Reno 2019 Finalized Performer List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno 2019 Finalized Performer List

Taken from RARA's press release on their site, wonder what happened to the Immortal Red Baron? Good list

STOL Drag Racing Demonstration – September 12–15
    The world’s largest backcountry fly-in is making its way to Reno. The STOL Drag Racing Demonstration gives a new spin to traditional competition top fuel drag racing style. STOL stands for short take-off and landing. The rules are simple, pilots fly a 3/4 mile straightaway down and back side by side, land on a marker and must come to a complete stop prior to turning around. The first pilot that comes to a complete stop wins.

F-18 Legacy Flight – September 12–15
    F-18 Legacy Flight will be performed by the VFA-122 Demonstration Team with two FA-18E/F Super Hornet aircrafts. The Strike Fighter Squadron 122 (VFA-122) also known as the “Flying Eagles” are a United States Navy F/A-18E/F Super Hornet and F/A-18 Hornet Fleet Replacement Squadron. The F-18 will be joined by a historical Navy aircraft.

Michael Wiskus and the Lucas Oil Airshow – September 12–15
    See world-class aerobatics with Michael Wiskus in the Lucas Oil Airshows Pitts Biplane as he performs double hammerhead rolls to slowing the airplane down to zero airspeed. Michael has owned the Lucas Oil Pitts S-1-11B since 2000 and, with the help of Tom Kerns, rebuilt it after purchasing it on Ebay as a wreck. The Lucas Oil Pitts has been extremely modified from its original build, adding full span ailerons for a 400º per second roll rate, 60% larger rudder and elevator for more authority, and a longer gear allowing Michael to stand the aircraft up in place without hitting the propeller.

Commemorative Air Force – September 12-15
    Watch an aerial demonstration of World War II aircraft including a F8F Bearcat, a F6F Hellcat, a PBJ Mitchell, and a A6M by the Commemorative Air Force (CAF). The mission of CAF is to restore and preserve aircraft in flying condition from World War II and other military conflicts for the education and enjoyment of Americans. CAF is now one of the largest air forces in the world with 13,000 members and a fleet of more than 175 aircraft.

Rob Holland – September 12–15
    World-renowned aerobatic pilot and airshow performer Rob Holland will in Reno for the first time to performing his “Ultimate Airshow” at the STIHL National Championship Air Races. Holland is an eight-time U.S. National Aerobatic Champion, four-time world freestyle champion and 24-time international media holder. Currently Holland’s aircraft is a MXS-RH designed and built by MX Aircraft to bring an impressive airshow of innovated maneuvers to spectators.

U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds – September 14 & 15
    The U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds are an official air demonstration squadron proudly serving our country and providing air shows across the world. The American Airmen have an hour-long demonstration showcasing excellence and celebrating American patriotism. Attendees on Friday, Sept. 13 will also be treated to their practice show. The U.S. Airforce Thunderbirds started in 1953 at the Luke Air Force Base located outside of Phoenix, AZ and are now currently located at Nellis Airforce Base outside of Las Vegas, NV.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Reno 2019 Finalized Performer List

Thought I would add some more of my own knowledge to the list:

-7 Unlimited races, only one on Thursday

-Medallion F1 races confirmed

-Thunderbirds 45 minute show, staging out of Reno/Tahoe

-Legacy Flight with a Corsair rather than the Fury, which surprises me because I don't know which Corsair will do it..?

-AWESOME job with entertainment after racers take off and form up. A third of the races during the day (starting Thursday) have entertainment during the form up, this entertainment includes the STOL drag demo two or three times a day, Draco STOL and max climb demo once a day, and the HondaJet demo once a day.

Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

So why are the Thunderbirds staging out of Reno/Tahoe? Having them on the ramp and blasting off in front of the crowd should be part of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapskater View Post
        So why are the Thunderbirds staging out of Reno/Tahoe? Having them on the ramp and blasting off in front of the crowd should be part of the show.
        Eats up way too much time when they base at Stead.

Comment

Thunderbirds. If they were based @ Stead for the Air Races a lot of it is about money. Car Rentals, ramp space, runway cleanup on every takeoff & security. Logistics. Just my thoughts.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Echoing what Race 5 and Bob have said, it's best for the T-birds to be off-site. We'll get a nice overhead behind the stands entrance to start the show too which not too many shows get.
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

What is this!
              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                Echoing what Race 5 and Bob have said, it's best for the T-birds to be off-site. We'll get a nice overhead behind the stands entrance to start the show too which not too many shows get.
                Jumping in with some thoughts, FWIW:

There are many factors that go into determining whether a jet teams is based on site or remote. For Reno, unlike many other "standard" air shows, it's predominately about time. Birds and Blues on site adds about :45 and :35, respectively to the event. Precious time that can and does support more racing action.

Reno is incredibly time-sensitive and given the growth of a few of the classes, time has become even more critical. There are only so many minutes available between 0800 when we take over the airspace and 1730 when we shut it down. We do our best to squeeze in events while the classes form up around Peavine to keep folks entertained while impacting the number of heats and races.

And speaking of time, the sheer number of a briefings and de-briefings that must occur throughout the week is a consideration. I believe we're at 30+ total briefings and de-briefings (I try not to keep track!). And while some of these daily briefings aren't during waivered times, many are, and regardless, they impact the schedule. Simply can't brief a race class or performers at, say, 0900, and then ask them to fly at 1015. Never an acceptable circumstance.

I do agree that the "ground" component of the jet teams is a part of the show and having the team onsite does permit more interaction with the crowd, especially post-performance. Unfortunately, with a schedule packed with racing action from 0800 - 1730, we have to make difficult, but necessary, decisions regarding that unforgiving and unstoppable force of nature...time.
                Owen Ashurst
                Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                  What is this!
                  Hey Bob, if you're thinking of the post above yours, pretty sure only admin and moderators see it. It is part of a HUGE new member bomb we're having right now. At least 20 bogus per day... I have to manually clean them out, as well as delete the "funny" posts they put in, not realizing, nobody is seeing them except the poster, mods and admin... it'll be gone in a moment....
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                    Thunderbirds. If they were based @ Stead for the Air Races a lot of it is about money. Car Rentals, ramp space, runway cleanup on every takeoff & security. Logistics. Just my thoughts.
                    Having the Thunderbirds at RENO is always a bit of a challenge! They are used to being THE STARS of the show wherever they go, at RENO, they are one of many airshow "acts" that appear in-between what RENO is all about.... Air Races!

From my first year as a journalist at the event, there have been challenges for RARA whenever the big jet acts are there. First year there was a conflict in just who closes the show... Obviously at RENO, it's the Gold Unlimited that closes the show!

Anyway, like Bob said, it's all about logistics, TIME and all of the above. Air Boss could chime in here much more accurately but I just don't think there's enough time in the VERY busy AIR RACING schedule at RENO to make it work with the Birds on the ramp.... LOL... I've used … for years as a punctuation for my thoughts as I type, lately every time I do it.. I can hear Steven Colbert saying "dot dot dot....dot... dot...) LOL!!!!!!!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

So glad to hear the T-Birds are off site. That’s a huge relief. Thanks to all who were responsible for making that happen. I get that all the pageantry and accessibility won’t be there for “the kids” but, as a kid, I never cared about that. I just wanted to see more racing. Just saying.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

A month old schedule posted to the website, F1 will for sure have a medallion race, but this shows it all pretty well.

Find the STIHL National Championship Air Races Planning Schedule here. Check back for updates and get the latest information on the STIHL National Championship Air Races Planning Schedule.
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                        X