Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAF Increases Presence at Reno Air Races

Just found this posted a week ago...

The Commemorative Air Force (CAF), in cooperation with the Reno Air Racing Association, has announced plans to increase its involvement in the STIHL National Championship Air Races and airshow, better known simply as the Reno Air Races, September 11 – 15,

Seems pretty ironic that they talk about Unlimited's, but don't want their planes to race.

Why even put this out in the first place? CAF has been either in the air performing or in the pits at Reno for multiple years in the past decade, it just seems odd for them to say they're "increasing their presence" when they really aren't doing anything different or racing anything.

Just my 2 cents...

*Thought I would add that this is a press release form CAF HQ, so maybe that means CAF as a whole will be more present at Reno, not just CAF SoCal? It seems like the Dixie Wing FG-1D will be doing the Legacy Flight this year.
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 08-23-2019, 11:50 AM.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: CAF Increases Presence at Reno Air Races

I saw this on fb and everyone was complaining about how they won't let their planes race like Texas Flying Legends did. I wasn't brave enough to enter a mud slinging fight on fb but I'm a bit more comfortable here.

First, the Texas Flying Legends participated. Race is a strong word considering they were under the old 300mph minimum speed limit (this is sad considering Dave Morss got a T-28 to qualify above 300). I guess the P40 and Spitfire did fly with each other all week. But I don't see them having their own bronze heat as providing much value-added to the event. And therefore I don't see CAF refusing to race as being a huge loss.

Now if people feel differently then that is very interesting. Because that proves it's not all about speed so much as it is about novelty, or seeing something special. And if that's the case then that could be a very useful marketing tool for RARA/the warbird class. That gets back to the Corsair class idea from a week ago. Maybe not a whole class, but you could have a special first ever or first in 20 years type aircraft "fly the course". It might come in last every year, but maybe that's not the point? (twin mustang and Mosquito anyone?)
    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Couple thoughts:

I'm reminded of the ol' axiom, there's no such thing as bad press so the fact that CAF is pushing this piece out is a good thing for Reno. Whether or not they race their a/c is their decision and given the nature of what CAF does, I can sympathize with that decision. Would I like to see more heavy iron on the course...well heck yeah I would!

Regarding the Legacy, as of now it will be the FJ-4B, not the F4-U.

I think the "single class" concept is worth pursuing but again, owners of these a/c may not be inclined to subject their hard earned (and even harder to maintain) treasures to "racing", however one may define that term. Reminded of a thread a while back about the "parade" aspect in certain classes. I don't subscribe to that but I understand where it's coming from.

Remember though, we are up against an unwaivering constant...time. And with the growth of other classes it is difficult to find time to accommodate all those heats and races while trying to preserve and potentially build upon the "air show" component.

Food for thought...
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
        I saw this on fb and everyone was complaining about how they won't let their planes race like Texas Flying Legends did. I wasn't brave enough to enter a mud slinging fight on fb but I'm a bit more comfortable here.

First, the Texas Flying Legends participated. Race is a strong word considering they were under the old 300mph minimum speed limit (this is sad considering Dave Morss got a T-28 to qualify above 300). I guess the P40 and Spitfire did fly with each other all week. But I don't see them having their own bronze heat as providing much value-added to the event. And therefore I don't see CAF refusing to race as being a huge loss.

Now if people feel differently then that is very interesting. Because that proves it's not all about speed so much as it is about novelty, or seeing something special. And if that's the case then that could be a very useful marketing tool for RARA/the warbird class. That gets back to the Corsair class idea from a week ago. Maybe not a whole class, but you could have a special first ever or first in 20 years type aircraft "fly the course". It might come in last every year, but maybe that's not the point? (twin mustang and Mosquito anyone?)
        This whole CAF not allowing their planes to race thing is so weird. First off Martlet DID race... Second why was there any reason to send the Bearcat and Hellcat to PRS last year just to screw around? It doesn't add up and really annoys me that they HAVE had their planes on the pylons recently, but won't let CAF SoCal race, no clue why Martlet got a one-year pass. Also CAF pilot Craig Hutain got certified to race at PRS last year, but for what?? There was never a plane lined up for him to fly, just doesn't make any sense...

To your second/third paragraphs, what I take from what you're saying is people would be "ok" with CAF "parading their planes" as long as they actually race. From what I saw from the footage of Jason in the Bearcat at PRS, there is ZERO parading from him if he was allowed to race that plane. The Bearcat and their Griffon-Spit are naturally FAST planes stock. TFL's 4 planes they raced are all 300mph planes, the Bearcat and Griffon-Spit cruise at 350+, that's enough for them to both race in Gold and actually compete with the Sea Fury crew. That's the real reason I want them to race, stock Bearcat's aren't bottom of the field racers, never have been never will be.

If the entry list this year had 25 Unlimited's and not ONE was a 500mph plane, I guarantee the social media slander would be much less if present at all. People just want to see a big number. I think (hope) everyone is realizing that a full gold field of super modified's is unlikely, and they just want a ramp of warbirds to race each other. No, just me?... Probably not.

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
        Couple thoughts:

I'm reminded of the ol' axiom, there's no such thing as bad press so the fact that CAF is pushing this piece out is a good thing for Reno. Whether or not they race their a/c is their decision and given the nature of what CAF does, I can sympathize with that decision. Would I like to see more heavy iron on the course...well heck yeah I would!

Regarding the Legacy, as of now it will be the FJ-4B, not the F4-U.

I think the "single class" concept is worth pursuing but again, owners of these a/c may not be inclined to subject their hard earned (and even harder to maintain) treasures to "racing", however one may define that term. Reminded of a thread a while back about the "parade" aspect in certain classes. I don't subscribe to that but I understand where it's coming from.

Remember though, we are up against an unwaivering constant...time. And with the growth of other classes it is difficult to find time to accommodate all those heats and races while trying to preserve and potentially build upon the "air show" component.

Food for thought...
        Thanks for the Legacy clarification, it was always listed as the Fury officially, but always the Corsair on RARA schedules. In RARA's best interest, *cough cough*, doing all you can to get a bronze Unlimited race back should be priority. Hey, without a major Jet team next year... there's more room on the schedule! (unless you get the Snowbirds)

It's weird to me I don't remember seeing anyone whining in 2016 as much as they are now. The smallest Unlimited class ever, with a guaranteed winner (Voodoo), but that was enough? Miss America wants to win this year and nobody cares because it's not a 450+ race. Whatever man
        Last edited by GRNDP51; 08-24-2019, 09:34 AM.
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
          Well, since I was the one who posted and made the comments on FB, Joseph, let me point out to the point of 'complaining' that there are TWELVE planes entered in the unlimited class. TWELVE. The CAF bragging about 'increasing their presence' when what that translates to is 'making it look like there are more than TWELVE unlimiteds in the pits' is a joke. Yeah, they're increasing their presence, but they're not DOING anything.

That was the source of my issue.

Comment

Regarding them putting out a press release about Reno, I think that is free advertising for the event and a net positive.

What I am asking with my comment, is what do people actually want from the warbird class? Is it about novelty of the aircraft? Is it about the quantity? Is it about racing? Is it about speed? I know it's a combination of those things, but which seems to be most important when it comes to drawing larger crowds?

This is important for the class because it should fundamentally direct who they are trying to attract to the races and how they direct their fundraising. If it's about novelty then get that Twin Mustang a sponsorship and on the course. If it's about speed then you get Czech Mate or Strega coming out just to make some noise and look awesome lapping people. If it's about quantity then get the T-28s on the course because they will be about the speed as the TFL people only there will be more of them and they will be more closely matched.
            Last edited by CubersWrist; 08-25-2019, 07:04 AM.
            "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Working...
            X