New Members - Russian Flood - SOLVED! Sign Up Open Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Members - Russian Flood - SOLVED! Sign Up Open Again

Pretty sure I posted a while ago that I'd had to turn off new membership applications due to a TORRENT of fake new member applications. This flood was and is a bit different than we've seen before in that it seems to be a real person. I received an email requesting a new membership, tried turning it back on and instantly was flooded with bogus new signups. They also actually go through the email confirmation process and get messages into the new member review queue.. I don't think you guys see them (except mods) but it winds up being a lot of spam messages that have to be manually weeded out.. harder yet, the one by one process of deleting the new memberships!.

So, EVERY year about this time, like clockwork, RIGHT BEFORE RENO, we get this same sort of freakin' cyber attack. Always routed through some hated country.. Sort of odd that it is always right around our busiest time...

Disgruntled Russian fan?

Sort of inconvenient....
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Had to Turn Off New Members - Russian Flood ?

Hey Wayne maybe the Russians are mad that the "Yak" isn't racing this year
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
      Hey Wayne maybe the Russians are mad that the "Yak" isn't racing this year
      Aww Bob, I wish I could just go to sleep thinking that's all that it is.. again, kind of funny that the interference is always right before and during RENO.. unfortunately, as we all know, anyone can spoof a sender phone number for a bogus robo call.. Same thing possible with stuff like is happening at the board right now,

Dunno, seems sort of un American to pretend you're Russian to attack a website mostly dedicated to aviation history and the sport of Air Racing
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

If someone really wants to join, which happens a LOT at this time of year, click on the contact button and email me! I'll set it up!

At this point, if I open it up, the database would be flooded by the time I could next get to it to delete bogus memberships..

Again.. Most of these attacks are from IP addresses within the Russian Federation!

Actually.. I dunno…

BUT I'm not gonna say so here!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: New Members - Russian Flood - Let's try this again

Since we've had some new VALID membership applications over the race week, and I've missed some of them, I'm gonna try opening it up again...

Fingers crossed!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: New Members - Russian Flood - Let's try this again DIDN'T WORK

You can compare the time between last post and this as to how long it took to be "discovered" again.... had to turn it off, flood started over!

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Implement the pay to be a member policy and open it back up. Then when they reveal themselves to be spammers ban them. Free funding!
              "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                Implement the pay to be a member policy and open it back up. Then when they reveal themselves to be spammers ban them. Free funding!
                Actually, so far, I've been able to open up new memberships via firewall settings.

My methods may get circumvented, however, I'm back in action and I'm watching and implementing blocks wherever I can!

I'm actually thrilled at the moment, my forever home I'm in the process of moving into lost all power!

We're still in the motorhome, but using shore power from the "BatCave" (I'll explain later, or I've probably done so elsewhere... old man!)

Anyway, this place came with a 100 amp Generac automated system...

Power goes off, triggers whatever it triggers on the motorhome, I notice TV off.. bout twenty seconds later, I hear the natural gas powered Generac unit fire up, few seconds later... if not for the sound of the gen, I'd not know we were on power from it!

Life is good!

Bout to move the server to a 24 to 36 to 48 month prepaid plan, but I'm concerned that if I do that and we get a dog of a new host, we're stuck!

Funding from you guys is gonna make it possible to maybe do a 6 month trial, then get the two to four year plan, PREPAID!

You guys pickin' up the slack is truly what allowed me to take a realistic look at my pension and Social Security potential monthly income.. losing the $200+ monthly server bill tipped my budget just far enough to partner with BeerNazi and get the forever home... DAMN I get off topic!!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wow, actually through some research and refreshing on "Rules"..

Flood gone, for now!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Although, I think there is a limited window to promote the sport via this media, (normal email)

I ponder just how we can grow the excitement via word to mouth!

Then, I think maybe, you guys will submit stuff!

I will in the near future make it easier to upload really epic photos!

Wayne
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                      Although, I think there is a limited window to promote the sport via this media, (normal email)

I ponder just how we can grow the excitement via word to mouth!

Then, I think maybe, you guys will submit stuff!

I will in the near future make it easier to upload really epic photos!

Wayne
                      Have you considered using Xenforo? Some of the other boards I frequent use it as a platform and it seems to work okay.

Comment

SOLVED!

Blocked the bastards!

New memberships open again!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                        X