Thread: New Members - Russian Flood - Let's try this again DIDN'T WORK

Exclamation New Members - Russian Flood - Let's try this again DIDN'T WORK

Pretty sure I posted a while ago that I'd had to turn off new membership applications due to a TORRENT of fake new member applications. This flood was and is a bit different than we've seen before in that it seems to be a real person. I received an email requesting a new membership, tried turning it back on and instantly was flooded with bogus new signups. They also actually go through the email confirmation process and get messages into the new member review queue.. I don't think you guys see them (except mods) but it winds up being a lot of spam messages that have to be manually weeded out.. harder yet, the one by one process of deleting the new memberships!.

So, EVERY year about this time, like clockwork, RIGHT BEFORE RENO, we get this same sort of freakin' cyber attack. Always routed through some hated country.. Sort of odd that it is always right around our busiest time...

Disgruntled Russian fan?

Sort of inconvenient....
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Default Re: Had to Turn Off New Members - Russian Flood ?

Hey Wayne maybe the Russians are mad that the "Yak" isn't racing this year
    Lockheed Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
    Hey Wayne maybe the Russians are mad that the "Yak" isn't racing this year
    Aww Bob, I wish I could just go to sleep thinking that's all that it is.. again, kind of funny that the interference is always right before and during RENO.. unfortunately, as we all know, anyone can spoof a sender phone number for a bogus robo call.. Same thing possible with stuff like is happening at the board right now,

Dunno, seems sort of un American to pretend you're Russian to attack a website mostly dedicated to aviation history and the sport of Air Racing
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

If someone really wants to join, which happens a LOT at this time of year, click on the contact button and email me! I'll set it up!

At this point, if I open it up, the database would be flooded by the time I could next get to it to delete bogus memberships..

Again.. Most of these attacks are from IP addresses within the Russian Federation!

Actually.. I dunno…

BUT I'm not gonna say so here!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Default Re: New Members - Russian Flood - Let's try this again

Since we've had some new VALID membership applications over the race week, and I've missed some of them, I'm gonna try opening it up again...

Fingers crossed!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Angry Re: New Members - Russian Flood - Let's try this again DIDN'T WORK

You can compare the time between last post and this as to how long it took to be "discovered" again.... had to turn it off, flood started over!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Default Re: New Members - Russian Flood - Let's try this again DIDN'T WORK

Implement the pay to be a member policy and open it back up. Then when they reveal themselves to be spammers ban them. Free funding!
    "young" Thomas