylon for it's final flight. It still makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by wadeh;138672I
    also remember seeing an unpainted airplane doing some fly-bys. It looked like an unusual Mustang. I can remember the announcer saying that it had Lear Jet wings and was being built for racing at Reno.

It was my second year that the Air Races when I was there in the grandstands right in line with the home pylon for it's final flight. It still makes me sad.
    Bill told me that flight at Arlington was when Skip decided that the airplane went REALLY fast downhill! So fast, he managed to tear off a gear door in the process... do you remember seeing her missing a gear door??
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Quote Originally Posted by wadeh View Post
    I also remember seeing an unpainted airplane doing some fly-bys. It looked like an unusual Mustang. I can remember the announcer saying that it had Lear Jet wings and was being built for racing at Reno.

Bill told me that flight at Arlington was when Skip decided that the airplane went REALLY fast downhill! So fast, he managed to tear off a gear door in the process... do you remember seeing her missing a gear door??
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Technically all wings have sweep. It's just some wings have a sweep of 0. Positive sweep is backwards, negative sweep is forwards.
    Sweep is the angle of the quarter chord line to the spanwise axis. So even though a P-51 has angled leading and trailing edges the sweep is still zero.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jqfFk.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	24353
    Other simple explanations on swept wings

and forward swept wings

Cornell racer is a modified Buckey so still a straight wing.
    Last edited by CubersWrist; 08-29-2019 at 03:05 PM.
    "young" Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    I was at Arlington that year and saw the door come off, or rather just after it came off. I used to work at AWO and got to see most of the shows in the 90s from the east end of the field. I remember it was during an impressively fast pass by Skip, seemed lots faster than the previous ones. Looked like the gear door came off just about show center, my friends and I watched it work its way to the ground after Skip passed. We had no access to announcers or radio so I don't know if anything was said about it at the time. Later on I was told that it was indeed one of the strut-mounted doors.

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Honestly, it was so long ago that I don't remember that detail. I'm pretty observant, so it's possible that I noticed it at the time.