Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thom and American Dream won't be at Reno this year.....

Default Re: Thom and American Dream won't be at Reno this year.....

Quote Originally Posted by Race5 View Post
    Putting video of a nearly fatal accident in your top class on national TV probably doesn't help...
    And, did they put a higher price on Thom because of it? Two race planes, two hulks.
    Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 06-28-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Sadly, high insurance costs are a significant factor in the decision the "Full Noise" team made to stay in New Zealand this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Coug86 View Post
    Sadly, high insurance costs are a significant factor in the decision the "Full Noise" team made to stay in New Zealand this fall.
    I'm not sure how true that is. It was shipping the plane halfway around the world twice that really put the brakes on racing again. They knew they weren't going to be back this year, last year because of the shipping costs. I think Graeme said it was about $80K to ship the plane. That was just shipping. I think if they had a shipping sponsor they would be back every year, but so far they haven't found anyone.

Will

That is a great clarification, Will. Thanks.

When I got a ride in Full Noise this April, the owner mentioned two significant costs affecting the decision to not come to Reno this year - shipping and insurance. (There may be other factors, he did not say.) He said they cannot suspend their NZ insurance while the plane is in the US, and the shortest duration policy they can get in the US to cover their participation at Reno is 6 months.

My point in posting was simply to note that insurance (among many other costs, I'm sure) is a factor for more than one team. Perhaps many.

Well that is a bummer. I have heard some teams make out pretty good between sponsorship and t-shirt sales. Nothing that makes money, more along the lines of breaking even. Hopefully they can put something together for next year.

Thought the NASCAR start between Endeavor and Hot Stuff figured into things, but I'm probably wrong.